California Med Schools - 2005 Applicant Zone part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
UCLAstudent said:
Are you sure you got in? :smuggrin: ;)

More to keep in mind: by the time you submit the Davis app (say in a week) it will be late January. And it will take time for them to review your app, receive your letters, etc. (say a month-ish). I don't know how many schools still invite in March! Just something to think about. But I agree with you, you'd probably be a fool not to submit it, especially since you do nothing all day. :laugh: And you certainly can't beat the price of a UC (at least for now). They obviously have some interest in you if they bothered to send you a secondary this late.

Remember, Davis is SLOW. I know they say things are going to be better this year, but there are people in my class that interviewed in April last year. I would not be surprised if they do not meet the goal of finishing earlier with interviews this year. And "earlier" could be late Feb. or March. Who knows. If you have any interest in coming here, I'd say fill it out and see what happens.

Members don't see this ad.

Whoa, page 5! BUMP!

yay, my 100th post!

anything new on the california front? or is everyone too busy enjoying the sunshine and 80 degree temps?!

nairay said:
anything new on the california front? or is everyone too busy enjoying the sunshine and 80 degree temps?!

i was just thinking that no one has posted here in a while and i do believe you have explained it. 80 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, man all those people living in illinois and new york and stuff are suckers!

congrats to mr. passthesashimi for his first acceptance, not a cali school but he is a cali student, so i think it counts.

as for the weather at least i will be warm and tan whilst gnawing off my fingernails waiting for word from ucla this week....

Members don't see this ad :)
Haybrant said:
any word on ucsd guys? a while back (end of dec.) they contacted me and said i was missing a page from my secondary (this happen to anyone else?) so i resent it; i hope they didnt put me to the back of the pile.

nope nothing yet I got complete recently as well (12/2). hope we still got a shot!

Hi There!

So I got an acceptance from UC Davis (whew! in-state tuition! :) ) and they require me to send in a form - an Intent to Register - within the next two weeks. I am still waiting on UCLA and UC San Diego (my top choices). If I send in the form, will it affect the decisions at UCLA or UCSD? I don't want to give up the chance to go to UC Davis, but don't want to blow the chances at the other schools either. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

lulubean said:
Hi There!

So I got an acceptance from UC Davis (whew! in-state tuition! :) ) and they require me to send in a form - an Intent to Register - within the next two weeks. I am still waiting on UCLA and UC San Diego (my top choices). If I send in the form, will it affect the decisions at UCLA or UCSD? I don't want to give up the chance to go to UC Davis, but don't want to blow the chances at the other schools either. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

congrats on the acceptance!... but i'm not sure what you're asking? you can accept as many schools as you want (intent to register...) before may 15.

derf said:
congrats on the acceptance!... but i'm not sure what you're asking? you can accept as many schools as you want (intent to register...) before may 15.

thanks! i am just worried b/c i have just read on recent threads that schools within the uc system know who's been accepted where. jut wanted to make sure an intent to register at one place wouldn't affect another school's decision. does that make sense? am i being too worried about this?

thanks again :oops:

Congrats, lulubean! No, it shouldn't affect any decision made on you by the other UCs.

So, does anyone know about how USC's system works? I submitted my secondary in October and haven't heard anything yet. Are they waiting until like May to send a rejection or do they move even slower than the UC's?

UCLAstudent said:
Congrats, lulubean! No, it shouldn't affect any decision made on you by the other UCs.

thanks uclastudent, i just wanted to be sure :)

my beautiful UCLA interview invite!!!! I just checked my status page. I'm so happy guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

I hope everyone waiting on UCLA hears soon. good luck!!!

derf said:
my beautiful UCLA interview invite!!!! I just checked my status page. I'm so happy guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

I hope everyone waiting on UCLA hears soon. good luck!!!

Yay, derf!!! You waited for that long enough. I'm so happy for you. Good luck on your interview.

thanks Dr. Chiquita

This one felt much better than all my other invites! Man, I want this school sooo bad.

I know you interviewed there already, and wish you the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
derf said:
thanks Dr. Chiquita

This one felt much better than all my other invites! Man, I want this school sooo bad.

I know you interviewed there already, and wish you the best.

Good luck man, that's awesome!!

DERF! Oh my gosh! Congratulations!!! :D

Congratulations derf !! That's great news :)

thanks guys.... definitely a joyous occasion for me. :)

I wish all the best to you folks waiting post-interview or pre-interview.

Just an update, I was accepted to USC today. :D Not sure if I will be accepting the offer, though.

way to go UCLAStudent !!! That's great news congratulations !! :)

UCLAstudent said:
Just an update, I was accepted to USC today. :D

:clap: Congratulations! :clap:

UCLApoopiehead said:
Not sure if I will be accepting the offer, though.

:thumbdown: :mad:

Hey all,

I'm not sure if this has already been answered, so I apologize ahead of time if this is a repetitive question.

