1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

California January MCAT

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by fatkitty, Sep 5, 2014.

1. fatkitty

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello everybody,

This may sound like a dumb question, but I was trying to register for the January MCAT earlier, but California doesn't appear on the drop down menu of available seats. Is there some kind of error, seeing at it is 4 months ahead of the test date, or are there really absolutely no seats available in all of California?

Thanks for your guys' help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. wuhsabee

wuhsabee BEARS. BEETS. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    There are no more seats. Either wait until people drop their dates (risky) or pick a neighboring state...and then wait to see if one in Cali opens up.

4. fatkitty

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Dang it, looks like I may be taking a trip to Washington to take the MCAT....

My only other option is to take the revised MCAT2015 test. Anybody have any opinions? Spend a small fortune to fly out of state and have all the stresses of travel, or study for the new MCAT and take it from the comfort of home. I'll be applying in this upcoming cycle.

5. wuhsabee

wuhsabee BEARS. BEETS. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Definitely try out the old one first. Since the new test is not being administered until April, there are not as many materials that will help you with the new test than with the old. You have more resources within reach to study for the old one.

I would sign up for the Washington one, and then check the registration site from time to time to see if a testing center nearby you opens up, even if it's in a closer state. Don't book your airplane ticket to Washington yet! You can always change your testing site any time after registration, providing that there are seats available.

6. Ryomagoku

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Im in the sake situation as you. My friend and I decided to take our mcat exam at utah.

7. Ironale

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If someone needs to come up to washington for the Jan 8th date (or other for that matter), I live near campus and will be writing the test the same date. I would be willing to host 1 person to make the financial burden a bit less. Have to stick together right?

FriedelCrafts likes this.
  8. designeers

MDApps:
    MDApps:
    Pre-Pharmacy
    that right,You can always change your testing site any time after registration, providing that there are seats available.thanks[​IMG]

9. fatkitty

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks everybody for your input! It looks like I will register for one in Washington and keep my fingers crossed for one to open up a little closer.

Ironale, thanks for your kindness. I'll let you know closer to the date if I do end up needing a place to crash and study.

10. Thoracic Bean

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Did it cost any additional money to change the location of your exam? How do you go about doing this? I'm currently trying to find a January date in CA. Thought I'd just book a seat in Nevada but those are all taken as well.

11. Thoracic Bean

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks!

12. blackmarble

Pre-Medical
    You totally can see availability while you're already booked, you just pay the 65 fee (if you change early enough) right?