California Med Schools - 2005 Applicant Zone part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i got the thin envelope from Stanford also but also got a thumbs up from UC Irvine.

hm...

Members don't see this ad.

I havent even heard from UCSF about a secondary... I dont know if I have much of a chance though, bc I'm out of state

PM1981 said:
I havent even heard from UCSF about a secondary... I dont know if I have much of a chance though, bc I'm out of state

Never rule yourself out--about 20 to 25% of UCSF's class (I think) are out-of-staters.

:luck: :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
jellybean3 said:
i got the thin envelope from Stanford also but also got a thumbs up from UC Irvine.

hm...

Congrats on UC Irvine! :) :thumbup: :D

bridge01 said:
lauramac, hm, no replies. well, for me, i would take any cali school. but i'll throw in my opinion to your question. i havent been to sc but my overall feeling is that you'll get a pretty good clinical exp. at either usc or ucla. the city of LA provides for a diverse patient base. to me the biggest differential is that sc gets more county patients.

i dont think you could go wrong w/either la schools, although if i got into both, i would personally lean towards ucla over sc b/c of tuition, reputation, location, etc. i am pretty sure sc has a second look weekend. anyone care to confirm?

At SC you will get to) see and do more than UCLA, but you are better off going to UCLA as a whole because you are more likely to get the residency spot you want coming from there. (Plus they actually have counceling so you can figure out what residency you want. SC you are really on your own in every way.

PM1981 said:
I'm out of state and got a secondary from UCSF. But I got it back in August, so I don't know now. But if it makes you feel any better I haven't gotten an interview and I've been complete since Sept. 13. Let's just say I'm not holding my breath. :)

patiently waiting for my stanford rejection...

jellybean3 said:

Sorry to hear about Stanford, but congrats on UCI! I'm interviewing there in 2 weeks.

I'm back at home (to the wonderful 60-70 degree weather!) and away from any potential thin envelopes for 3 weeks.....

Mongo said:
At SC you will get to) see and do more than UCLA, but you are better off going to UCLA as a whole because you are more likely to get the residency spot you want coming from there. (Plus they actually have counceling so you can figure out what residency you want. SC you are really on your own in every way.

Can anyone verify this? From what I have heard, it would be quite the opposite. (At least the counseling part.) I have heard time and again how USC really looks after their people. Anyone?

UCLA has more to offer in practically everything, other than diverse patient contact.

curiouslygeorge said:
Can anyone verify this? From what I have heard, it would be quite the opposite. (At least the counseling part.) I have heard time and again how USC really looks after their people. Anyone?

I go to USC right now. They care for you somewhat the first two years (set up meetings with mentors, and stuff like that) but nothing really usefull. No lectures on what is on the boards or how to review for them. nothing to help you out with what kind of doctor you want to be. No idea about how to get letters of rec. You are really on your own, a lot more than my friends at other schools (who have sit down meetings at the start of third year, a personal advisor the first two years, etc, etc)

derf said:
UCLA has more to offer in practically everything, other than diverse patient contact.

I concur, except you will see more trauma (gunshots, falls, etc) at USC due to USC's location.

Mongo said:
I go to USC right now. They care for you somewhat the first two years (set up meetings with mentors, and stuff like that) but nothing really usefull. No lectures on what is on the boards or how to review for them. nothing to help you out with what kind of doctor you want to be. No idea about how to get letters of rec. You are really on your own, a lot more than my friends at other schools (who have sit down meetings at the start of third year, a personal advisor the first two years, etc, etc)

I didn't know USC was like this. I though they took care of students (they tell us they do).

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to any third or fourth year about how much they enjoy it. And heck, last year the class was so mad about how we were treated during a section that a petition was signed by 70-100 students saying this isn't right about what they were doing. They didn't change a thing and the current second years are going to have to go through the same stuff that has happened for the last 3+ years.