I already have to fly out twice to CA in the next month to interview, and I am still waiting for another UC to review me and decide whether or not I suck, or grant me the glorious opportunity of interviewing with them.

My question is how do you ask the school that if they were so inclined to interview you, to please try to schedule it when one would actually be in the state so that one wouldn't have to spend another $300 flying out west.

Don't get me wrong, I love CA, hence the reason I'm so hell bent on coming back. But all this leave of absence and flying is killing my wallet and my performance in school/lab.

Thanks.

:)

supersnuffles said:
My question is how do you ask the school that if they were so inclined to interview you, to please try to schedule it when one would actually be in the state so that one wouldn't have to spend another $300 flying out west.

Best approach is to mention that you have an interview in the area on X date and if they could in any way accomodate that you would be greatly appreciative. Most schools will at least give the impression that they'll try. It worked for my Boston interviews.

UCLAstudent said:
I know, I am bad. But it's nonrefundable. :laugh:

Let's also not forget that I did call you a poopiehead above. And when the hell did you get into UCLA? I totally missed that one. Congrats on that. But I still hate you.

Jeffy said:
Let's also not forget that I did call you a poopiehead above. And when the hell did you get into UCLA? I totally missed that one. Congrats on that. But I still hate you.

I guess "poopiehead" can be viewed as a term of endearment. :laugh:

Thanks. I got into UCLA two Saturdays ago! But don't hate me. You got into a good school, too. One with a reeeeally good football team. :D

UCLAstudent said:
I guess "poopiehead" can be viewed as a term of endearment. :laugh:

Thanks. I got into UCLA two Saturdays ago! But don't hate me. You got into a good school, too. One with a reeeeally good football team. :D

So you're gonna blow another 4 years of your life living in safe, upscale Westwood, CA, eating Diddy Reise cookies all day. And on top of that save movie to go to a more "prestigious" med school with easier access to Sunset and the Pacific?? Man, I just don't get it at all.

Well, I guess you'll get more bang for your buck with your SDN sn if you stay at UC Millions of Black Escalades. :thumbup:

ANybody still holding onto hope for an interview in Cali? At this point, are things pretty bleak or what?

qwerty one said:
ANybody still holding onto hope for an interview in Cali? At this point, are things pretty bleak or what?

I'd love to hear from USC. Everytime I call they just bellow out, "We interview until April" and slam down the reciever. Okay, maybe they're not that mean but I still get irritated :D

kiwie07 said:
haha thanks dc123.
it's a tough choice between davis and uchicago...so i actually don't know. i really loved both schools and the students there so...yea. =P hopefully i'll be able to go to second look weekends etc.

Hey Kiwie,
I'm in the same (excellent) boat as you...trying to decide between UCD and UChicago. Of the schools I interviewed at, they were my two favorite, and I was so happy to be admitted to both (also have two other admits), and I'm going to use the re-visit days to spend more time at each...

qwerty one said:

UCI is re-reviewing all holds at the end of February/beginning of March. There is still hope, albiet, a faint glimmer. The lady was so mean though, I've never been so brutally rebuffed. :mad:

supersnuffles said:
UCI is re-reviewing all holds at the end of February/beginning of March. There is still hope, albiet, a faint glimmer. The lady was so mean though, I've never been so brutally rebuffed. :mad:

I am on hold as well (I applied quite late), and I sent an e-mail two days ago and there was a Christine Kibler who replied and was extremely nice. She encouraged me to update my file with new information, so I'd say that goes for you as well if you're still interested.

Good luck!

Stanford_Playah said:
I am on hold as well (I applied quite late), and I sent an e-mail two days ago and there was a Christine Kibler who replied and was extremely nice. She encouraged me to update my file with new information, so I'd say that goes for you as well if you're still interested.

Good luck!

Thanks stan and snuffles ... I am really crossing my finger with UCI. I really hope to hear good news from them. I have been on hold for almost 6 months now.

Good luck for everyone on hold at UCI, I hope you guys hear good news! :D

Does anyone know how the alternate list works (post-interview) at UCI? I'm wondering if they re-evaluate this pool before May 15th or if we're just supposed to sit tight until then...

So I think I decided to not even bother sending in my Davis secondary. They sent it to me a month ago and it's due tomorrow. It's so late in the game that I feel like I'd be pursuing a waitlist spot, which isn't even worth it to me. Besides, if none of the other UC's have bothered to interview me yet, I figure Davis won't be any different.

Jeffy said:
So I think I decided to not even bother sending in my Davis secondary. They sent it to me a month ago and it's due tomorrow. It's so late in the game that I feel like I'd be pursuing a waitlist spot, which isn't even worth it to me. Besides, if none of the other UC's have bothered to interview me yet, I figure Davis won't be any different.

