California bill to drug test all doctors and raise malpractice awards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vanquish

Soldier of Fortune
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
California is a political ****hole.

Reactions: 5 users
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/02/u...-doctors-face-drug-tests.html?ref=health&_r=0

The trial lawyers are at it again to line their pockets. Very deceptive way to further their agenda.
"LOS ANGELES — At a time when random drug testing is part of the job for pilots, train operators, police officers and firefighters — to name a few — one high-profile line of work has managed to remain exempt: doctors." --- I can just feel the NY Times contempt (again) for doctors. Oh well it was nice while it lasted.

I wonder if they drug test teachers? Oh wait, they have unions.

Now I know why I hate places like California and New York.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"The drug-testing provision, its sponsors said, is an inducement that bubbled up in the course of a freewheeling focus group of voters testing arguments that could persuade people to support a higher damage ceiling in malpractice lawsuits. The enthusiasm voiced in the focus group, strategists for the campaign said, suggested that the clearly popular idea could overcome medical industry advertisements warning that raising malpractice award limits would push up insurance rates and costs to local government."
+pissed+

Do nurses get drug tested?

Is the sky falling again this week? I don't know, maybe it's just me. I don't have a problem with doctors being drug-tested. I don't have an issue with nurses or paramedics being drug-tested either.

Reactions: 1 user
Is the sky falling again this week? I don't know, maybe it's just me. I don't have a problem with doctors being drug-tested. I don't have an issue with nurses or paramedics being drug-tested either.
Did you read the article?
"The drug-testing provision, its sponsors said, is an inducement that bubbled up in the course of a freewheeling focus group of voters testing arguments that could persuade people to support a higher damage ceiling in malpractice lawsuits. The enthusiasm voiced in the focus group, strategists for the campaign said, suggested that the clearly popular idea could overcome medical industry advertisements warning that raising malpractice award limits would push up insurance rates and costs to local government."

And yet people on welfare do not get drug-tested.

WTF.

385243_439556352785079_1453509833_n.png

Reactions: 9 users
Did you read the article?

Don't get me wrong, I have a big problem with the politics involved (I have a problem with the manipulative nature of politics in general), but I don't have a problem with doctors being randomly drug tested.

Don't get me wrong, I have a big problem with the politics involved (I have a problem with the manipulative nature of politics in general), but I don't have a problem with doctors being randomly drug tested.

But that's not the issue here at all. The point is that the Democrat party and trial lawyers are using this as political demagoguery to shove higher malpractice awards through on their proposition.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
But that's not the issue here at all. The point is that the Democrat party and trial lawyers are using this as political demagoguery to shove higher malpractice awards through on their proposition.
I'm amazed by some doctors who continue to be Democrats but many of them are the Medicare/Baby Boomer generation anyways.

sigh. California just happens to have my favorite teams and places but the politics here are really asking me to live elsewhere. At this rate, celebs and trial lawyers are the only "happy" people there (I would say welfare recipients but contrary to popular belief there are welfare recipients outside of CA too).

You think other states will follow suit?

I'm amazed by some doctors who continue to be Democrats but many of them are the Medicare/Baby Boomer generation anyways.

Why would any physician support the party that counts John Edwards among its members? It baffles me.

As you probably expect, I'm a proud conservative to the end. I vote straight Republican on every ballot, and support the BJP in India as well.

If healthcare is a human right, musn't that also mean that all humans have the right to doctors' time? which also means we should be working for free...
I'm sure for many of them as long as the federal govt. pays for their food, water, and shelter and loans they'll be happy to be a govt. employee. It's for the collective good after all.

Drug testing isn't free and it's a stupid thing to do. You can't test for every drug. You will have false positives. I have a problem being treated as though I'm about to do something that someone thinks is wrong

Drug testing isn't free and it's a stupid thing to do. You can't test for every drug. You will have false positives. I have a problem being treated as though I'm about to do something that someone thinks is wrong

I agree. Drug testing should only be done when there is a cause for concern, or maybe once when you start a new job at a new hospital or something. Periodic drug testing is just wasteful.

Reason #2,456 why I won't practice or live in CA

Reactions: 3 users

Considering the fact that people have also expressed opinions about drug testing, it IS what this thread is partly about.

Why would any physician support the party that counts John Edwards among its members? It baffles me

Because most of us are mature enough not to choose our political parties based on who else is in it. If we weren't, we'd wonder why anyone is a Republican, given names like Ted Cruz and Todd Akin. I happen to be an Independent and I've voted on both sides of the aisle, depending on the issue. Anyone voting strictly on party is the reason the country is in shambles to begin with.

WTF.

