California 2009 Post Bacs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here is an update from the schools if anyone is still waiting like me..I called them this morning

UCSD- full...
UCLA/CDU - dont start interviews until after the may 15th
UCLA - end of may
UCSF- end of may
UCD- no response

thats it..

email from UCLA RAP

"Thank you for your application. All files are under review. We will begin contacting individuals for interviews shortly. Interviews will be conducted May 18-May 29th, 2009. If you have any questions please contact our office"

Only 2 weeks for interview.

Members don't see this ad.

hey thanks for the update about the interviews. do you happen to know anything about UCI?

I had called UCSD today and the woman who answered the phone was really helpful and pretty much gave me advice on what to do if I do not get into a postbac. So give her a call if you want to talk..haha.

Also about UCSD, they are only taking 10 students and have their last set of interviews this week (students have already been contacted). She also said that there were 400+ applicants...so i mean the chances were pretty low to start with.

hey thanks for the update about the interviews. do you happen to know anything about UCI?

I had called UCSD today and the woman who answered the phone was really helpful and pretty much gave me advice on what to do if I do not get into a postbac. So give her a call if you want to talk..haha.

Also about UCSD, they are only taking 10 students and have their last set of interviews this week (students have already been contacted). She also said that there were 400+ applicants...so i mean the chances were pretty low to start with.

I got interview invitation to UCSD yesterday. Am yet to chose a day for the interview yet. I guess i should do that very soon, if they are taking only 10 students...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am quite confused as to why UCSD would keep interviewing if their class is already full.

UCSD told me that they were mostly accepting the 3.0ers and above this year...also UC davis told me that the admissions committe strictly look on the community service/disadvantaged status of a student..she said that they seriously take that into consideration..because its those students that are most likely to work in a disadvantaged community...

I am quite confused as to why UCSD would keep interviewing if their class is already full.

maybe they are taking in couple more...but I prepared myself....my chances with a 100000000 applicants ...is really low.. lol

yea..actually..the woman at ucsd said that 3.0 is too low to be considered. she said the students who have already been admitted to the program have had 3.5+...which kind of defeats the purpose of the program right?

good luck to all of those who got into ucsd and those who have been offered interviews.

Yeah, that is kind of true. What is the whole point of having a post-bac for a person with a 3.5? Those people should be applying to medical school, not a post-bac. Maybe they are career changers. Who knows.

Yes, I agree. They're probably accepting those students to increase the credibility of the program which could mean more funding. They did say that about 85% of their students get into med school during my interview. But, yeah, it does defeat the whole purpose of a postbacc.

has onyone been notified for interviews this week? it's been a dead week

i interviewed at ucsd this week and saundra (my interview lady) told me they were only taking 10 students this year, they're doing this so more money could be allotted to each individual student.

do they send both "im sorry you didnt get in" letters along with "congratulations we want you!!!"????

has onyone been notified for interviews this week? it's been a dead week

no, only last week. ucsd offered an interview like 4 days after submitting my application (may 1st priority deadline) since then i havent heard shizzzzz

oh yeah after the ucsd interview i had to take 3 reading tests

test 1) 17 questions, 30 minutes, 3 passages looked exactly like mcat verbal
2) 80 questions, 15 minutes basic defins of word
3) 38 questions?, 25 minutes?, about 6-7 passages very simple, read a
passage answer questions, like freshman year of high school stuff

do any of the other schools have tests after the interview? cause i was really surprised by this

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
DiscoDee:

did you only interview with Ms. Saundra?

yea, i was surprised with the reading exam also.

i only interviewed with one person, saundra kirk. such a sweet lady not intimidating at all, and the interview was very casual

Does anyone know what the interview is like at UCD and UCSF?

Last edited:
Doctorknockers:

UCSF interview was closed file for me - meaning that they didn't read my file before the interview. I actually liked this because it meant explaining more about my activities/involvements.

When did you get the invite from UCD? When were you complete? Thanx.

