calculus vs. non-calculus based physics... please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre-medUSF

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took calculus I and II classes that were specially designed for life science and chemistry majors. Now I'm ready to take physics and I realized that the pre-req. for physics with calculus is engineering calculus. I am currently registered for non-calculus based physics. I know that some schools require calculus based. What do you suggest that I do? I could go back and take engineer calculus I and II before calc based physics, but it would eventually delay my graduation (currently I am sophomore but I'm on a tight schedule because I am double majoring in biology and gerontology). Does anyone else have a similar problem? Are most of you taking calculus or non-calculus based physics? How much emphasis do schools put on the particular physics class? Thanks in advance for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

pre-medUSF said:
I took calculus I and II classes that were specially designed for life science and chemistry majors. Now I'm ready to take physics and I realized that the pre-req. for physics with calculus is engineering calculus. I am currently registered for non-calculus based physics. I know that some schools require calculus based. What do you suggest that I do? I could go back and take engineer calculus I and II before calc based physics, but it would eventually delay my graduation (currently I am sophomore but I'm on a tight schedule because I am double majoring in biology and gerontology). Does anyone else have a similar problem? Are most of you taking calculus or non-calculus based physics? How much emphasis do schools put on the particular physics class? Thanks in advance for any help.

I've never heard of a med school requiring calc based physics. That would be absurd. Many universities don't even have calc based physics if they don't offer physics degrees/minors.

Most premeds at my undergrad (a medschool funnel) took the "no calc physics for lifescience majors" and they usually did very well in it (gpa boost!). Can't go wrong with that! :thumbup:

I haven't heard of schools requiring calc-physics, either... Maybe I'm nuts, but I would say just take the no-calc one. You won't be at a disadvantage when it comes to the MCAT or med school, I wouldn't think.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
rpkall said:
Most premeds at my undergrad (a medschool funnel) took the "no calc physics for lifescience majors" and they usually did very well in it (gpa boost!). Can't go wrong with that! :thumbup:

At my uni, the non-calc one is actually the harder course. It seems they see it as one of the weeder courses.

The only reason you would need to take calc-based physics (that I know of) is if you are applying to MD/PhD programs. Specifically, I am pretty sure Harvard HST requires it. I don't know of any MD programs that require it, though, and I'm not sure about all MD/PhD programs

willthatsall said:
The only reason you would need to take calc-based physics (that I know of) is if you are applying to MD/PhD programs. Specifically, I am pretty sure Harvard HST requires it. I don't know of any MD programs that require it, though, and I'm not sure about all MD/PhD programs

What he said ^^^

The only reason I normally recommend Calc based physics is because it makes more sense, in my honest opinion, then non calc based physics. However, I don't think most schools care which of the two that you take. So I tend to think you'll be fine.