Is USC really all that bad? I have read mostly negative posts...does anyone have anything positive to say?

for those that interviewed at ucla, were you told that jan 15 would be the earliest we would get a decision by? i thought thats waht they said, but just looked at the calendar and its a saturday. what the hell? seeing as they couldnt organize a student tourguide for my interview i cant imagine they are going to be working on saturday to get a decision out. am i fretting about jan 15 for nothing?! someone please tell me it is actually tomorrow or something.

opinionkitten said:
for those that interviewed at ucla, were you told that jan 15 would be the earliest we would get a decision by? i thought thats waht they said, but just looked at the calendar and its a saturday. what the hell? seeing as they couldnt organize a student tourguide for my interview i cant imagine they are going to be working on saturday to get a decision out. am i fretting about jan 15 for nothing?! someone please tell me it is actually tomorrow or something.

Calm down, my friend! The earliest that people heard last year (at least on SDN) was Feb. 12, so that date's not a hard and fast rule. It's just the earliest that they can possibly accept anybody.

Just wanted to let everyone in the "have been complete for months and months at UCLA and haven't heard anything" boat that we should be hearing something this month. The woman on the phone was quite unpleasant so I thought I'd save you the phone call.

I know that admissions people probably get way too many annoying requests from applicants, but I think the way they present themselves to us makes a huge deal in our perception of the school. When I have a particularly pleasant interaction with a secretary/coordinator I get warm fuzzies for the school, when they're sort of b!tchy it makes me not like the school as much. Objective measure of the school? No. Human nature? Yes. I think it should be part of their job description to be pleasant.

CaMD said:
I think it should be part of their job description to be pleasant.

if i were an admissions officer taking a phone call from me, id want to punch me in the face. im sure they get a billion lame ass calls a day about "when am i going to hear.." so anyhting beyond a prompt hangup or string of expletives is seen by me as pleasantness.

opinionkitten said:
if i were an admissions officer taking a phone call from me, id want to punch me in the face. im sure they get a billion lame ass calls a day about "when am i going to hear.." so anyhting beyond a prompt hangup or string of expletives is seen by me as pleasantness.

Well, you have a good attitude. :)

Anyone got news on UCSF? I've been complete there since mid-Sept, and haven't heard a peep. Not even a "pre-interview hold" which it sounds like some people got. I don't know if this is good or bad.

Khenon said:
Anyone got news on UCSF? I've been complete there since mid-Sept, and haven't heard a peep. Not even a "pre-interview hold" which it sounds like some people got. I don't know if this is good or bad.

Slow day at work so I think I'll just keep posting. :)

I don't think it's here nor there that you haven't heard. Worst case scenario: your file fell behind someone's desk and they won't find it til they spring clean.
Best case scenario, you unluckily got handed to a busy/procrastinating committee member and they're behind schedule but will turn your file in any day now.

Or at least this is what I've decided explains my mysterious silences from several fine institutions.

CaMD said:
Just wanted to let everyone in the "have been complete for months and months at UCLA and haven't heard anything" boat that we should be hearing something this month. The woman on the phone was quite unpleasant so I thought I'd save you the phone call.

I know that admissions people probably get way too many annoying requests from applicants, but I think the way they present themselves to us makes a huge deal in our perception of the school. When I have a particularly pleasant interaction with a secretary/coordinator I get warm fuzzies for the school, when they're sort of b!tchy it makes me not like the school as much. Objective measure of the school? No. Human nature? Yes. I think it should be part of their job description to be pleasant.

Crap... I hope that lady doesn't read my email asking if it would be possible for me to interview at UCLA while I am in LA for USC. :confused:

CaMD said:

That's interesting. Every time that I've called, the UCLA office people have been very friendly! Maybe you just caught them on a bad day.

CaMD said:

Thanks for the heads up. I am in this group. Haven't heard a peep since my file was complete. Seems like UCLA hasn't had any interview invites in a long time. Hopefully, after their first batch of accpetances, more invites will be coming out.

