Calculus Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sleipnir

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do med schools care if part of the calculus requirement is done at a junior (2-year) college?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reply, but here's my situation:
My major requires 3 math classes (my school uses the trimester system).
So I was going to take one of the three each trimester my freshman year and get them out of the way. Problem is, I started on the second on the math class, since my AP test waived the first one for me. So I only have to take the last two for my major, but med school requires a whole year of calculus, regardless of AP scores.

So I'm wondering, should I just do the last two and then go back and do the first course at a JC/2-yr over the summer?

Any input appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply, but here's my situation:
My major requires 3 math classes (my school uses the trimester system).
So I was going to take one of the three each trimester my freshman year and get them out of the way. Problem is, I started on the second on the math class, since my AP test waived the first one for me. So I only have to take the last two for my major, but med school requires a whole year of calculus, regardless of AP scores.

So I'm wondering, should I just do the last two and then go back and do the first course at a JC/2-yr over the summer?

Any input appreciated.

I would advise against taking a class that you have bypassed due to AP credits. If you complete the two trimester calc classes successfully, you should be ok. I would bet that if you took diff equations, stats, or linear algebra for a third trimester class, they would be fine with that. You need to show competency with college level math. Most med schools have no math prerequisites anyway.

I would advise against taking a class that you have bypassed due to AP credits. If you complete the two trimester calc classes successfully, you should be ok. I would bet that if you took diff equations, stats, or linear algebra for a third trimester class, they would be fine with that. You need to show competency with college level math. Most med schools have no math prerequisites anyway.

Why not take the course I've done before? I'll get an easy A in calculus.

To me, it seems a LOT have math prerequisites. Especially here in CA. For example:
http://www.ha.uci.edu/admissions/index01.html
http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/ome/admissions/requirements.html
http://meded.ucsd.edu/asa/admissions/faq's/
etc...

Do med schools require just math in college, or calculus specifically? (Would rule out statistics classes)

Many of those w/o requirements have recommendations. Take them as requirements. A lot want bio stats.

Many of those w/o requirements have recommendations. Take them as requirements. A lot want bio stats.

You mean for math classes? For most is it 1year of math or 1yr of calculus? Yeah, I'm planning to take one year of bio somewhere in my junior year, along with Physics. :(

You mean for math classes? For most is it 1year of math or 1yr of calculus? Yeah, I'm planning to take one year of bio somewhere in my junior year, along with Physics. :(

Most will say a yr of math, with one term of calc. A lot will say a yr, with calc and/or stats. Most people end up needing calc for physics anyway.

Most will say a yr of math, with one term of calc. A lot will say a yr, with calc and/or stats. Most people end up needing calc for physics anyway.

I don't think the underlined is true at all. I am positive that most pre-meds do NOT take a calc based physics class...

I agree that when they have the requirement, most med schools want to see a year of college math, but only a couple require a year of calc, and most of those will accept a substitution of 1 semester of stats in lieu of the 2nd calculus...the only school I have noticed with a rigid req of one year calc with not stats sub is Harvard...

For most applicants, college algebra and stats will meet the reqs at most schools.

I would highly recommend against taking calculus based physics over the normal physics. You won't learn any more and it won't help you with problem solving for the MCAT.

I would highly recommend against taking calculus based physics over the normal physics. You won't learn any more and it won't help you with problem solving for the MCAT.
Haven't got the option.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends entirely on your college and the med schools for which you are looking to apply. I used AP BC credit for my BS and do not plan on taking calc again (even for the easy As, I feel its a waste of my money). Instead I've taken stats and math models in bio. Most of the schools i'm looking into will take the AP credit or other math classes in their places. Essentially, I'm only taking the additional maths to cover my bases while also giving me some applicable course material. This issue has caused major controversy at my college as I've been told by my med studies board to take linear algebra and multivariable instead (two courses, which I don't think will do much for me in the future). To each his own.

Well, if I want to cover the math bases for all MD schools, and my school uses the quarter (trimester) system, do I need 3 quarters of calculus then, or would 2 quarters of calculus and 1 quarter of statistics work or what?

