• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

wildcat03

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
Status (Visible)
I am interested in California dental schools and I was wondering if I would have a shot as an out of state applicant. I go to a top 10 school, with about a 3.2 sci/overall GPA and DAT scores all over 20. Is it worth the $ to apply to any of them?

Envision

Envisioning...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2005
Irvine
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I am interested in California dental schools and I was wondering if I would have a shot as an out of state applicant. I go to a top 10 school, with about a 3.2 sci/overall GPA and DAT scores all over 20. Is it worth the $ to apply to any of them?

Apply early and you have a decent shot at all of them. Also, three of the 5 dental schools in CA are private and have no preference of where your from. gl.

About the Ads

H2OPOLODENT

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
UoP/USC I would say you have a very good shot. UCLA/UCSF might be harder out-of-state especially with your GPA. Don't get me wrong, your stats sound about the same as mine, but I'm an in-state applicant and I haven't gotten an interview at UCSF or USC. I don't know anything about LL.

Also, I second the part about submitting your app very early (June). Good luck!

KahunaDentist

10+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2006
Kahoolawe, HI yanking out people's teeth with my h
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
You will definitely do fine with applying to USC's dental program.

I wouldn't apply to the UC dental schools, but who knows...give it a try!!

As for LLU, they highly prefer to give interviews and accept students coming from 7th-day adventist undergraduate institutes. My friend graduated from Stanford with a 3.78 overall GPA, applied to LLU's dental school, and wasn't even offered an interview. Of course there are various other aspects of his application I don't know of. But it's true, from my dad's dentist (an LLU alum), who told me that LLU highly prefers 7th day applicants.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.