Uegis said:
Thanks for the heads up. I am in this group. Haven't heard a peep since my file was complete. Seems like UCLA hasn't had any interview invites in a long time. Hopefully, after their first batch of accpetances, more invites will be coming out.
I'm in the same group as well ... the woman on the phone told me that we should hear sometime early Jan .... is it early Jan already???

UCLAstudent said:
That's interesting. Every time that I've called, the UCLA office people have been very friendly! Maybe you just caught them on a bad day.

that bad day musta been today; i didnt even call for an annoying question; i sent some papers i published in and wanted to see if they recieved them and she goes 'im sure they did.' Im thinking wtf if they didnt; it's a big part of my application and if they didnt get it well that bites...anyway...

Haybrant said:
that bad day musta been today; i didnt even call for an annoying question; i sent some papers i published in and wanted to see if they recieved them and she goes 'im sure they did.' Im thinking wtf if they didnt; it's a big part of my application and if they didnt get it well that bites...anyway...

Hahaha. Two bad days in a row. Let's just call it a bad week for the UCLA admissions office. ;)

Anyway, I hope they received your papers!!!

faradayampere said:
I'm in the same group as well ... the woman on the phone told me that we should hear sometime early Jan .... is it early Jan already???

1/3 of January is already over. This is like mid January already. So, has anyone heard from UCLA?

Sigh, slow/no news on the CA front. BUMP.

Anyone hear from Davis lately? I've heard they're going really really slow...

On a side note, has anyone in SoCal seen the Body Worlds exhibit near USC? If so, what did you guys think? I finally got to see it and thought it was interesting, but some of the poses were a little excessive. Some MS1's i talked to at UCI (going through anatomy now) had gone recently for more anatomy visuals.

Does anybody know what sort of a timeline USC has as far as ad comm meetings? I interviewed in October and haven't heard anything. When I called admissions the woman told me they review applications until April so I could hear anytime between now and then. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

DrET said:
Does anybody know what sort of a timeline USC has as far as ad comm meetings? I interviewed in October and haven't heard anything. When I called admissions the woman told me they review applications until April so I could hear anytime between now and then. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

****. I was getting concerned about this and ready to write the same post - but I interviewed on December 1st. Might as well not get my hopes up for a while. :(

Hi,
it seems like you've already interviewed at USC, so i have a question if u don't mind answering whenever you can.I have an interview at Caltech as well, since i am applying for MD/PhD, but that same day i have a dinner with facultymembers from both Keck and Caltech.SO, i was wandering if you could give me an advice of whether i need to dress like for an interview (a suit) or casual.Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks, nadia :)

Hey guys,
has anyone applied for MD/PhD and maybe has nad an interview? OR, has anyone had a dinner with faculty members from USC and Caltech? I just need an advice of what i should wear for the dinner and what do USC PhD faculty usually ask on their interview.
THanks and i'll appreciate any reply
NAdia

nairay said:
Sigh, slow/no news on the CA front. BUMP.

Anyone hear from Davis lately? I've heard they're going really really slow...

On a side note, has anyone in SoCal seen the Body Worlds exhibit near USC? If so, what did you guys think? I finally got to see it and thought it was interesting, but some of the poses were a little excessive. Some MS1's i talked to at UCI (going through anatomy now) had gone recently for more anatomy visuals.

It took about seven weeks for me to hear from Davis after my interview (just a little longer than the 4-6 weeks they predicted) so they must be a bit behind. On your side note, I was thinking of going to see Body Worlds. Is it worth a 1.5 hour drive in the rain?

