Quantcast

California GPR vs. WREB examination Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyu2007gal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey - I am a 4th year dental student that was recently matched to a GPR program in California. I was going to take the WREB exam in March but I also know that California just passed a law that will give licensure by doing the residency. :oops:

BUT...Someone in my class told me that I shouldn't take the WREB because if for any reason I fail the WREBs due to patients, etc, then even if I do the residency I will still have to take the WREB again!! IS THIS TRUE?!?! If that's the case I'd rather wait to take the WREB. I'm not lazy and of course I don't plan to fail the WREB at all - but with licensing exams who knows?!? :confused:

Sorry if this is confusing but I just want to know if it is true - if I fail the WREB for any reason, if I am doing the residency program, will I be guaranteed licensure or will I still have to take the WREB? Thanks so much and hope someone knows.

Prosthoman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
don't take the wreb, and as you said and I know for fact that if you take the wreb and god forbid you fail, then even if you do residancy, you will have to take the wreb again regardless.
Smart

nyu2007gal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. I called today and spoke with a lady from the Dental board of California in Sacramento and she confirmed it: that if for any reason you fail the WREB then you must pass the WREB - regardless of residency. So I'm gonna wait - Thanks again for your input!

:oops:
don't take the wreb, and as you said and I know for fact that if you take the wreb and god forbid you fail, then even if you do residancy, you will have to take the wreb again regardless.
Smart

Prosthoman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear aimhigh2007:

If you are assigned your endo in the first day afternoon,
submit all your patient for approval on friday morning
( befor you do anything :) )

I appologise for any spelling problem in advance and here is my experience.

Well, during my 4 years dental school, wreb exam has been the most stressfull exams that I have ever experienced. every minute of it is stress, from the patient acceptance to the last minutes of it . Here is my experirece I and hope you can share it with others.
--Perio clinical 10 point
--Operative Amal 26 point
--Operative Comp 26
--Endo 18 points total
--two computer exam that worth 10 point each ( 20 total)
you have to get at least 55 percent in each section with an overall of 75 point to pass.
my first day:
I was assigned to do my endo on friday afternoon so I did my perio in the morning, I sent my perio pt, you could easily see calculus on the X-ray, so my patient got accepted on spot and I finished perio with no problems.
Notes:
Don't damage the tissue
Don't leave any calculus
watch to not creat flappy gingiva
the perio was the easiest part
make sure get a cavitron
Numb the patient very good
------------------
My endo:
it was in the after noon and it wasn't that bad, however my file broke, and I had to leave it there and condense it with a piece of file in there. I wrote to the note to the examiners and I told them that I am aware of it.
you have planty of time.
Notes:
have your rubber dame ready puched
as soon as you get the permission to start put it on

Max Central incisors are the best for anterior
and mandibular molar or premolar is the best for posterior ( easy access and visibility)

Make sure don't leave any material above the orifice, clean it very well.
make sure your x-ray is clear and dry

-----
My operative experience:
I did it on saturday, my pt got rejected 3 times :(
so I had to chose a biggest cavity in his mouth to prep. That was awefull.
VERY VERY important notes for you:
make sure used Caries Indicator
DON"T DON"T DON"T DON"T DON"T leave even the smallet caries in your prep, that is automatic reduction in most of your points ( almost failure)
in writting to the examiners, if have to modify your prep, use the smallest possible increments.
I left a small caries so I lost lots of pointl
make sure your occlusal reduction is uniform, and should be 1.5 to 2 mm ( measured it with prob)
also, bevel your Axiopulpal line angle

Composite:
my pt got accepted on spot, be as conservative as you can in your prep,
Don't leave caries
My sure you creat a good Contact.
Before you start your prep mark your contact so try to be as close as you can to your original contact.
Mistakes and notes:
Contact, use flowable composite in the box and after curing then add packable composite ( that helps)
matching the shade is not biggy but try to match it

NOTESSSSSSSSSSSSS:
Don'ttttttttttttttttttttttttt LEAVE Cariessssssssssssssssssssss..don't rely on your eyes, Get loops......get a caries indicator.....
that is all I can say
good luck you all
I wish you all the best and I hope you all pass the stupid exam.

gingerhoney

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, does anyone know when this law is going to go in effect? do i have to do a residency in california in order to get a california license? or can it be any residency? thanks

newdentist2007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! i dont know if im wrong but i knew that doing the residency in CA does not certufy u for the license...it used to be like that but no anymore...Am i wrong? HOPE NOT!!!