Thanks for the input.

i would bet 2 classes would be fine, but if you are truly concerned talking to your med advisory board (if you have one) or calling a medical school admissions office (of a school saying they need a year of calc) might be a good idea.

i've been led to believe that having two course on your transcript with MA next to them designating math is enough.

Well, if I want to cover the math bases for all MD schools, and my school uses the quarter (trimester) system, do I need 3 quarters of calculus then, or would 2 quarters of calculus and 1 quarter of statistics work or what?

Thanks for the input.

That should work...they are usually looking for "a year" of course work, and 3 quarters = 2 semesters = a year long course.

Dude, why are you being a prick? VERY FEW SCHOOLS REQUIRE CALCULUS. And NO SCHOOL requires Bio Stats.

Made your decision easy then didn't it. ;)

But he shouldn't be advising others just because he has no choice. The fact is that the majority of medical schools don't require ANY calculus at all. Even the ones who recommend calc are few and far between and most pre-meds don't take calc based physics.

There's no reason for every pre-med to run out and sign up for calc unless they want to. I hate when people mislead others.

Most medical schools require a year of college math. Some recommend calc and/or stats. Only a few require calc. And I'm saying this based on the MSAR.

I agree but yes it depends on the school. Easy way to do it is pick up the MSAR from the library and figure out the requirements and "strong recommendations" and apply to the schools you meet the requirements/recommendations for. That's what I did and kind of what the book is for.

Most MD/DO programs don't require calculus, since you won't need it, and considering the amount of research you'll be reading, probability and stats would be more useful. If you have any questions regarding JC Calculus, your best bet is to contact the admissions office of the schools requiring calc.

I'm kind of new to SDN, and am a sophomore in college. I am using my AP credit for Calculus AB in high school to help fulfill the math req. for some schools, and I just finished a semester of advanced calculus at my undergraduate institution. I don't want to take any more math at all, no stats, I've:confused: just had enough and would rather focus on the pre-reqs>>like orgo and physics.

Is there an easy way to tell which med schools accept AP credit from high school?? I have the MSAR and it does not clearly state which schools accept AP. I've even gone to individual web sites and not every school is clear on this, for example, couldn't find any info on the Duke site. I don't want to have to call 15 or 20 schools, but if that's what I have to do, I guess I'll have to do it.

Sorry in advance if this is such a basic question, but it's an honest question. Thanks.

Last edited:
Your best bet is to contact the schools to which you want to apply. Some schools frown on using AP credit to get exemptions from core requirements (which makes AP classes double-edged swords), as you run the risk of not being exposed to information necessary for the MCAT.

Thanks Quix, I will be contacting the individual schools then.
I'm only using the one semester of Calculus AP credit, because it seems that many schools don't require Calc. or will accept some AP credit at least for math. I won't be applying to CA schools anyway, because I'm looking to stay on the east coast if possible, and CA admissions appears to be a trip in and of itself.
I agree with you about MCAT prep. :thumbup:

Just do 1 year of college math to be safe, imo.

i wonder which schools require calculus, i dont think they are that many..... anyone know any that absolutely require it before enrolling?

Why not take the course I've done before? I'll get an easy A in calculus.

To me, it seems a LOT have math prerequisites. Especially here in CA. For example:
http://www.ha.uci.edu/admissions/index01.html
http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/ome/admissions/requirements.html
http://meded.ucsd.edu/asa/admissions/faq's/
etc...

Do med schools require just math in college, or calculus specifically? (Would rule out statistics classes)

Adcoms will not be impressed by taking classes for which you have already received credit. They can figure it out as easily as you can that it is merely stuffing your GPA. Besides, you may not get credit from your undergrad school for the class if you take it anyway (Be sure to check with your school.)
Schools that recommend or require math are usually referring to calculus level and above. If no specific math class is mentioned, and you have credits for all or part of a year of calculus, I would recommend stats, since a knowledge of stats is needed to understand clinical trial reports. If more math is needed, then linear algebra and or diff equations would fill the void, although I really doubt that you would need to take such classes unless you like math, and I would be willing to bet that most schools would accept your math background without the need for such classes.