California 2009 Post Bacs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait, so you guys got 3 emails from UCLA/CDU today, right? The first saying they got our application, then another saying that our app has to be considered complete in order for them to review it and the third email just clarified the second email.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, sorry to hear that Horglassy. I guess we're in the same boat. Good luck!!

HORGLASSY:
How long did it take for you to get your decision letter from the UCLA/CDU confirmation that they received your applications?

This might give us a hint about how long we will be getting a decision letter.

Thanx a lot!

Members don't see this ad :)
HORGLASSY:
How long did it take for you to get your decision letter from the UCLA/CDU confirmation that they received your applications?

This might give us a hint about how long we will be getting a decision letter.

Thanx a lot!

I got one email from UCLA/CDU about three days after my application was "complete". My application was complete on April 3rd

I got two emails yesterday, the same ones everyone else has received.

I really hope it took UCI so long to reject me because they were reviewing my application nd werent sure.

I went in a few weeks back to sit down with Alicia, she is the nicest person ever.

Im hoping to hear about an interview in davis, thats my number one choice.

Good luck everyone

Horglassy530: Sorry to hear about the rejection from UCI..to answer your question about research, I have one and a half years of experience. However, I don't think that played much of a factor in my selection. Best of Luck

I agree, Alicia McNease is probably the nicest person I have ever talked to. How do you go about making an appointment to talk with them?

I agree, Alicia McNease is probably the nicest person I have ever talked to. How do you go about making an appointment to talk with them?

A friend of mine from a clinic I used to work at and who was an alum of UCD post bac emailed her for me and said I should go in and talk with her.

btw it is really really really encouraging that no one has received interview invites or acceptances from UCD.

And im over the rejection from UCI, theres no way Id want to live in Irvine.

Nor-Cal is where I shall live and die!

Horglassy530: Sorry to hear about the rejection from UCI..to answer your question about research, I have one and a half years of experience. However, I don't think that played much of a factor in my selection. Best of Luck

Hey Icure,

I actually meant things like Publications etc.

I assume the majority of applicants will have worked in a lab of somesort.

Again congrats!

These are the updates (or so I heard) about the other UC postbacc's:

UCLA/CDU --> they are reviewing all applications right now and will not be sending interview invites until May 7th or so.

UCI --> also reviewing applications and will send out iinterview invites until May 1st.

We should all relax for now. :)

UCLA/CDU --> they are reviewing all applications right now and will not be sending interview invites until May 7th or so.

UCI --> also reviewing applications and will send out iinterview invites until May 1st.

well im not very worried about UCI,

where did you hear that about UCLA/ CDU

also, on the website it says that after the six week MCAT prep component that you are to move back to your local CSU/UC campus or extension to take classes.

Is that true?

So technically for such a program you would only have to live in LA for a month and a half or so?

Doesnt it also seem weird that UCLA CDU hasnt sent out rejection letters yet

i mean or have they? or do they wait to let all applicants know on one day?

where did you hear that about UCLA/ CDU.
- i called them.

yes, i am also confused about how the UCLA/CDU program works. Aside from the MCAT prep course, does this mean that we cannot take classes at UCLA (if we aren't UCLA undergrads) during the school year?

I spent all morning on the phone with an admissions officer from St. Georges.

lol.

I really think the only chance I have at any program is UCD.

so much for disadvantaged, cuz if your too disadvantaged, your just out of luck.

No humor intended. But appreciated if generated

Members don't see this ad :)
What does "disadvantaged" really mean? in this postbacc case..

Grew up in poverty, and/or grew up without access to normal education. Not white. Not Asian (exceptions to this would be Hmong et al).

I sure wish I would've saw this thread back when I was first interested in the post bac program. I thought I needed a letter from a community service advisor so I decided not to apply to the program until next year. :(

I was also calling the schools myself, but it was mostly related to financial aid questions and how the structure of the classes / advising went. I feel real stupid right now.

well, there's always next year. Good luck to everyone in this cycle.

Grew up in poverty, and/or grew up without access to normal education. Not white. Not Asian (exceptions to this would be Hmong et al).

Which is totally unjust, there are far worse forms of being disadvantaged than simply being poor.

And I appreciate your honesty in regards to race, its not like whites or asians could ever be disadvantaged right?

And I appreciate your honesty in regards to race, its not like whites or asians could ever be disadvantaged right?

I can't tell if you are being sacrcastic or being honest ? I don't think that all white or asian(s) are priviliged, many asians (hmong, indonesian, chinese) are immigrants from third world countries that are often prosecuted for their religious or political beliefs - including myself. Most of them have to work minimum wage jobs to survive, receive little or no benefit from the government, and struggle to maintain their culture.

