cali residency: ucsd vs duke?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somekevinguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In your opinions, all else being equal, which school would give a better chance at a Cali residency (ie for example at UCSD)? While Duke probably wins in terms of reputation, UCSD is a great school in california, so which do you think would have the edge? Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should go with Duke...simpy because you can probably get a higher quality medical education there. I'm pretty sure you'll still be able to come back to CA for the residency assuming you do well at Duke. Plus, why not experience a change of scenery for 4 years? If you're like me and you've been in CA for practically all of your life, you definitely want to experience something else. Best of luck to you in whichever school you decide on.

isn't ucsd ranked higher or am i mistaken?? well i'd pick ucsd...i have friends at both Duke and UCSD, and ucsd would be my pick based on their feedback.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should go to UCSD so there will be more spaces available at Duke for people like me who haven't been accepted yet.+pity+ +pity+ +pity+ +pity+ +pity+ +pity+ +pity+ +pity+

Seriously though, if you do well at Duke you could probably get a good residency just about anywhere.

Originally posted by bell
isn't ucsd ranked higher or am i mistaken?? well i'd pick ucsd...i have friends at both Duke and UCSD, and ucsd would be my pick based on their feedback.

as far as rankings...duke is 4 and ucsd is 16 but anyhow...as far as the feedback your friends have given you, what have they said and why would you pick ucsd because of it? Thanks.

ok I was thinking of darthmouth for some reason...

well i think the feedback about Duke:

A. location sucks
B. student attitudes--no one really works together

Again--these are just rumors---i'm sure it's what you make of it.

UCSD is great for research (definitely don't go here if you don't have a research focus).

A. location sucks

UCSD is great for research (definitely don't go here if you don't have a research focus).

the more i hear about ucsd being research focused, the more i change my mind about wanting to go there.

I think Duke is a very well-respected institution (Not only its medical school, but other professional schools as well). I don't see you having problem getting a residency back at California if you do well in Duke, unless you're aiming for extremely competitive residency like Dermatology...

Is there a third choice???

If you go to UCSD, you are 99% gaurunteed a Cali residency. If you go to Duke, you might be able to get a better residency outside of Cali. I've heard bad things about both schools though, so I would abstain from the voting.

If you are looking to come back to California, its up to you. Remember: schools RESPECT and take a lot of their own. And UCSD IS a top 20 institution. If economics were a factor and you are looking to go back to Cali, particularly the San Diego area, UCSD would probably be a better debt. The duke financial aid is strong, but as I was told at my interview, is overrated.

I want you to make the best choice for you, so I want to disclaim that I applied to Duke but still have not heard back. I do not think this affects my advice, but want you to understand my background as well.

Either way, go at least to second look weekend at Duke. I was told that many students were "sold" at that time. So keep an open mind.

DrNE1

A. location sucks

as far as location, while certainly not as good as sd, i kinda like durham compared to other places ive seen (ie st. louis or houston or new haven, new york etc).

as far as research....i know ucsd is strong in research but if strength of research was the determining factor, id def go to duke with its whole year dedicated to that.

my main reasons for wanting to go to sd is that 1. location 2. residency later at ucsd 3. ranked highly in BOTH research and primary care (im interested in peds...perhaps a subspecialty of peds though so im not definite)

Originally posted by Jalby
Is there a third choice???

If you go to UCSD, you are 99% gaurunteed a Cali residency. If you go to Duke, you might be able to get a better residency outside of Cali. I've heard bad things about both schools though, so I would abstain from the voting.

Are you referring to my profile?
Right now I'll pursue Columbia and Northwestern's waitlists, but am still thinking about Pritzker. If if I don't get in through any of the waitlists, I'll be attending UCLA...

