California DO student needs help/recommendations for FL FP rotation/residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

familydo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping that a kind Florida DO student will help me as I'm looking for FP residencies in South Florida as my spouse is working there and I need to relocate from California. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm especially interested in the Broward General, Wellington, and Columbia sites.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

All of these residencies that you are naming have their major problems.
Wellington- you get worked very hard, very little pathology, residents say that they are happy during interviews, but there is more than meets the eye.

Columbia - doess not usually fill for a reason, did not interview here

BGH- many residents with recent suspensions or kicked out of other programs end up here, especially in their IM program. Lots of pathology, long work hours, you will learn a lot here though.

the FP program at columbia is closed. they have IM. I did my third year rotations there, pm me if you want details about this program. i have heard the same as above for BGH. Didn't hear that wellington was supposed to be that malignant but i don't have any first hand knowledge. what about palmetto? I have heard good things about that program and have worked with some of its graduates which were great docs. i think there is a good program up in orlando as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Orlando program is pretty good. They fill each year. Palmetto appears to have not filled, but they really do fill. The PD there intentionally holds spots for those doing the allo match. The top and friendliest students each year go to Palmetto. They have an IM program now that I believe is now full. They strongly prefer those who have rotated with them though.

Thanks for the info. By closed, you mean that the fp program is no more at both columbia and bgh?? did you enjoy your rotations at columbia? How are the facilities? I will look into palmetto and wellington more. Thanks. any info you have is appreciated!