I personally believe that poverty is a larger issue when it comes to opportunity than race (in California anyway). I've known many under represented minorities (african american and hispanic) who are well endowed because their parents have white collar or professional degree and many non-URM (white, chinese, and Indian) that had to work their but off everyday in class, worked full time, and its hard to catch a break.

But the goal of this program is to increase diversity (race, culture, and ideology) in the field of medicine not to increase economically disadvantage people in the field of medicine.

A white or Asian kid, with meth-addicted parents, who grew up off the grid in and out of a VW bus with a largely unrealized parental intent to homeschool, should absolutely apply to UC's postbacs. For example.

A white or Asian kid, who gets pissed off when he/she finds out about Hispanics/Blacks/Amerindians/etc getting some help with getting into med school, needs to meet some Hispanics/Blacks/Amerindians/etc. Maybe throw a potluck or something.

A white or Asian kid, with meth-addicted parents, who grew up off the grid in and out of a VW bus with a largely unrealized parental intent to homeschool, should absolutely apply to UC's postbacs. For example.

A white or Asian kid, who gets pissed off when he/she finds out about Hispanics/Blacks/Amerindians/etc getting some help with getting into med school, needs to meet some Hispanics/Blacks/Amerindians/etc. Maybe throw a potluck or something.

Well I can understand why people will be upset that a specific subset or applicants are being reviewed differently but overall i think it's better in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't want to go to a medical school without any kind of diversity in their student body.
Ps: your sarcasm is way over the top.

Can you translate that into English please?

But the goal of this program is to increase diversity (race, culture, and ideology) in the field of medicine not to increase economically disadvantage people in the field of medicine.

yeah well i guess its really convenient for those who fall into the racial classification that most augments their chances of acceptances. It also sucks for the individuals who were just as disadvantaged of a different race , and yet have the same or probably even MORE of a desire to work with underserved populations upon graduation.

I guess its just the way the cookie crumbles, if you cant realize that life isnt fair, then being a doctor just isnt the career for you.

I couldnt really give a **** if I get into a post bac or not, I will be a doctor one way or another and will serve the patient population I have always been a part of .

The under-represented and uninsured patients facing the complications of chronic disease because of a lack of access to simple medical care.

And it seems foolish to allow only a certain racial demographic into a school ( to me personally at least not to say that the methodology is flawed) when I would welcome any person of any racial backround into my clinic and treat them as if they were a member of my family.

Dont worry people, god has a plan for us all, it just takes a while to realize what it is.

Is UCI reviewing applications & sending out interviews UNTIL May 1st? As in, stopping their interview invites after May 1st?

Or..

Did you mean that UCI is reviewing applications & NOT sending out interviews UNTIL May 1st?

I sure hope it's the latter. Eek!

I spoke with the secretary at UCLA's post-bacc office. She said that they haven't even begun reviewing applications. They will begin on May 1st. She said to expect to hear from them mid-to-late May. That means more waiting!!! Ugh...

I spoke with the secretary at UCLA's post-bacc office. She said that they haven't even begun reviewing applications. They will begin on May 1st. She said to expect to hear from them mid-to-late May. That means more waiting!!! Ugh...

Wowww. More waiting indeed. Thanks for the info, Manda!

It's somewhat of a quick turnover. If not all, then don't some of the programs start mid June? I remember reading that the UCSF postbac program begins June 22nd. We graduate from UCLA on June 12th so it'd be a quick transition (if I get in, that is!).

Anyone have any back-up plans in case they don't get accepted? It might be too early to say but I want to be prepared. Someone mentioned taking CSU courses or UC Extension courses. I'm looking into that but the only thing is that it's extremely expensive.

Does anyone know of someone who has applied to a postbac program a second time after not getting accepted the first time?

From the UC Davis website requirements:

Be considered an educationally and/or socio-economically disadvantaged* student, and show evidence of a commitment to practice in a medically underserved community;

* Please note: our definition of socio-economically disadvantaged corresponds with that suggested by AMCAS: from an early age, you resided in a low-income community or experienced enduring family and/or societal hardship that significantly compromised your educational opportunities.

So for all of those who are focusing too much on race, if you fit the description above, you should be applying, if you don't then you should be looking at doing an informal post-bac at SFSU or your local 4 year college or one of the prestigious post-bacs such as Mills in Oakland.

Looks like the definition of disadvantaged has been a hot topic here in this thread.

Earlier this year, I met some med students who had gone through the UC postbac programs themselves. I kept in touch w/ them through e-mail and asked this question:

"From your experience, are most people in your program career changers, educationally or economically disadvantaged, or academic record enhancers? Do you feel UCSF's program is geared more towards one or the other?"

Here is the some info that one of them gave me:

"The UC programs tend to take a mix of everybody, including those who you might not think of as economically disadvantaged. They take into consideration the types of schools you went to, if your parents have college degrees, that sort of thing. The majority of people in the post-bac programs are people looking to improve their academic record, which is great. While I can only speak to the UCSF program, I think any of the UC postbac programs are great and worth applying to."

