MD & DO California doesn’t have enough doctors. To recruit them, the state is paying off medical school debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CidHighwind

Reaction score

Reporting from Sacramento —

Bryan Ruiz’s hands were still shaking an hour after he learned the $300,000 in medical school loans he took out to become a dentist were being wiped away by California taxpayers.
A year out of medical school, Ruiz thought it would take decades to pay off the debt, particularly since he had accepted a less lucrative position at a community health clinic that primarily serves low-income Medi-Cal patients.
“This really is life-changing,” he said.
Ruiz was among the first physicians and dentists told this month that their medical school debt was being paid off by the state. In exchange, doctors must pledge that at least 30% of their caseloads will be devoted to Medi-Cal patients for five years.

“He’s committed his life to this kind of service, and that’s what our loan repayment program is about,” Gov. Gavin Newsom said of Ruiz at a news conference last week touting healthcare investments in the newly enacted California budget. “If you support providing quality care to Medi-Cal patients, we are going to support your journey by providing a little bit of relief on these loans.”
Federal, state and local governments have increasingly turned to loan forgiveness programs as the competition for doctors has become more aggressive nationwide. Two-thirds of physicians finishing their training said they’d been contacted more than 50 times by job recruiters, according to a 2019 survey by physician staffing firm Merritt Hawkins.
California will spend $340 million paying off doctors’ debts using Proposition 56 tobacco tax revenue. This month, the state offered its first awards — 40 dentists received $10.5 million in debt relief while 247 physicians received $58.6 million.
California’s program is aimed at increasing the number of doctors who see Medi-Cal patients in a state experiencing a shortage of healthcare providers. The number of physicians who accept Medi-Cal patients — and the low reimbursement rate that comes with them — hasn’t kept pace with the rapid expansion of the state’s healthcare program for the poor, which covers 1 in 3 residents in the state.

Members don't see this ad.

I eagerly await the public response to the government paying off school loans of people in the 90th+ percentile of income. That said, initiatives like this are an interesting development and certainly a good way for "local" governments to encourage healthcare professionals to practice in their states.

Reactions: 1 user
They are still going to tax the hell out of you. It maybe better to work somewhere else and earn more while paying off your loans?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You couldn't pay me enough to live in California.

...Maybe San Diego

Reactions: 2 users
concerning part of the article, the only reason they are doing this is the bill to expand NP scope of practice was rejected.

Reactions: 3 users
With the recent crazy donations from big donors to medical schools to pay off student debt, I'm praying over the next 4 years that some rich billionaire will decide to donate to my school.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly never got why SDN dogma was that there’s no jobs in California. Seems like as long as one doesn’t want to live right in LA/SF, there’s plenty of jobs to go around.

On a somewhat related note: Kaiser Permanente's new medical school in Pasadena is also free for the first five graduating classes.

If I withdrawal now, can I get the free tuition?

• Haha
Honestly never got why SDN dogma was that there’s no jobs in California. Seems like as long as one doesn’t want to live right in LA/SF, there’s plenty of jobs to go around.

There are plenty of jobs in LA and SF. Some are even phenomenal.

There are plenty of jobs in LA and SF. Some are even phenomenal.

Then why do people keep saying that it’s impossible to work in these areas or that they’re “saturated”? Even though it makes sense that a larger city could handle more physicians.

Then why do people keep saying that it’s impossible to work in these areas or that they’re “saturated”? Even though it makes sense that a larger city could handle more physicians.

Probably because half of the advice on this forum comes from medical students who have no idea of what they are talking about.

Reactions: 5 users
Ahh, another reason to go home to CA. I hope I can get back for residency, thats going to be the major challenge