Kwerg said:
It took about seven weeks for me to hear from Davis after my interview (just a little longer than the 4-6 weeks they predicted) so they must be a bit behind. On your side note, I was thinking of going to see Body Worlds. Is it worth a 1.5 hour drive in the rain?

hey Kwerg, when did you hear from davis and when did you interview? i went in early dec so i'm wondering if i might hear from them within the next few weeks or so :oops: thanks

hi dc123,

it took almost 3 months for them to get back to me...a lot longer than the 4-6 weeks, so they are kind of slow...but it was definitely worth the wait. :)

interview: late sept, heard back mid december. hope that helps!

kiwie07 said:
hi dc123,

it took almost 3 months for them to get back to me...a lot longer than the 4-6 weeks, so they are kind of slow...but it was definitely worth the wait. :)

thanks kiwie07, that helps. and btw, congrats on your multiple acceptances!!! (i saw on the acceptance thread) :) which school are you leaning towards?

kiwie07 said:
hi dc123,

3 months!!! i would have died. i found out unofficially after 6 wks and officially after 8 wks i think.

wxl31 said:
3 months!!! i would have died. i found out unofficially after 6 wks and officially after 8 wks i think.

hey wxl31, congrats! did u also hear in mid december? what do u mean by unofficial?

dc123 said:
hey wxl31, congrats! did u also hear in mid december? what do u mean by unofficial?

hey dc, thanks! i heard 11/30 via email from my interviewer. i got the paper notification from the school a couple of wks later. i interviewed 10/14.

good luck! i hope you get in! isn't the school great?!

Kwerg said:

Thanks for the info.

I think it's worth seeing, but wait until after Wednesday when it clears up. If you're seeing it on a weekend, try to call early to reserve tickets or you might be waiting a long time (they have timed entry tickets)

These clowns at UC Davis *just* sent me my secondary today, 1/11 (Janu-frickin-ary Eleventh). Do they have any idea how hard it is to get back into the secondary writing/editing game after months of not looking at those things? Oh yeah, and it doesn't help that they perhaps have the most exhaustive secondary of all. By the way, I sent in my AMCAS in early July - way to be quick with those things.

Still doesn't top Drew/UCLA though. I have no clue what's going on over there.

congrats to all the uc davis ppl! I found out the good news yesterday as well. It took them about 10 weeks to get back to me, so yeah, I guess they are running a little behind.

I had a question though for the other Davis ppl. The post office wasn't delivering my mail to me for 3 weeks, and the Davis letter never got to me. Does it say anything about prereqs? I realized, I only have AP credits for some of the prereqs and am signing up for classes this spring again, but need to know how many to sign up for.

If anyone can let me know what the letter says before it gets resent to me, I'd really appreciate it. Feel free to PM me too so we don't clutter this thread.

Thanks!

Jeffy said:
These clowns at UC Davis *just* sent me my secondary today, 1/11 (Janu-frickin-ary Eleventh). Do they have any idea how hard it is to get back into the secondary writing/editing game after months of not looking at those things? Oh yeah, and it doesn't help that they perhaps have the most exhaustive secondary of all. By the way, I sent in my AMCAS in early July - way to be quick with those things.

Still doesn't top Drew/UCLA though. I have no clue what's going on over there.

Oh my gosh, Jeffy, that is so bizarre! I'd almost say it isn't worth completing. By far, that secondary took the longest of them all, and they rejected me like two weeks after I submitted it. :rolleyes: But, it is a good CA school. Good luck! :thumbup:

uclastudent, they probably knew you'd be getting into ucla and ucsf so i bet that's why they didn't bother. i know you haven't gotten in yet, but your chances are looking really good.

constructor said:
uclastudent, they probably knew you'd be getting into ucla and ucsf so i bet that's why they didn't bother. i know you haven't gotten in yet, but your chances are looking really good.

Aw, you're so nice, constructor! :oops: Thanks for rooting for me. :thumbup:

dc123 said:
hey Kwerg, when did you hear from davis and when did you interview? i went in early dec so i'm wondering if i might hear from them within the next few weeks or so :oops: thanks

interview (10/25), found out (12/17) by email from interviewers. After reading other posts, it seems that you could hear back anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.