I'm not looking to get into a debate but just wanted to give my 2 cents!

Is UCI reviewing applications & sending out interviews UNTIL May 1st? As in, stopping their interview invites after May 1st?

Or..

Did you mean that UCI is reviewing applications & NOT sending out interviews UNTIL May 1st?

I sure hope it's the latter. Eek!

defintley not the latter. Ive already been declined an interview, and Icure has already been accepted.

yeah well i guess its really convenient for those who fall into the racial classification that most augments their chances of acceptances. It also sucks for the individuals who were just as disadvantaged of a different race , and yet have the same or probably even MORE of a desire to work with underserved populations upon graduation.

I guess its just the way the cookie crumbles, if you cant realize that life isnt fair, then being a doctor just isnt the career for you.

I couldnt really give a **** if I get into a post bac or not, I will be a doctor one way or another and will serve the patient population I have always been a part of .

The under-represented and uninsured patients facing the complications of chronic disease because of a lack of access to simple medical care.

And it seems foolish to allow only a certain racial demographic into a school ( to me personally at least not to say that the methodology is flawed) when I would welcome any person of any racial backround into my clinic and treat them as if they were a member of my family.

Dont worry people, god has a plan for us all, it just takes a while to realize what it is.

Your statement on race being a convenience is pretty ignorant. I wouldn't want you to be my doctor if your perspective on race in this case is just that it is a convenience for getting into programs that help with med school admission. Do me a favor and look at the demographic breakdown of California, then look at the demographic breakdown of any UC med school student body. The UC's are public institutions which should reflect the state they are in and that is not currently the case. That is why programs such as this exist. If you're lucky enough to get an interview, I hope you do a good job of covering up your real character. :xf:

Your statement on race being a convenience is pretty ignorant. I wouldn't want you to be my doctor if your perspective on race in this case is just that it is a convenience for getting into programs that help with med school admission. Do me a favor and look at the demographic breakdown of California, then look at the demographic breakdown of any UC med school student body. The UC's are public institutions which should reflect the state they are in and that is not currently the case. That is why programs such as this exist. If you're lucky enough to get an interview, I hope you do a good job of covering up your real character. :xf:

Is that really what you concluded from my posting? How so? Was it the part where I said I dont disagree with the methodology? Or perhaps the part where I said it is frustrating, but understandable? How is that ignorant at all?

The whole point of my post was to state that disadvantages should be considered equally, without basis on race. They should simply be viewed according to the the detriment and difficulty they posed in regards to obtaining an education.

And btw, just so you know, the Mission Statement of the Post Bac is to

assist students from educationally and economically disadvantaged backgrounds in gaining admission to medical school. The programs seek students who are committed to practicing in underserved communities of California.

In what section does it say anything about increasing diversity or anything of the sort. While that may be the true motivation, it is not blatantly stated in mission statement. And I find it pretty IGNORANT to assume that race has any baring on ones commitment to work with the underserved. Quite frankly, being poor doesnt neccesarily mean one will be empathetic to medically underserved patients or that they might want to work with such a population.

Its really offensive that you say you wouldnt want me to be your doctor because of some perceived flaws you have in my previous statement. When in reality I was just stating simple facts, and my opinions and frustrations. If you cant take a dose of reality without being so defensive maybe your the one who shouldnt be a doctor.

And btw, you mention my true character when you do not even know me. Is this how you will approach new patients as a doctor? With preconcieved notions and judgemental viewpoints? I certainly hope not, because if so, you are working towards the wrong profession.

My apologies if I offended you or anyone on this board, but I had to respond to your idiocracy. And god willing if I do recieve an interview, it will be my true character that gets me accepted. Count on it.

I am sorry, Horglassy530, but I think Tretch is correct, especially when you write things such as:

"i guess its really convenient for those who fall into the racial classification that most augments their chances of acceptances."

You are pretty much saying that if a Hispanic or African American person gets accepted to a Post-Bac, then it must be because of their skin color and not their merits, such as volunteer and clinical work and educational profiles.

Also, this comment is quite a stretch:

"It also sucks for the individuals who were just as disadvantaged of a different race , and yet have the same or probably even MORE of a desire to work with underserved populations upon graduation."

As much as I would like to say that you are right on this one, I do not think that that is the case. In my years of volunteer experience, rarely have I actually seen this. Most of the time, it is African American doctors who take care of African Americans and Latino doctors taking care of Latinos.

The following comment:

"Which is totally unjust, there are far worse forms of being disadvantaged than simply being poor."

Can you please be more specific rather than just saying that there are worse forms? I am not trying to judge you, but based on your previous history of posts, at least on this thread, you sound like you have something against URMs.

From the AAMC website:

"Underrepresented in medicine means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."