For those of you who have interviewed at UCSD......have you gotten any responses yet....acceptances or rejections?

I interviewed last month on good friday and I have not heard anything back yet.:confused:
Did they mention what day they were sending responses back?

Hey guys, - & gals,
Havent posted on here, but ive been reading along every couple of days. Applied to several of the postbacs, just got a reject from UCI today at 12 noon...

Still waiting on UCSD, UCSF, UCLA/CDU, and UCD...

anybody get the shank from UCI?

For those of you who have interviewed at UCSD......have you gotten any responses yet....acceptances or rejections?

I interviewed last month on good friday and I have not heard anything back yet.:confused:
Did they mention what day they were sending responses back?

nope still waiting, i've never checked my email so many times in one day

Hi Postbachopeful,

I received an interview invitation sometime during this week for UCD and my application status was complete late April. Thanks for the info! I hope you get into UCSF! They have such an awesome program! There was another question regarding UCI and as far as UCI goes I received my rejection email today too! I'm not feeling bad about it though I don't know why I'm just blessed that I was invited to interview with a late app. Needless to say, if any of you are feeling hopeless because of turning in late apps, DON'T GIVE UP! There's still much hope! =) I'll keep you guys posted on things as time goes by.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/member.php?u=259304

Hello all,
I've been following the postbacc thread for some time now, and thought I'd register as a member. Just as an FYI, I applied to all of the programs as a first-time applicant and had a complete application by mid-April. I just received a rejection email from UCI today, and had an interview at UCSF last week. I haven't heard from any of the other programs, and am mostly hoping that I'll get an interview from UCD. Good luck everyone, and stay hopeful!

oh yeah after the ucsd interview i had to take 3 reading tests

test 1) 17 questions, 30 minutes, 3 passages looked exactly like mcat verbal
2) 80 questions, 15 minutes basic defins of word
3) 38 questions?, 25 minutes?, about 6-7 passages very simple, read a
passage answer questions, like freshman year of high school stuff

do any of the other schools have tests after the interview? cause i was really surprised by this

Hey, can you explain more about the questions. I have an interview invitation to UCSD, but yet to chose a date... Are all the questions multiple choice? Could tell us more... am really curious...

HEY ALL!!! The more I read on about these post bac programs, the more depressed I become. lol! I will not apply until next year for the program, but the way this year sounds in regards to finances and acceptance rates, the less bright it looks. I was especially discouraged to read about the acceptance of 3.5+ gpas. This is def not my genre. Did they specifiy why this was occuring? Congrats to everyone who is a post bac of 09-10. Please keep in touch and let me know if its worth it! And, in regrds to UCSD... this is my school of choice, but the idea of an exam to get in to the program is not attractive. ALSO! In regards to the mcat... how well do post bacs prepare us for the MCAT? Is it 30+ score or higher? Does anyone know the average mcat score of a postbac graduate? Thanks guys!!!! Remember, if its God's will... Its gunna happen regardless of what programs you do or do not get into!!!

So which UC post bac is considered the best? Which has the best support and acceptance rate? Which UC post bac is considered the worst and why? Does anyone know in which order they rank and why?

Hey guys. Yea, unfortunately, I received my rejection from UCI too. I think we got the same batch of emails. I'm not discouraged like some of you guys too due to my application being complete in mid-april. However, I did have my interview for UCSF on the 15th. It was a very casual interview. I had two people interviewing me, one had not seen my file while the other one had. I hope to hear back from them soon with an acceptance :xf: but word of advice for those who do have an interview coming up, make sure you remember EVERYTHING that you put down on your apps.

good luck to the rest of you guys out there waiting to hear from programs. honestly, I am quite disappointed that it takes the programs so long to respond to applicants. oh well.

also, has anyone heard from ucsf yet, in terms of acceptances?

So which UC post bac is considered the best? Which has the best support and acceptance rate? Which UC post bac is considered the worst and why? Does anyone know in which order they rank and why?

