chan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2004
Status
Hi everyone. I am a Cali resident. just wondering if anyone knew what are some schools out of state, that are friendly to CA residents

Thanks

Jeffy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2002
Status
chan said:
Hi everyone. I am a Cali resident. just wondering if anyone knew what are some schools out of state, that are friendly to Cali residents.

Thanks
Drexel and Temple both seemed to be pretty CA friendly when I interviewed there. A lotta CA applicants interviewing the same day and apparently significant #'s of CA students in their classes. Oh yeah, and stop saying 'Cali.'

skiz knot

Legendary Dr. X
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2004
Somewhere in the middle
Status
UlC has a disproportionate # of Cali residents. I think they need the out of State tuition $

docinthemaking

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Rosalind Franklin in North Chicago-40% of their class is comprised of people from California

DoctorG

15+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2003
Detroit Michigan
Status
Attending Physician
skiz knot said:
UlC has a disproportionate # of Cali residents. I think they need the out of State tuition $
I can attest to that. I can think of about 5 of us just from UCB in my yr.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ohio State, MCW, Temple, Tulane, and Jefferson are all CA-friendly.

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
Status
DoctorG said:
I can attest to that. I can think of about 5 of us just from UCB in my yr.
i bet there are more; i can name 5 off the top of my head; lotta ucb's esp from cdb go to einstein and chicag med.

fakin' the funk

ASA Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
UCLAstudent said:
Ohio State, MCW, Temple, Tulane, and Jefferson are all CA-friendly.
(Almost) all privates have no preference. I think the question that needs answering is "Which state schools are friendly to out-of-staters, especially from CA?" which has been answered elsewhere and on a current thread. But OSU, Vermont, and OHSU seem like a good start.

xadmin

15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
Status
Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Cornell, Duke, Dartmouth, John Hopkins, Washington University, Penn, Vanderbilt. Apply to these, they are friendly to CA since they don't discriminate.

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I dunno if this is "friendly" but 19 CA out of 132 here at Case

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
xadmin said:
Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Cornell, Duke, Dartmouth, John Hopkins, Washington University, Penn, Vanderbilt. Apply to these, they are friendly to CA since they don't discriminate.
If we California people could get into those schools, do you think we would be worried about our state schools accepting us?

canttouchthis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2005
Status
As long as you meet their cut-offs(3.6 and a 30 I think) Miami seems pretty cool to CA kids. Good weather too.

CaliforniaBear

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2005
Status
I agree with the Rosalind Frankin vote. There were a bunch of Californians at my interview session (including myself) and a good number of current students in their school from California. I think SLU also tends to show some love.

Farmers

10+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
Status
tacrum43 said:
If we California people could get into those schools, do you think we would be worried about our state schools accepting us?
Unfortunately we should. I know a Yale MS3, an asian-american male from california with MCAT 36, very high GPA, lots of ECs and research got rejected by ALL UC medical schools. I believe he did not even get interviewed by UCLA. Guess which school accepted him?

Fed Meat

Fed Metal
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2004
Steamboat Springs, CO
Status
An adcom at Tulane actually told me that they are very skeptical of California applicants, knowing that they would almost all abandon Tulane if they got into any school in California.

I guess they admit them, but they have to show a stronger interest in the school.

sunUCB

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 5, 2004
Status
haha, was it that lady - i think she was the assistant dean of admissions? i forget her name, but she interviewed me, and told me the same thing, that they don't like accepting CA residents because they would usually pick a CA school over Tulane......i was like "gee, thanks....so i'm not good enough to even get an INTERVIEW at any CA school and she's worried about me choosing a CA school over Tulane."

i ended up getting waitlisted so i guess i didn't do a good job of convincing her i'd actually consider moving to NO for school.

Fed Meat said:
An adcom at Tulane actually told me that they are very skeptical of California applicants, knowing that they would almost all abandon Tulane if they got into any school in California.

I guess they admit them, but they have to show a stronger interest in the school.

canttouchthis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2005
Status
Fed Meat said:

I got this pretty much everywhere I went out of CA. This is why it is such a crapshoot for us and often we have to beg our way off waitlists to schools we are somewhat over qualified for. I was actually asked in front of all the rest of the students at an interview why I would come to their school for an interview if I'm just going to end up going to one of the UC's. Bottom line is getting into a UC is tough as balls. Coming from UCLA everyone knows kids that got into great schools such as vandy/aecom/baylor/duke/umich and not one UC accept. I guess some of this is because Davis prolly doesn't want to waste an accept on someone who is just going to go to Duke...but still.

scrappysurfer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
San Diego, CA
Status
OHSU, Vermont have a very large number of California students.

I was also asked whether I would be willing to leave California at every school.

However, the California schools also asked where else I was interviewing (I mumbled some of my better interviews).

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
I also think that OHSU is "CA friendly."

I interviewed with ~15 people at OHSU, and all but maybe 4 or 5 were non-CA residents.

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ambs said:
I also think that OHSU is "CA friendly."

I interviewed with ~15 people at OHSU, and all but maybe 4 or 5 were non-CA residents.
huh?

LT2

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I was under the impression OHSU was not likely to accept out of states unless they had "exceptional" applications. I'm really interested in Oregon, but I don't know they consider "exceptional"...