Last edited:
I am sorry Horglassy530, but I think Tretch is correct especially when you write things such as:

"i guess its really convenient for those who fall into the racial classification that most augments their chances of acceptances."

You are pretty much saying that if a Hispanic or African American person gets accepted to a Post-Bac, then it must be because of their skin color and not their merits such as volunteer and clinical work and educational profiles.

Also, this comment is also quite a stretch:

"It also sucks for the individuals who were just as disadvantaged of a different race , and yet have the same or probably even MORE of a desire to work with underserved populations upon graduation."

As much as I would like to say that you are right on this one, I do not think that that is the case as well. In my years of volunteer experience, rarely have I actually seen this. Most of the time, it is African American doctors who take care of African Americans and Latino doctors taking care of Latinos.

The following comment:

"Which is totally unjust, there are far worse forms of being disadvantaged than simply being poor."

Can you please be more specific rather than just say that there are worse forms? I am not trying to judge you, but based on your previous history of posts, at least on this thread, you sound like you have something against URMs.

From the AAMC website:

"Underrepresented in medicine means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."

Person X,

Well Said my friend,

I apologize if I have spoken disrespectfully. And I agree with your post. Thanks for keeping it clean while stating your point.

yo, is it just me... or did this thread suddenly get unenjoyable with this disadvantaged stuff. I mean, we all know what the UC post-bac programs stand for and we all applied, so leave it alone.

It is too much of a sticky topic to talk about on this thread. I understand that it is relevant to our application, but the bottom line is that they really just want someone who is willing to work with the underserved. That's it. (TRUST me.. I know, I spoke directly to the directors and admission committee members of three schools about this!)

So...how about we drop it and continue to help each other and support one another. After all, isn't that what this whole forum is about? If not, please someone let me know so I can unsubscribe.

Back on topic: I received an email from UCDavis offering me an interview May 28. I hope everyone had the same luck today. Good Luck and God bless.

I completely agree with you Icure!! Anywho, congrats on another interview!!!! I'm so happy for you!

I haven't heard anything yet! Maybe soon... I hope!!

yo, is it just me... or did this thread suddenly get unenjoyable with this disadvantaged stuff. I mean, we all know what the UC post-bac programs stand for and we all applied, so leave it alone.

It is too much of a sticky topic to talk about on this thread. I understand that it is relevant to our application, but the bottom line is that they really just want someone who is willing to work with the underserved. That's it. (TRUST me.. I know, I spoke directly to the directors and admission committee members of three schools about this!)

So...how about we drop it and continue to help each other and support one another. After all, isn't that what this whole forum is about? If not, please someone let me know so I can unsubscribe.

Back on topic: I received an email from UCDavis offering me an interview May 28. I hope everyone had the same luck today. Good Luck and God bless.

Congratulations! You will love everything about the program. I loved it and miss it very much. I may be a little biased but I believe it is the best postbacc in Cali. I still talk to all of my classmates. I really wish we could have all went to the same medical school, but that's ok.

wow. congrats on another yet interview, icure!

i had my interview from ucsd this past week.

total = approximately 2.5 hrs.

it went smoothly and the interview wasn't intense at all. most of the questions asked were related to my experiences, so i didn't find it too difficult. it seemed as if i was meeting with one of my old friends from high school to "catch up" on college experiences.

Wow, what a nice community we've here. I am new to sdn. I just got accepted into the UCI program today and also an interview invitation for the UCSF on May 18th. So guys don't give up yet, there will lots of interview invitations coming up in the next couple of weeks.

Wow, what a nice community we've here. I am new to sdn. I just got accepted into the UCI program today and also an interview invitation for the UCSF on May 18th. So guys don't give up yet, there will lots of interview invitations coming up in the next couple of weeks.

Lots of good news coming in. Congrats on the acceptance & interview invite! :)

I haven't heard back from any schools yet either. Just sitting tight & trying to be patient. I hope they don't just leave me hanging :confused:

I just received an interview invite from UCSF post-bac, so anyone know how the interview usually goes ??

How did UCSF contact you, was it through email as well?

wow. seems like a lot of people got an interview invitation for UCSF. congrats

I just got my invitation as well. does anyone know how many people (on average) they interview? or do they interview almost everyone who applies?

Sorry for not having posted this before. I have been incredibly busy at work. Has anyone interviewed at UCD? I interviewed about a week ago there. The interview was 3 on 3, i.e. three students per three post-bac people. Any acceptances from UCD or UCSF yet?

The UCD program has always been my top choice for a post-bac.

Last edited:
has anyone been invited for an interview lately?

Here is an update from the schools if anyone is still waiting like me..I called them this morning

UCSD- full...
UCLA/CDU - dont start interviews until after the may 15th
UCLA - end of may
UCSF- end of may
UCD- no response

thats it..