And I withdrew from USC a while back. I just don't think they'll offer me a chance for interview, and I'm just trying to make myself feel better by rejecting them first (Yea I'm sorta in denial) :p

Originally posted by somekevinguy
my main reasons for wanting to go to sd is that 1. location 2. residency later at ucsd 3. ranked highly in BOTH research and primary care (im interested in peds...perhaps a subspecialty of peds though so im not definite)

If you are interested in Peds than it really doesn't matter where you go. You will be able to get back here without a problem. And looking at your MedApp profile, you'll prolly be one of those people I refer to who don't have a problem getting a competative specialty in Cali.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by CalBeE
Are you referring to my profile?
Right now I'll pursue Columbia and Northwestern's waitlists, but am still thinking about Pritzker. If if I don't get in through any of the waitlists, I'll be attending UCLA...

And I withdrew from USC a while back. I just don't think they'll offer me a chance for interview, and I'm just trying to make myself feel better by rejecting them first (Yea I'm sorta in denial) :p

I *don't* understand the withdraw before you get an interview logic. I just got my UCSF JMP interview about a week ago. missbonnie just got a Yale interview today. USC is still inviting for interviews as far as I know. What a waste of money to withdraw. You never know what will happen!

Originally posted by DoctorKevin
I *don't* understand the withdraw before you get an interview logic. I just got my UCSF JMP interview about a week ago. missbonnie just got a Yale interview today. USC is still inviting for interviews as far as I know. What a waste of money to withdraw. You never know what will happen!

I forgot exactly what happened at the time, but I was a bit down emotionally at that time, and I just didn't wanna get another rejection letter...it's sorta like fooling myself and say, "I rejected the school first"...oh well I also withdrew from UVA and Tufts at around the same time.

dude, you were smart enough to get into Duke and UCSD, and you're here asking a bunch of *premeds* about chances at residencies?

better to e-mail some residency PDs in california and ask them what they think.

my sense is that UCSD, no matter what, is a safer choice. however, it's not so much stronger that you should discount other factors altogether. please don't forget to consider location which is BIG, and curriculum, which is also BIG since you're looking at Duke. hope you're coming to second look weekend!

p.s. i'm not sure that bell knows where/what duke is. location does suck, relative to places like SF, NYC, but not compared to St. Louis, Houston, etc. also, from my firsthand experience, students do work together, a lot. but you know, believing rumors is so much more fun!

Originally posted by banannie

dude, you were smart enough to get into Duke and UCSD, and you're here asking a bunch of *premeds* about chances at residencies?
ouch

better to e-mail some residency PDs in california and ask them what they think.

Where is he going to get access to these???

p.s. i'm not sure that bell knows where/what duke is.

I think you are getting called out here bell.

I always love those students at X school who thinks X school is the best ;)

haha...yes i do realize that asking premeds probably is like the blind leading the blind but its nice to always get a little feedback and then sift through that, definitely always considering the source.

And yeah, it would be ideal if I could just email a bunch of residency directors and ask them but I dont know if thats all appropriate.....

I can just imagine...."Im a premed figuring out where to go to med school...as a res director, where do you suggest i go t oget a cali residency?".....

and getting a lot of...silence.........or perhaps.."go where you feel like you should go..if you do well at any school youll be just fine. "

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
Forgive me but did I read that correctly?
Are you still waiting for Harvard, Hopkins, yale, UCSF, and Vandy post interview?
:wow:
If so, why not just delete this thread and ask the following question in a few more weeks once they have all accepted you?
"Cali residency: Harvard vs Hopkins vs yale vs duke vs UCSF vs UCSD?"

BTW, I'm not trolling. I'm amazed. If I read that thing correctly, you'll have more options than just Duke and SD! Congrats by the way. I could be wrong, but I think you should be able to get back in to cali for peds from Ha'vad. :cool: It might be a little bit more diffiult than had you gone to SD, but I think it's doable.;)

Hi...thanks...while I should probably wait a few weeks to figure this out...i just feel like a big decision is going to be made fairly soon and that I want to make sure I really take the time to think about it. And as far as the schools I'm waiting on....I'm waitlisted at UCSF and Vandy...and I really liked Duke so unless HMS comes through, this scenario (duke vs ucsd) is probably going to be the decision. I would love to go to SF but I have no idea about that now until May 15th at the earliest.

