Calculus requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneLove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took calc in high school under cw post SCALE program. It was actually taught in my hs with a normal hs math teacher but I receieved credit for it. Do i need to retake calc? Also would I need to send this grade to amcas? I think my gpa was around a 3.3 one semester and 3.66 for teh other. Thanks

PS The credit shows on my transcript as MTH221 and MTH222 (calc and analytical geometry I and II) and it gave me 8 total credits.

Thanks y'all :D

Members don't see this ad.

OneLove said:
I took calc in high school under cw post SCALE program. It was actually taught in my hs with a normal hs math teacher but I receieved credit for it. Do i need to retake calc? Also would I need to send this grade to amcas? I think my gpa was around a 3.3 one semester and 3.66 for teh other. Thanks

PS The credit shows on my transcript as MTH221 and MTH222 (calc and analytical geometry I and II) and it gave me 8 total credits.

I wouldn't think you would have to retake them - but ask your premed advisor and make sure it satisfies your degree requirements at your particular school, for your particular major.

OneLove said:

I got really screwed by counting on credit for classes taken in H.S. In fact, although I graduated from Bioengineering in 2003, I have to re-enter school this spring quarter.

Why? A 5 on the Biology AP was enough to get me out of the college biology requirements. Contrary to the pre-med counselor's advice, even though AP Bio appears on my transcript I must take it over in college to meet pre-med reqs for many schools.. So I must pick up Biology Lower Division 1 along with Biochem and the final section of O-chem.

Moral: Take calc over while it is fresh in your mind and you can get an A. Then you will not have to narrow med school choices to those who will accept your calc credit.

Members don't see this ad :)
did your ap grade give you a grade on a 4.0 scale and count as a transfer credit from another college?

OneLove said:

I have no idea what your first sentence means, but if you received college credit (not just a waiver) and it is on your college transcript, it counts. That means it goes to amcas and you don't have to take it again.

i took calculus in highschool from a highschool teacher, paid for junior college credit, transferred it to the college i actually attended, and it still counted as my calculus credit. you should be fine, but you probably want to ask and make sure.

before I make any final decisions I think the best thing I can do is just find out what my gpa for the 2 semesters of calculus was. I really did bad in high school and I really really hope I don't have to report this grade if its as bad as I think it is. Thanks for the advice ya'll.