California Budget Crisis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elle825

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else who's planning to go to (or is currently at) any of the UC or Cal State schools of public health worried about the budget crisis and how it's going to impact course offerings as well as research and teaching funding opportunities?

I'm headed for UCLA this fall and am starting to get concerned. I hope that the School of Public Health will release a statement soon describing how it's going to impact them!

For reference these are from UCLA's faculty news site:

http://www.today.ucla.edu/portal/ut/block-describes-impact-of-painful-96270.aspx

http://www.today.ucla.edu/portal/ut/regents-endorse-plan-for-furloughs-96300.aspx

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, most research is typically federally funded so the state budget would not have much to do with it. As far as the school itself, most of the monies that come from the state go into things like buildings and parking lots, not GA's or RA's. I believe those are funded by the particular college itself, and often out of alumni donations. (at my school at least)

Again, this is only my understanding, I could very well be wrong.

I think you are correct about research - good point.

Based on the UCLA articles, they are cutting more than 100 Teaching Assistants at UCLA alone and all of the professors are taking furlough days, which will essentially be paycuts. Also, the fall quarter course offerings have been cut by 165 course compared to Fall 2008, which is about 10% fewer.

Across the system, the UC's can't hire faculty like normal. Berkeley typically conducts searches for 100 faculty each year and this year they will only conduct a search for 10.

I think if it were smaller cuts, it would be less concerning and would probably only apply to facility expenses, but I believe the UC's alone had to cut something like $813 million from their budgets.

As far as I know, most research is typically federally funded so the state budget would not have much to do with it. As far as the school itself, most of the monies that come from the state go into things like buildings and parking lots, not GA's or RA's. I believe those are funded by the particular college itself, and often out of alumni donations. (at my school at least)

Again, this is only my understanding, I could very well be wrong.