calculus requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FT 9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Being a bio major at my college, they recommend me take APPLIED calculus. And i've placed in the last class of the sequence which i have already taken. Will taking APPLIED calculus be acceptable for med school Calculus requirements or should I take calc I, II and III? Honestly all the material is exactly the same, and that applied calculus is more concentrated on rates of change, derivatives, probabilities within an integral, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

If a med school has "calculus" reqs, not just "mathematics", then they are going to want Calculus I. I don't know about your school though, but at mine Applied Calculus is the "Mickey Mouse" version of Calculus I.

Yeah haven't been to calculus yet (dreading it) but all applied calculus will get you is a "why didn't you take calc one?"

Members don't see this ad :)
So Applied Calculus won't work?

Where do Modern Mathematics courses with following descriptions fit?

Limits and continuity. Differentiation with applications. Newton-Raphson method. Integration; the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. Linear Algebra: Systems of linear equations, Gauss elimination, matrices. 2x2 determinants.

Implicit functions and differentiation. Related rates, concavity, inflection points and asymptotics. Optimization. L'Hôpital's rule. Applications of integration. Techniques of integration. Numerical integration. Functions of 2 or more variables, partial derivatives. Linear Algebra: Higher-order determinants, introduction to n-dimensional space, inner product, projections, cross product, lines and planes in 3-dimensional space.

I have one year of statistics and one year of modern mathematics.

(sorry to bump in this thread, but it's not logical to keep making new thread)

took cal I in the summer and ended up with an A. I was close to dropping it too, but decided to stick it through. Ended up enjoying the class so much I'm currently in calculus II which is not even needed, but doing it for self interest