Calif Licensure with UK/Ireland Cores??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geddos

AKA "The Parent *****"
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My application is pending for AUC. Looks like the the great majority of their clinical affiliate sites to complete all core clinical rotations at one hospital are in UK and Ireland. I'm from California and ultimately want to be licensed and practice in California (FP/IM). I've heard California License requirements are very strict and they require all core rotations must be ACGME certified. Anyone know if there is a way to complete all cores in UK/Ireland and elective rotations in US and be eligible for California Licensure??

Members don't see this ad.

call pat park at the calif med board, she is great about giving out info.

as far as i know, it is ok to do foreign rotations, the acgme just applies to us rotations. for example, i will do all my rotations here in the czech republic, and (pending CA approval, of course) that should be no problem.

good luck.

Pat's direct number is 916.263.2367

Basically.....it has nothing to do with ACGME approved/accreditation of the core rotations. ACGME does not do that -- they only approve PG programs.

Instead, the key is whether or not your school has a legally binding affiliation agreement with the hospital at which the rotation was done. The agreement has to be signed before you did the rotation that....and then, there is a list of things in California law that the affiliation agreement also must meet.

cheers