Quantcast

California IM Residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDre3000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious about how difficult it is to match at the top academic centers for IM residencies. I am very geographically limited to California because of personal reasons. It seems that most of the academic places are highly competitive programs. This is the list of residencies I am most interested in:

Stanford
UCLA
UCSF
UCSD

What kind of resume does it require to have a good shot at these places? I'm from a top 25 medical school, but not a top 10. I'm not AOA, had average grades 3rd year, but honored medicine, 235-240 Step 1, two months of research experience but no publications, and a smattering of volunteer work but nothing stellar.

The overachievers make me believe that I need 250/AOA to even have a chance at these places.

Also, what are the really strong community programs that still have decent matches into fellowships? How difficult are those to get into?

Any other suggestions/information?

Medikit

Plastic Bag Middle Class
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious about how difficult it is to match at the top academic centers for IM residencies. I am very geographically limited to California because of personal reasons. It seems that most of the academic places are highly competitive programs. This is the list of residencies I am most interested in:

Stanford
UCLA
UCSF
UCSD

What kind of resume does it require to have a good shot at these places? I'm from a top 25 medical school, but not a top 10. I'm not AOA, had average grades 3rd year, but honored medicine, 235-240 Step 1, two months of research experience but no publications, and a smattering of volunteer work but nothing stellar.

The overachievers make me believe that I need 250/AOA to even have a chance at these places.

Also, what are the really strong community programs that still have decent matches into fellowships? How difficult are those to get into?

Any other suggestions/information?

Those programs are all very competitive. UCSD is the least competitive out of the four but many good applicants don't get an interview. I think that honoring your medicine rotation will work out very favorably for you and would anticipate an interview from UCLA and UCSD at a minimum. I would also consider OHSU, UW, UColorado, and Baylor Houston. They all have excellent training and are a short flight from California.

dragonfly99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Houston in far away from California.

Your step 1 score is high for an internal medicine applicant. With honoring your sub-I and hopefully your IM 3rd year rotation I would think you'd have a decent shot at interviews at some of those programs...UCSF will be ultracompetitive, and I would predict you'll have a tough time getting in there without being from a famous med school, a California med school, and/or having a well defined research interest (i.e. PhD or pre-existing publications). However, you should just give a it a shot anyhow if you are interested in the place. There are other California residencies besides those you've listed, so if you are willing to broaden the search (UC Davis, UC Irvine, private and community hospitals, etc.) I'm sure you could get a spot somewhere decent in California. Just apply broadly and see what happens.

Other things that might help with getting a particular residency:
- get a LOR from a person who trained @one of the places you are interested in (if any of your faculty actually came from California). People always pay more attention to LOR's from someone they know. It's just life.
-An away rotation might help, though not that many people do them for internal medicine.
-You could try right now to set up a research rotation of a month or two in some area related to IM, so that you'd have something else to put on your application. Failing that, even putting together a poster of a clinical case/interesting patient and presenting it at some minor research conference would show interest and be better than no research.

Medikit

Plastic Bag Middle Class
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Houston in far away from California.

Your step 1 score is high for an internal medicine applicant. With honoring your sub-I and hopefully your IM 3rd year rotation I would think you'd have a decent shot at interviews at some of those programs...UCSF will be ultracompetitive, and I would predict you'll have a tough time getting in there without being from a famous med school, a California med school, and/or having a well defined research interest (i.e. PhD or pre-existing publications). However, you should just give a it a shot anyhow if you are interested in the place. There are other California residencies besides those you've listed, so if you are willing to broaden the search (UC Davis, UC Irvine, private and community hospitals, etc.) I'm sure you could get a spot somewhere decent in California. Just apply broadly and see what happens.

Other things that might help with getting a particular residency:
- get a LOR from a person who trained @one of the places you are interested in (if any of your faculty actually came from California). People always pay more attention to LOR's from someone they know. It's just life.
-An away rotation might help, though not that many people do them for internal medicine.
-You could try right now to set up a research rotation of a month or two in some area related to IM, so that you'd have something else to put on your application. Failing that, even putting together a poster of a clinical case/interesting patient and presenting it at some minor research conference would show interest and be better than no research.

Seattle and Denver really aren't that close either. Houston has a great airport with a lot of flights into California so I think if he ends up having to broaden his application then he should consider Baylor. My reason for suggesting spots outside of California is that the OP is considering both UCSD and UCSF which are 7:30 hours apart by car.

Last edited:

HomerSD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You should widen your net and consider other programs in California. For instance, UC Davis and Harbor UCLA have good internal medicine programs with reputations for strong clinical training. While they may not have as good a fellowship match list as say UCSF, their residents do pretty well.