California Interviews, post your stats.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Keith, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Keith

Keith Senior Member

I haven't seen a lot of posts for interviews at the UCs, Stanford or USC. Several discussions about secondaries though. If you already got an interview, would you mind posting your stats. Also, how long after your file was complete did you get the interview invite? Was it via e-mail, snail mail or telephone? I'm an August MCATer and have secondaries in at all but Loma Linda and UCSF. My files are just now being "completed" and I'm waiting on a response from UCSF.
    Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ccryder

ccryder Member

I applied to UCSF and USC. Was rejected from UCSF w/o secondary and interviewed at USC about a month ago. I found out about the interview invite first from their status check website about 4 weeks after my file was complete. They subsequently sent me an e-mail invite the next day. You get to schedule your own interview so I was able to interview 2 weeks after getting the invitation. Hope this helps.

4. nerfornothin

nerfornothin Member

Hey Keith,
    Got more info for...

UCSF: Secondaary requires no essay so don't stress. Took about four weeks between completion of file and interview invite.

5. Bruin4Life

Bruin4Life Senior Member

I haven't heard back from any California school regarding an interview, including no secondaries from UCI and UCLA. Unfortunately, UCLA is for the most part playing on thier reputation and have started interviewing exceptional out-of-state applicants before even notifying many CA residents of a secondary. Kinda sucks if you ask me.

6. Sir William Osler

Sir William Osler Senior Member

hey there:
    i'm an out-of-stater who has interviewed/s at UCSF and Stanford. But i really think that mcat/grades aren't the important things to consider. Just today, for curiousity i looked at my schools' medical school statistics. In 1995, we have this binder that breaks down rejections/acceptances by an mcat/gpa grid. it was very interesting. there were two students with like above 39 mcats and above 3.9 GPA. DO you know that they didn't get into any top 10's. And many others with stats like 33/3.7 got into harvard or ucsf or stanford. It's just about the whole picture. try not to quantitate the process. I know that it makes for an easy comparison just to look at your mcat and gpa compared to other applicants, but it's not a good exercise. My MCATs are in the range of the averages for many of the top schools and my grades are a little better. you have to look past those numbers though to learn about the person. The person is who gets into med school, and not that one mcat test day, and not that gpa. just my humble opinion.

cheers.

7. jiffy boy

jiffy boy Member

Read the post! He said "UCLA".

8. Keith

Keith Senior Member

To Tbone, I agree with the "whole person" approach, but there are some definite trends going on in CA. There was a post saying that admissions at UCI sends secondaries starting at 4.0 and working down. The purpose of the post is to try and ID any trends related to interview invites and to provide info to all those out there waiting on Cal schools.

My thanks to all those that have posted so far!!!!!

9. paisley1

paisley1 Senior Member

I interviewed at UCSF recently. I received an interview notification via e-mail about one month after submitting my application. My GPA is good, my MCAT score not great. With UCSF at least, I know the Personal Statement is VERY important as are your extracurricular activities. Everyone I met there seems to not only have had the good grades but some interesting activity or personal quality that really made them stand out. The California schools, in general, seem to go for good stats but plenty of students with great grades and good MCAT scores don't get in every year so there is definitely more to the picture, as TBone said.

Also, I would be hesitant to look for some kind of trend since a lot of what we hear is based on rumor. Even in those cases where someone got information from somebody in an Admissions Office, there can be misunderstandings. Don't get me wrong--I'm just as eager to figure out where I fit in this whole process but just be careful. Good luck! :)

10. coop

coop Senior Member

i have a UCLA interview for when I go home in january. The best place for stats is look at averages in the usnews ranks or MSAR, you aren't going to get a good sample on SDN alone. Figure for getting an interview it'll be people about in the range of a schools averages, and a school will generally accept students with a higher average than those that matriculate, but it should be very close.

Bruin4Life. I'm a bruin to the bone as well... anyways, if you check out their website you'll see UCLA does not give preference to CA residents. Most people (myself included) find this surprising, but here is a quote:

"Residence: No preference is given to state of residence. However many applicants come from California. Acceptees from California are more likely to matriculate at UCLA. Out of 145 freshman, 85 percent were from California. "

that is taken from this site, see for yourself:

<a href="http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/admiss/admreq.htm" target="_blank">http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/admiss/admreq.htm</a>

so I don't think they deserve criticisim for interviewing out of state people, they take the best applicants. I bet they are able to do this because, while they probably need to have some % of CA residents, they can get that number easily without giving any preference.

12. Rumit

Rumit Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm applying to MSTP programs and I interviewed at UCSF, and will interview at UCLA next month. I'm a CA resident. I heard about the interviews ~1 month after app was complete. I have good stats, above average GPA and MCAT for both schools. But, I also have some interesting experiences and a good personal statement (I think), and some really awsome letters. I'm still waiting on Stanford (all my letters haven't quite reached them yet). I also applied to UCI and Davis, but I'm not so excited about hearing from either one of those schools.

