Calculus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TravisP

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All the medical schools I looked at, don't require it. Stanford strongly recommends it, but its still not required. So im just going to take College Algebra in place for Calculus since its the same credits and I don't like math. Anyone think I shouldnt?

Members don't see this ad.

TravisP said:
All the medical schools I looked at, don't require it. Stanford strongly recommends it, but its still not required. So im just going to take College Algebra in place for Calculus since its the same credits and I don't like math. Anyone think I shouldnt?

I guess if you hate math and think you'll bomb calc, you might want to steer clear. But I didn't find calculus any more difficult than algebra. It's just new material, that's all. It's more interesting and applicable, too.

TravisP said:

If math isn't your thing and the schools you plan to apply to don't require it, I suppose there is no reason to take Calculus. Most schools require a full year of math I believe, so wont you run out of algebra before that? My only concern would be whether you are prematurely foreclosing yourself from applying to schools that require Calc. There are also certain physics and statistics classes some people take before med school (the latter tends to be helpful in certain forms of research) for which calculus may be required or helpful, but you can probably avoid these as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Law2Doc said:
If math isn't your thing and the schools you plan to apply to don't require it, I suppose there is no reason to take Calculus. Most schools require a full year of math I believe, so wont you run out of algebra before that? My only concern would be whether you are prematurely foreclosing yourself from applying to schools that require Calc. There are also certain physics and statistics classes some people take before med school (the latter tends to be helpful in certain forms of research) for which calculus may be required or helpful, but you can probably avoid these as well.

I'll take College Algebra and Statistics if I need a full year. Are there any schools that require Calculus? I couldn't find any besides Harvard Dental School.

TravisP said:
I'll take College Algebra and Statistics if I need a full year. Are there any schools that require Calculus? I couldn't find any besides Harvard Dental School.

Harvard Med requires it, too.

TravisP said:
I seem to recall from prior posts that about 20 schools or so require calculus.

Law2Doc said:
I seem to recall from prior posts that about 20 schools or so require calculus.

Heres a list that I found that don't...

1.Stanford
2.University of San Francisco
3.Northwestern U.
4.U. of Chicago
5.Yale
6.University of Miami
7.Cornell University

I will be happy if I get into any of these med schools.

TravisP said:
Heres a list that I found that don't...

1.Stanford
2.University of San Francisco
3.Northwestern U.
4.U. of Chicago
5.Yale
6.University of Miami
7.Cornell University

I will be happy if I get into any of these med schools.

Most of the people on this board would be happy to get into a lot of those schools. If you have the stats such that you only need to comfortably apply to just those 7 schools, then I don't think a lack of calculus will hold you back. I'm skeptical though... :rolleyes:

Law2Doc said:
Most of the people on this board would be happy to get into a lot of those schools. If you have the stats such that you only need to comfortably apply to just those 7 schools, then I don't think a lack of calculus will hold you back. I'm skeptical though... :rolleyes:

I'm sure there are a lot more that don't require it, but these are the schools I looked at so far. The only problem is that, I think my college requires calculus for a Medical Science major :(.

TravisP said:
I'm sure there are a lot more that don't require it, but these are the schools I looked at so far. The only problem is that, I think my college requires calculus for a Medical Science major :(.

You could always avoid the medical science major. Med schools don't care what your major is as long as you've taken the prereqs.