I talked to some of the post bac students and many mentioned that UCD and UCSD has the best program because they provide you with advising all year long and the ability to pick your classes as if you are part of the school, not an extension.

I heard that UCLA and UCSF does not give their post-bac students priority when choosing their classes but rather grouped with their extension program and little or no advising when designing your curriculum.

ps: extension means that you can only pick your classes after all the regular students have pick their classes.

I was wondering if anyone applied to the UCR post Bac. I know they're only accepting UCR graduates but I haven't heard a thing.

I was wondering if anyone applied to the UCR post Bac. I know they're only accepting UCR graduates but I haven't heard a thing.

i went to ucr and even got an interview for med-school there, the thomas haider ucr/ucla program, and i haven't heard a thing form them in regards to the post bac. a friend of mine called them and she told me they basically are taking their sweet time with the applications

Hey, can you explain more about the questions. I have an interview invitation to UCSD, but yet to chose a date... Are all the questions multiple choice? Could tell us more... am really curious...

yeah all multiple choice, basically
test 1 is complete mcat verbal style,3 passages i think and 17 multiple choice questions.
test two is straight defins ex "if someone is frugal they are... A)cheap b)annoying c) depressed etc.
test 3. short passages half a page each with really simple questions about the passage, very simple dont stress this one.

the first test is by far the hardest (at least for me, i hated the verbal section on the mcat)

I just got my acceptance to UCSF!!!! :D Has anyone else been accepted and considering attending? It would be cool to get to know you guys.

Good luck to everyone else with their interviews!

congrats, Hlee. How did they inform you (email, phone call, etc.)? And, did you have a phone interview? I interviewed May4th and I haven't heard anything yet. :(

I just got my acceptance to UCSF!!!! :D Has anyone else been accepted and considering attending? It would be cool to get to know you guys.

Good luck to everyone else with their interviews!

Congratulation on getting accepted,

I just finished my interview at UCSF today and before I left the interviewer mentioned that they already have made their decision on the candidates for this year's program and I should know by end of next week if I was selected. Which confused me a lot, why are they still interviewing if they have already select the candidates ?

Just curious whether anyone who interviewed late like myself for UCSF got the same feeling.

Last edited:
Anyone hear from UCLA?

Congrats on the UCSF acceptance hlee!!

has anyone here been granted an interview from either UCLA program? If you have, how did they contact you and when? I've got an e-mail from the CDU program about a month ago saying that they were reviewing files and I got an e-mail from the RAP program last week saying that interviews will be conducted from May 18 to May 25. Also if anyone here gets any updates from UCR I'd like to hear them.
If I get into any post bac program I need to quickly give my boss my 2 weeks notice.

ucla/cdu posted that they aren't accepting new applicants due to reallocation of budget. Does this mean only reapplicants are being accepted into their program for this year or they aren't accepting anyone at all?

ucla/cdu posted that they aren't accepting new applicants due to reallocation of budget. Does this mean only reapplicants are being accepted into their program for this year or they aren't accepting anyone at all?

Here's what I know. They specifically state that you have to be a reapplicant. But they have said that they might make an exception or 2. I;m guessing because of budget issues, they decided to not make those exceptions this year.

christigmc:

I thought that only applies to the UCLA Reapplicant Program (RAP) and not for the UCLA/CDU program.

How is it going guys/gals?

Where did ucla/cdu post this? Have also heard nothing back from them...

i received a phone call today from teresa inviting me to an interview for ucr post bac, she said you interview with her and Dr Schuller (?)

CONGRATS HLEE!!!! SO DOPE!

Now I'm worried. Unfortunately, I didn't make priority deadline because one of my LOR writers was sick and couldn't send it in on time :-( . My interview is not till Friday. I really hope the there's still room in the class...I wonder if there's a wait list..

Same here, my one of my LOR writer was in the east coast so took him an additional month to send them in.

Good Luck on your interview.