People on welfare have very little money and the point of welfare is to help them survive. Some may take drugs. Welfare at least gives them a chance to survive to get their lives in order if they'd choose to do so. If we take away the little they have, we'd make their lives worse. Do you really think these individuals would try to stop taking drugs and try to learn to cope differently if they don't have a place to sleep, or food? It's much more likely that they'll continue with what temporarily makes them feel better and maybe even resort to criminal activity to survive and maintain their habit.
We can't stop helping the people that need the help most because, well, they need help.

People on welfare have very little money and the point of welfare is to help them survive. Some may take drugs. Welfare at least gives them a chance to survive to get their lives in order if they'd choose to do so. If we take away the little they have, we'd make their lives worse. Do you really think these individuals would try to stop taking drugs and try to learn to cope differently if they don't have a place to sleep, or food? It's much more likely that they'll continue with what temporarily makes them feel better and maybe even resort to criminal activity to survive and maintain their habit.
We can't stop helping the people that need the help most because, well, they need help.

:eyebrow:

At the rate things are going, we may not be able to live or practice in most states.

Maybe, but other states can't afford bully their doctors like NY and CA.

And fortunately, as doctors we can respond to this ridiculousness with our feet. I've spoken with multiple graduating fellows who've told me flat out that they would never consider the northeast or CA because of the malpractice environment and the general attitude toward physicians in those states.

Seriously, your medical school secondary essays have already been turned in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Maybe, but other states can't afford bully their doctors like NY and CA.

And fortunately, as doctors we can respond to this ridiculousness with our feet. I've spoken with multiple graduating fellows who've told me flat out that they would never consider the northeast or CA because of the malpractice environment and the general attitude toward physicians in those states.
Exactly. Only places like NY, CA, or even MA can even think of pulling this ****.

No one's talking about the first time before you're employed at a hospital. This bill is referring to after that.

Neither was I. It depends on the hospital, but many have random drug testing policies for RNs and will absolutely drug test an RN if there is any suspicion of substance use on the job.

lol was gonna say " Yeah so doctors gotta get drug tested, but people on welfare, **** let's fork over that money and not demand drug testing at all."
Silent Cool is my boy

Also f*ck CA. If either of the following happened, my life would be great.
1) California fell off from the continental USA geographically
2) They succeeded from the USA

Neither was I. It depends on the hospital, but many have random drug testing policies for RNs and will absolutely drug test an RN if there is any suspicion of substance use on the job.
Testing if there's suspicion is fine. Periodically testing people when there's no suspicion is just a waste of time and money.

Reactions: 2 users

Hmmmm...

Srsly. I would almost give them a pass for electing Arnie into office, but they're currently trying to hose him in his divorce settlements:

In accordance to California law, Maria is entitled to half of Arnold's earnings during their 25-year marriage, which include paychecks from huge box-office hits like Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Kindergarten Cop and True Lies. Depending on the final figure Arnold's attorneys provide to the court, Shriver would be entitled to anywhere from $150 to $200m

Bill burr captures my thoughts the best.

haha I wonder if thats the reason why I didnt get that many OOS interviews (CA resident) bc of the stigma that I might talk about welfare, Hollywood, and liberals at the table

just for the record I am fiscal conservative, yes they do exist in CA.

WTF.

In all fairness, when they passed legislation that drug tested people on welfare in Florida, it cost them far more money than it saved them. Drug testing laws are ridiculous.

In regard to the main point of the thread, the other thing that should be noted is that NFL players are tested by the damn NFL, not by the government. Firefighters and police are tested by the government because they're government employees, and their employer determined they should be drug tested. Employed physicians are subject to drug tests like any other employee- it is at the employer's discretion, not the government's, that such tests should be performed.

10556502_10154476110015515_895147991893159067_n.jpg

In all fairness, when they passed legislation that drug tested people on welfare in Florida, it cost them far more money than it saved them. Drug testing laws are ridiculous.

In regard to the main point of the thread, the other thing that should be noted is that NFL players are tested by the damn NFL, not by the government. Firefighters and police are tested by the government because they're government employees, and their employer determined they should be drug tested. Employed physicians are subject to drug tests like any other employee- it is at the employer's discretion, not the government's, that such tests should be performed.

Yeah, in truth I agree, but it just makes me mad that well-educated, driven professionals are subjected to drug testing. It's none of the government's business what I do on my weekends, whether that's getting booty at the Bunny Ranch or toking it up on my back porch--neither of which I do personally.

Yeah, in truth I agree, but it just makes me mad that well-educated, driven professionals are subjected to drug testing. It's none of the government's business what I do on my weekends, whether that's getting booty at the Bunny Ranch or toking it up on my back porch--neither of which I do personally.

I agree with you completely. What you do with your free time is none of the government's business. If you're not showing up to work drunk or high, your patients are happy, and your employer is happy, there's no need for the government to poke their head in and make you take a drug test.

Oh hai California, thanks for adding another reason to the list of reasons why I hate you.

I'm just waiting for California to eventually implode from its public unions and state debt.