Cali Med School from Out-of-State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sintheta

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a soph a little worried about the admissions process. I'm not from Cali, but I'd love to go there for med school for tons of reasons (you know....stem cell research is legal, great weather, diverse population, liberal, awesome med schools, more laid-back, etc.) The problem is, I'm out-of-state. I have a ton of firends from Cali who are also pre-med, and they're all like "Don't even bother applying, they pretty much only take in-staters." And my parents say that it's too expensive and I won't get in so why bother? Im passionate abt my research and activities, but attend a "grade-deflation school" What can I do to make myself competitive as an out-of-state applicant? Is there hope for me or should I just start looking harder at the schools in my state? :(

Members don't see this ad.

sintheta said:
Hi. I'm a soph a little worried about the admissions process. I'm not from Cali, but I'd love to go there for med school for tons of reasons (you know....stem cell research is legal, great weather, diverse population, liberal, awesome med schools, more laid-back, etc.) The problem is, I'm out-of-state. I have a ton of firends from Cali who are also pre-med, and they're all like "Don't even bother applying, they pretty much only take in-staters." And my parents say that it's too expensive and I won't get in so why bother? Im passionate abt my research and activities, but attend a "grade-deflation school" What can I do to make myself competitive as an out-of-state applicant? Is there hope for me or should I just start looking harder at the schools in my state? :(

Stanford and USC take a lot of out-of-staters. UCSF, UCLA, and to a certain extent, UCSD takes out of state students. I don't have the numbers with me, but its a fair amount. You can look it up in US news and world report.

Getting a good MCAT will help you get into any med school, including ones in CA. Volunteer and do things you enjoy. Then its a crapshoot. No guarantees for any school.

sintheta said:

I applied to all CA schools except for the obvious "out-of-state haters" (Irvine and Davis). It is more difficult to get in, but not impossible. I have an interview at U$C and am on hold at UCSD. Hopefully more to come soon. If you really want to go to California, just as much as I do, you have to take a chance! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
do the cali schools have any additional reqs? to be safe im taking biochem + lab

sintheta said:
do the cali schools have any additional reqs? to be safe im taking biochem + lab

i'm pretty sure that biochem is a requirement only at irvine and usc

sintheta said:

Spanish is highly recommended!

thankfully im proficient, but not fluent in spanish...do out-of-staters and in-staters have different interviews? or is it all the same once you reach the interview stage?

sintheta said:
thankfully im proficient, but not fluent in spanish...do out-of-staters and in-staters have different interviews? or is it all the same once you reach the interview stage?

I got in to USC w/ no Spanish background. I didn't feel like my interview there was anything different than at any other school. Didn't get any interviews anywhere else in CA.

I believe in-staters and out-of-staters get the same interview experience. I've been to two CA interviews and I've met several people from out-of-state at them. Good luck!

sintheta said:

It's all the same at the interview stage. :thumbup:

patzan said:
I got in to USC w/ no Spanish background. I didn't feel like my interview there was anything different than at any other school. Didn't get any interviews anywhere else in CA.

You are right about USC. I know UCLA and UCSD say that knowledge of Spanish is a plus. I think Stanford and UCSF also consider knowledge of an Asian language a plus too. I don't know about the other UCs.

I interviewed at UCLA as an out-of-stater. Definitely apply there...don't know about the other UCs...also stanford and USC don't pay attention to residency because they are private institutions. I LOVED UCLA! definitely boost your community service, volunteer, and social justice activities, as they really value that from applicants, among academic excellence, etc!

this is from the UCLA Admissions information

http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/frames/admiss.htm

:luck:

Residence: No preference is given to state of residence. However many applicants come from California. Acceptees from California are more likely to matriculate at UCLA. Out of 145 freshman, 85 percent were from California.

I think it's ridiculous that ANY of the UCs take ANY out of state students. There are 30 million people in this state and ~600 med school seats available per year at state schools? Compare to states like NY, Ohio, Washington, or Maryland, and this is pretty low.

(and don't forget, UCs participate in WICHE)

By my estimation, there would have to be 3-4 new UC med schools to get Cali in the range of the states mentioned above.

And think of the huge urban centers in Cali that have 0, 1, or 2 med schools: Bay Area, LA, San Diego, San Bernardino/Riverside, Fresno, Long Beach. In any other state these cities would EACH have 1-2 med schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
fakin' the funk said:
I think it's ridiculous that ANY of the UCs take ANY out of state students. There are 30 million people in this state and ~600 med school seats available per year at state schools? Compare to states like NY, Ohio, Washington, or Maryland, and this is pretty low.

(and don't forget, UCs participate in WICHE)

By my estimation, there would have to be 3-4 new UC med schools to get Cali in the range of the states mentioned above.

And think of the huge urban centers in Cali that have 0, 1, or 2 med schools: Bay Area, LA, San Diego, San Bernardino/Riverside, Fresno, Long Beach. In any other state these cities would EACH have 1-2 med schools!

I agree with you. I have heard that UC Riverside has plans of building a medical school, which will give San Bernardino County a medical school (I know there's Loma Linda, but since they are so picky, it doesn't really count for the masses).

it's certainly not impossible, but it is statistically improbable. if a UC is where you want to be, make sure they know it and make sure that you're an stellar candidate that they absolutely must have.

I am a little confused regarding residency, regarding how schools actually look at your residency:

I am originally from Reno, Nevada, but I got to UCD and although the state considers me a resident (I've been here for 2+ years, pay taxes, have a license etc) however the school says I am not a resident for tuition purposes, so thus I am getting railed for that.

Thus I am just curious how schools determine residency. I've heard that some look at your parents unless your over 24 which certainly would not help my case.

Thanks

Reno said:
I am a little confused regarding residency, regarding how schools actually look at your residency:

I am originally from Reno, Nevada, but I got to UCD and although the state considers me a resident (I've been here for 2+ years, pay taxes, have a license etc) however the school says I am not a resident for tuition purposes, so thus I am getting railed for that.

Thus I am just curious how schools determine residency. I've heard that some look at your parents unless your over 24 which certainly would not help my case.

Thanks

Onson?

no more cali med school for me w/ this crappy 3.59

sintheta said:
no more cali med school for me w/ this crappy 3.59

Not true! Lots of people with a 3.5-ish GPA have gotten into CA medical schools, some of whom I know.

Reno said:

Thanks

your school probably has a person who can tell you exactly what you will need to become a CA state resident for tuition purposes. seek out that person in the financial aid or registrar office(s)...

i've heard one must also demonstrate financial independence and have bank accounts etc in CA.

CanuckRazorback said:
I applied to all CA schools except for the obvious "out-of-state haters" (Irvine and Davis). It is more difficult to get in, but not impossible. I have an interview at U$C and am on hold at UCSD. Hopefully more to come soon. If you really want to go to California, just as much as I do, you have to take a chance! :luck:

Just for the record Davis is now accepting out-of-state applicants. I believe we have 4 out-of-state people in my class. It's not a lot but they are being more open to it now than they have been in the past.

LoneCoyote said:
Just for the record Davis is now accepting out-of-state applicants. I believe we have 4 out-of-state people in my class. It's not a lot but they are being more open to it now than they have been in the past.

I heard that it is going to be even more this year.

Uegis said:
I heard that it is going to be even more this year.

That's kind of a bummer for in-staters, though. :thumbdown:

UCLAstudent said:
That's kind of a bummer for in-staters, though. :thumbdown:

from the school's point of view, it's a plus. they get out-of-state tuition dollars and, arguably, an even more selective and competitive student body. survival of the fittest.