Did anyone get this email from UCLA/CDU?

Dear Applicants to UCLA/CDU Postbaccalaureate Program,

Due to budget reallocations, the UCLA/CDU program will not be accepting new participants for the 2009-10 program. All of the other programs in the California Postbaccalaureate Consortium are accepting new participants as planned. If you have applied only to the UCLA/CDU program you may want to consider resubmitting your application for the other programs to review. You can do this by contacting the Central Administrator at [email protected] to request your application be reopened. Even though the official deadlines have passed, various programs are still accepting applications.

Best,

California Postbaccalaureate Consortium

I called UCLA RAP to get information. They told me that CDU has been canceled this year.

Hey everyone,

First want to say congrats on those who got into your post bacc program!

I didn't want to start a new thread and my questions sort of relates, but here goes.

I just graduated from an MPH program with an extremely high gpa, but my undergrad was a 2.9 cumulative and I believe a 2.75 science. Should I take a post bacc program or should I just go ahead and apply to med schools?

If I should take a post-bacc, do you know if the UC schools give any sort of preference to one of their previous undergrads? I'm hoping I can apply to UCI next year and plus I still need to take my MCATs.

Any advice would be helpful!

Hey everyone,

First want to say congrats on those who got into your post bacc program!

I didn't want to start a new thread and my questions sort of relates, but here goes.

I just graduated from an MPH program with an extremely high gpa, but my undergrad was a 2.9 cumulative and I believe a 2.75 science. Should I take a post bacc program or should I just go ahead and apply to med schools?

If I should take a post-bacc, do you know if the UC schools give any sort of preference to one of their previous undergrads? I'm hoping I can apply to UCI next year and plus I still need to take my MCATs.

Any advice would be helpful!

Well, first you have to take your DAT and see what kind of score you get ?

Second, you have a less than competitive science GPA, which will get your application to be screen out immediately. Yes "Screening Out" do exist in the application process even though many schools don't admit practicing them. For CA schools in general the cut-off is 3.0 SGpa for your application to be reviewed but there are exceptions. And if you apply to an out of state your science Gpa needs to be much higher, around 3.5 ish.

Third, while doing an MPH did you get any kind of publication or international volunteering work ? Why are you doing an MPH if you want to go into dentistry ?

Fourth, What is your (URM vs. non URM) status and are you a re-applicant ? URM generally have a slight disadvantage in the application process and a re-applicant puts your application at a disadvantage.

gl0baltrader,

The previous person actually wants to go to medical school and not dental school.

To milk242,

I am not familiarized with the UCI post-bac to be able to answer your question, but it seems to me that they do tend to prefer students within the vicinity. Maybe someone out there who has attended the program in the past could answer where most of the post-bac students where from.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Sorry, you were probably looking at my profile and saw pre-dent (chose wrong on registration).

Anyways, I did get several publications but no international volunteering. I was hoping med schools would weigh my graduate degree more than my undergrad.

And no, I will not be a re-applicant if I do a post-bacc and I'm pretty sure asians are not underrepresented in the medical field so that would be a no I'm not an UMR.

I might do an informal post-bacc to refresh my memory for the MCATs, but that is costly. I'll probably try my hand at a post-bacc program next yr.

Thanks for any advice.

Well, first you have to take your DAT and see what kind of score you get ?

Second, you have a less than competitive science GPA, which will get your application to be screen out immediately. Yes "Screening Out" do exist in the application process even though many schools don't admit practicing them. For CA schools in general the cut-off is 3.0 SGpa for your application to be reviewed but there are exceptions. And if you apply to an out of state your science Gpa needs to be much higher, around 3.5 ish.

Third, while doing an MPH did you get any kind of publication or international volunteering work ? Why are you doing an MPH if you want to go into dentistry ?

Fourth, What is your (URM vs. non URM) status and are you a re-applicant ? URM generally have a slight disadvantage in the application process and a re-applicant puts your application at a disadvantage.