Originally posted by Jalby

I always love those students at X school who thinks X school is the best ;)

Good, cause you're definitely one of them.

seriously, i'm not the hugest fan of duke. i just want to stop this vicious cycle of gossipy premeds and preclinical med students and their wild speculations about residency selection.

okay, somekevinguy, you're totally right, it's not easy to talk with a PD. but at the very least, you could post this in the general residency issues forum where maybe, just maybe, you'd actually get a response from someone who knows what they're talking about from experience, not rumor.

Good, cause you're definitely one of them.

See, there's a difference. I'm right.

I would say go with the Baylor scholarship :D .

If you didn't have the Baylor scholarship, i would say go with Duke.

thanks for the input tezz...i liked baylor but..houston.........

anyhow, where are you headed? Hopkins or staying at wash u?

p.s. i'm not sure that bell knows where/what duke is. location does suck, relative to places like SF, NYC, but not compared to St. Louis, Houston, etc. also, from my firsthand experience, students do work together, a lot. but you know, believing rumors is so much more fun! [/B][/QUOTE]

OK I admit I was thinking of Dartmouth when it came to rankings BUT I do have friends at Duke who don't care for the location (actually they really can't stand it). Of course, hard to compare anything to CA :) (sorry I can't help but be obnoxious). Other than that, if Duke is ranked 4, then I don't know why u'd be listening to me. Obviously people think it's a fantastic place to be.

I agree that somekevinguy is not going to get the best advice here--obviously banana is the expert on Duke:thumbup:

Oh yea--congrats somekevinguy--both are awesome schools!

As long as i am in an urban area - i am happy. So it doesn't really matter to me that much anymore.

Chances are that i will be going to Hopkins. I liked it more than Harvard to be honest and if i get no scholarship money (from any school) then that will make it certain.

Originally posted by Tezzie
As long as i am in an urban area - i am happy. So it doesn't really matter to me that much anymore.

Chances are that i will be going to Hopkins. I liked it more than Harvard to be honest and if i get no scholarship money (from any school) then that will make it certain.

say micihgan or baylor (or some similarly reputable school that you applied to---i realized i was pulling these schools out of thin air) gave you a full scholarship...would that prettymuch seal the deal for one of those vs somewhere like hopkins or washu?

Originally posted by DoctorKevin
the more i hear about ucsd being research focused, the more i change my mind about wanting to go there.

the only reason people say this is because you have to do a scholarly project at ucsd which a number of schools are starting to pick up on and implementing as well.

now you dont have to do research for your project....you can do other things... your options are lab research, clinical research, a community service project etc...its not as bad as it sounds from my friend who is an MS2 there.

you want to stay in california, then go to ucsd. my goodness its ranked 16 in research and top 10 in primary care! while duke may be top 5 research but 35 in primary care. (yeah i know...its usnews but i needed something :p) if you want to do peds in california....ucsd is the way to go man. seriously. if you want to do a subspeciality in peds...trust me ucsd will give you those opportunities as well to match to the places you want like stanfurd, ucsf, ucla etc...for peds.

Originally posted by somekevinguy
say micihgan or baylor gave you a full scholarship...would that prettymuch seal the deal for one of those vs somewhere like hopkins or washu?

Definately. Getting a scholarship at a top 20 school is a huge accomplishment. Although there are other things to consider (cur, location, etc), i value 100,000 $ more :)

UCSD is an EXCELLENT medical school . . .and since your are a resident its cheap (reason enough for me). Both Duke and UCSD are known for research, but you can also kinda carve your own path at UCSD if research isn't your thing. I went to undergrad at UCSD so I heard a lot about the med school (which is located on the same campus). Almost every year I was there, someone at the med school received a Nobel prize. But besides the academics the students seemed happy and not too stressed. Plus you can't beat the location (unless you are trying to escape from California). On the down side you probably will have to deal with name recognition issues, but those in the field know UCSD is an up and coming school. Really, go with your gut and choose the school you will be happiest at 'cause in the end it actually doesn't matter as much where you went to med school as what you did there (I know that runs completely counter to what everyone says but that advice came directly from my dad, who is on an OBGYN residency committee).