Good luck,

Adam

13. coop

coop Senior Member

watcha, i was just telling you what they say about themselves, and they say "no preference is given to state of residence." This does not have any clause in it about CA being an exception to that. They claim that they get such a high % of CA residents in their class simply as a result of who applies and who matriculates. It isn't unreasonable to assume that they get a higher percentage of quality applications from their in-staters. According to msar they interview 14% of in staters and 7% of out of staters, does this mean that there is a preference. No, it is not necessarily a reasonable assumption to think that the pools are equivalent in merit, and it is possible that the do as they claim, and not give state preference. I'm not saying that everything a school says about itself is true, but the facts you quoted to "prove" that UCLA was lying were not real proof, given that information, either explanation is still possible, try to have an open mind to the posibility that UCLA is not misrepresenting their actual admissions process.

14. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.

Pre-Veterinary
    Taken directly from the USNEWs website for UCLA:
    Applied Int Accept Mat
    In state: 3,434 487 172 109
    Out of state: 2,177 121 40 12

So as you can see, there is a huge favoritism for in state as far as granting interviews. Once you get to the interview, there is no real bais. That's just UCLA.

15. charleb32

charleb32 Member

I think it needs to be noted that all state and public schools give preference to in state residents because they get money from the state for those who matriculate. California schools are more notorious for this but it happens in every state. Trust me there is a preference for in state applicants, regaurdless of what you may read.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member

STATISTICS REQUIREMENT FOR UCLA

anyone know of someone who got into UCLA w/o taking Statistics? How strict is the admissions office w/ regard to this policy?

18. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member

I'm kinda bummed about the whole CA school thing. I went to college in Maine but I'm still a CA
    resident. I was also rejected (did complete
    a secondary) from SF last week. I really believe I have very good letters and I have excellent
    ECs. Furthermore, graduated with a 3.86/34T and
    was rejected without so much as an interview. SF was going to be one of my top choices--I am really pretty upset about this whole thing. Mind you i'm not saying that I should have gotten in necessarily, just that I believe I should have at least had an interview. . . :(

19. EpiII

EpiII Senior Member

It took a little more than a month to get and interview at UCSD and UCLA from the completion of my secondary at each school. I think it took about a month to get an interview at UCSF or maybe a little less than a month.

Both UCSD and UCSF notified by e-mail and you could schedule via e-mail and phone or both. UCLA requires you to use the pony express to schedule the interview. They send something, you fill it out and send it back and then they send you confirmation back. That takes about two weeks.

I am 29 and have had a wide variety of extracurricular activities, most of them related in some way to health as I am and epidemiologist. The person I am staying with for the UCSF interview told me last night on the phone that many of the students there are non-traditional and that I would not feel like I was different than the rest. This seems to point to the whole person theory as well as the personal statement theory. The fact that they do not have ANY essays on their secondary points to the fact that they two essays on the AMCAS application are incredibly important at UCSF.

20. none

none 1K Member

Or maybe just admissions based on numbers? SF has pretty darn high numbers! I'm not sure you could maintain averages like that if your main focus wasn't numbers.

21. BeckyG

BeckyG Senior Member

UCSF can't be all about numbers, otherwise I (and a couple of my classmates) probably would not be in the class this year. The numbers (and residency) are used as the initial screen for secondaries. After that, the personal statement, letters of rec, extracurriculars, etc. are used to decide who gets an interview invite. I know a few people (friends) with higher numbers that did not get into UCSF while I did. The UCSF website says (although not on the main admissions pages) that personal statements are read carefully in the process, so they do count. After interview, it reverts to a numbers game, as your GPA/MCAT/residency are weighted in approx. 1/3 of the score, your ECs/recs/etc are weighted as another 1/3 and your interview/maturity/personal characteristics/etc are weighted in the last 1/3. This gives an overall "number" that is used to recommend an applicant as accept, high priority or reject. However, the dean of admissions and/or the "executive committee" of the admissions committee can override any "numbers" and change the direction of a particular applicant's decision/status. Hope that helps. Good luck,

Becky

23. Jessica

Jessica Senior Member

Here is the breakdown of my CA apps: sent out UCSF secondary 10/30, interview invite 11/13 by e-mail. Still have not heard from UCSD (app complete since 10/4) or UCLA (app complete since 11/10)... haven't sent in UCI or Stanford yet, didn't apply to Davis or Loma Linda. Above avg GPA (from "below" avg school), competitive MCAT, lots of clinical ECs. Hope this helps! And don't be too concerned yet, it is still early in the game! Good luck!