OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
sknott said:
I know that this thread was discussed not too long ago, but I am unclear about something.

I took Pre-Calculus last semester, got a C. :( I just don't understand calc at all, it's like, I just have a block on functions and I can't get it. I took pre-calc my senior year of HS and didn't get it then, and didn't get it last semester.

So, I am just confused about if a semester of Calculus is actually required. I am going to be a junior next semester (Fall 05) because I plan on taking Organic chem over the summer and so I have to start thinking about applying to med school and everything now. Could I just get away with taking a semester of stats? Or do I have to take the calc. I plan on applying to Stony Brook definately as well as others, but hopefully I get accepted and can attend med school there, at Stony Brook. I couldn't find anywhere on the website about their premed requirements though.

So I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with that school, or just some general helpful info about the calc situation. I go to extra help and everything, and still don't get it, I do all the work as well.

Last semester I got a 2.9... bad, I know. But it was because I had to take all required courses like philosophy and sociology and stuff like that that I really wasn't interested in. Of course, the C in precalc didn't help my GPA. I had transfer credits from another college for genchem and got a B and and A for both semesters thats why I didn't take any science this year. Again this semester I am taking only required courses in which I have no interest in, but I will work much harder in order to improve my GPA. I am pretty decent at the science courses and hopefully they will improve my GPA once I take them. But I was wondering, have I totally screwed up my chances for med school?

Thanks.

1. Most medical schools don't require calculus.

2. Many medical students have multiple C's.

Firebird

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2001
Visit site
Status
Check the schools you want to apply to. There's a handful, I think, that require Calc.

You really need a 3.5 gpa to be competitive. It's not necessary, but know that if you have a below par gpa, your MCAT should be AT WORST average or slightly above average. In that case, you would need stellar extracurriculars, and you would need to stay in a Holiday Inn.

Don't worry about a half dozen C's in all of undergrad. But don't pile a lot of W's on top of that...the more things that stand out (W's, C's, I's) the bigger the ADCOM's frown.

Just start working hard. Trust me, it's a wild ride once you really get in.

Firebird

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2001
Visit site
Status
xathanx said:
PRe calc and Calc is not really similar
Yeah, for most people, Calc is a lot harder. It builds on the most fundamental concepts you learn in precalc.

I actually liked Calculus and so it was easier to me than preCalc. Somehow, my brain works in a Calculus sort of way. Too bad it doesn't work in a med school sort of way.

logos

100% Organic
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2002
Out there.
Status
Attending Physician
xathanx said:
PRe calc and Calc is not really similar

I agree, minimally related. Precalc courses are generally about functions. This is usefull in that it improves ones algebra skills, which are very necessary in calc. The material itself is largely esoteric and unrelated to calc.