California: GPA 3.95 & DAT 22 AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamtryingmybest

Reaction score
Overall GPA: 3.95
Science GPA:
DAT:
- PA 22
- QR 27
- RC 22
- BIO 19
- GC 21
- OC 22
TS: 20
AA: 22

Major: Biology
Minority: No
Re-applicant: No

Taking biochemistry and possibly psychology this fall

I'd be interested in applying to all the schools in California and out of state
If you have any recommendations for some out-of-state schools that would be worth a shot feel free to post below!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Just apply to 10+ schools and you’ll be safe. What will really help you is if you purchase an ADEA explorer subscription for $25 and just check out schools that fall into your stats range. That’s what I did and found 12 schools that I have a good chance at. Also, if you do purchase it, make sure to check what kind of students they accept (minorities, etc.). You have a very good GPA and a really good DAT score. I’d be happy with your stats, don’t sweat it. You’ll get interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Just apply to 10+ schools and you’ll be safe. What will really help you is if you purchase an ADEA explorer subscription for $25 and just check out schools that fall into your stats range. That’s what I did and found 12 schools that I have a good chance at. Also, if you do purchase it, make sure to check what kind of students they accept (minorities, etc.). You have a very good GPA and a really good DAT score. I’d be happy with your stats, don’t sweat it. You’ll get interviews.
Thanks man! Got the explorer as you said and it's really helpful :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to get an A in biochem, and maybe take some easier upper level bio classes to boost your sGPA even more. That will help with UCLA, I'm assuming that's your top school of choice. Your GPA is already above avg, but your DAT is 1 pt below avg for UCLA, so the higher the sGPA the better. If you're competitive for UCLA you'll be competitive for the rest of the Cali schools as well.

Your stats are very competitive. Apply to the UC's and try to find some OOS friendly schools that give you in state after a year.
When are you applying?

Your stats are very competitive. Apply to the UC's and try to find some OOS friendly schools that give you in state after a year.
When are you applying?
I'm trying to apply as soon as I get my shadowing hours done :) hopefully within this month or the next

I'm trying to apply as soon as I get my shadowing hours done :) hopefully within this month or the next
Are you allowed to apply and list the future shadowing hours anyways since you are going to do them?

I was curious about this because I plan on doing some volunteering/shadowing in the summer but I don't want to delay the application because of it.

Apply ASAP if you have everything in order. The later you apply in the cycle the less chance you have. I'm pretty sure you can put future hours down if I remember correctly.

Reactions: 1 users
Apply ASAP if you have everything in order. The later you apply in the cycle the less chance you have. I'm pretty sure you can put future hours down if I remember correctly.
Oh wow okay I didn't know that.
Thank you for the information I'll do as you say :thumbup:

do not put down future hours
only put completed

do not put down future hours
only put completed

What do you do if you plan on volunteering and shadowing throughout the summer but you want to apply early in June? Is there a section for future hours, or can you update your app as time goes on?

What do you do if you plan on volunteering and shadowing throughout the summer but you want to apply early in June? Is there a section for future hours, or can you update your app as time goes on?

I have this same question! Do we have to update the schools and email them if we have new volunteer/shadow hours? Or can we just update on AADSAS?

there are a couple of academic update periods

This month/next month are already kinda getting late since it'll take a little bit for your application to be verified and sent out to schools. And then it'll take a little bit more for them to send you their secondaries. You should submit now and update your hours later.
Are you allowed to apply and list the future shadowing hours anyways since you are going to do them?

I was curious about this because I plan on doing some volunteering/shadowing in the summer but I don't want to delay the application because of it.
No you aren't, and I don't think they let you put a future end date anyway.
You can update your app with experiences at any time (I believe) but can only update grades during the two Academic periods in August & December. So, you update your app as time goes on (and you can email schools too letting them know you have more hours to add).
I have this same question! Do we have to update the schools and email them if we have new volunteer/shadow hours? Or can we just update on AADSAS?
I'd update on AADSAS and also email them. Doesn't hurt.
I know there's September & December right?
Do you know if I can add shadowing hours any time? (after I've submitted everything)
Yes and yes.

This month/next month are already kinda getting late since it'll take a little bit for your application to be verified and sent out to schools. And then it'll take a little bit more for them to send you their secondaries. You should submit now and update your hours later.

No you aren't, and I don't think they let you put a future end date anyway.

You can update your app with experiences at any time (I believe) but can only update grades during the two Academic periods in August & December. So, you update your app as time goes on (and you can email schools too letting them know you have more hours to add).

I'd update on AADSAS and also email them. Doesn't hurt.

Yes and yes.

Thanks. Do you know when schools make a decision on whether to invite you to an interview or not? For example suppose you are adding hours throughout the summer, but you send in the application in early June, will schools make the decision on you in June or later once the hours are added? I only ask because I might be a bit short on shadowing when I send in the application.

Thanks. Do you know when schools make a decision on whether to invite you to an interview or not? For example suppose you are adding hours throughout the summer, but you send in the application in early June, will schools make the decision on you in June or later once the hours are added? I only ask because I might be a bit short on shadowing when I send in the application.
I think as long as you mention in your description that you will continue shadowing, they'll know you have hours to add. Also schools take a while to make a decision on whether to invite you for an interview or not, so you really have the whole month of June to add hours before the majority of schools will call you in for an interview.