Hi Jeffy, if you dont want to go to Davis, then you shouldnt do the secondary. However, if you arent going to do it because you think they wont interview you, that is a mistake. first of all, what the other uc's have done does not mean davis will be the same. for instance, i received interviews at all the uc's except davis. so maybe you will have a better shot with them, you never know. also, i dont think davis has given out too many acceptances, so if you got an interview for march or april, you could still definitely get an acceptance, not a waitlist spot. the secondary is a beast, but if you ended up attending davis next year, you will sure be happy that you slayed that secondary. just my $.02.

Does anyone know what it means if for the past month or so my UCI status page says "review in process"???

DrBooBoo said:
Does anyone know what it means if for the past month or so my UCI status page says "review in process"???

pending review ~ a few months

review in process - less than a week.

You should be hearing very soon from UCI regarding an interview.

good luck.

UCLAstudent said:
I know, I am bad. But it's nonrefundable. :laugh:

uclastudent, where did you read it is nonrefundable? I'm kinda confused on that. It says it is applied to tuition in the letter, and on MSAR is says it is refundable by May 15 like most other schools. :confused:

hmmm...

MilanoRed: I actually just realized that it IS refundable (on USC's website). I don't have a copy of the MSAR, so I assumed that it was nonrefundable because the letter didn't mention anything about it. (Silly assumtion, haha.) Sorry about that! :D

UCLAstudent said:
MilanoRed: I actually just realized that it IS refundable (on USC's website). I don't have a copy of the MSAR, so I assumed that it was nonrefundable because the letter didn't mention anything about it. (Silly assumtion, haha.) Sorry about that! :D

Thanks UCLAstudent :) Congrats on your acceptances, do you know if UCLA has a "revisit" weekend? I heard of one last year, but it might have been through Drew, so I'm not sure

MilanoRed said:
Thanks UCLAstudent :) Congrats on your acceptances, do you know if UCLA has a "revisit" weekend? I heard of one last year, but it might have been through Drew, so I'm not sure

Thanks, MilanoRed. :D I am not sure if UCLA has a revisit weekend. I hope so! I don't feel like they showed off the medical school very well during the interview. I will post if I hear anything.

derf said:

good luck.

I was "pending review" from August to September, "on hold" from September to January, and "review in process" from January to February (about a month now).

I got pretty early interviews to UCLA and UCSD, but then nothing from all other California schools...what's up with that? Of course I won't mind anymore if I hear anything from the first two (and I was ecstatic about receiving them in the first place), but if I don't get any good results from them, I don't really have many choices...

EDIT: UCLAstudent, congrats again on your acceptance - I remember before you got the acceptance, you said something about being worried about how you did at the interview. I'm similarly worried about my own interview, could you elaborate on what you meant by that? I guess, is the interview not that big a part of the process, because that'd be kinda cool...given that there are a couple of things I wish I could take back.

Iggyboop, you are correct, my interview did not go too smoothly. But, I believe that UCLA looks very heavily at other factors. Don't second-guess yourself. :thumbup:

iggyboop said:
I was "pending review" from August to September, "on hold" from September to January, and "review in process" from January to February (about a month now).

I got pretty early interviews to UCLA and UCSD, but then nothing from all other California schools...what's up with that? Of course I won't mind anymore if I hear anything from the first two (and I was ecstatic about receiving them in the first place), but if I don't get any good results from them, I don't really have many choices...

EDIT: UCLAstudent, congrats again on your acceptance - I remember before you got the acceptance, you said something about being worried about how you did at the interview. I'm similarly worried about my own interview, could you elaborate on what you meant by that? I guess, is the interview not that big a part of the process, because that'd be kinda cool...given that there are a couple of things I wish I could take back.

I would definitely give them a call. The status changes when they actually start reviewing your file.

And I doubt it takes as long as you mentioned without hearing something. good luck.

derf said:

good luck.

how long post-interview?

derf said:
I would definitely give them a call. The status changes when they actually start reviewing your file.

And I doubt it takes as long as you mentioned without hearing something. good luck.

Man oh man! Freaking 1 AM in the morning here and I get an e-mail from them saying I got an interview, of course only a few hours after having posted a mini-rant about not hearing anything! Maybe they read these boards or something. I don't even know what to think, this is the first good news I've heard from anybody in a long time! :D

Thanks everybody! Good luck to y'all too! :luck:

iggyboop said:
Man oh man! Freaking 1 AM in the morning here and I get an e-mail from them saying I got an interview, of course only a few hours after having posted a mini-rant about not hearing anything! Maybe they read these boards or something. I don't even know what to think, this is the first good news I've heard from anybody in a long time! :D

Congrats!!! Maybe I need to start ranting too and the interview invites will start pourring in :)

iggyboop said:

so you were first 'on hold' status and then got an interview? that's a first. i thought being put 'on hold' was a death sentence. maybe its going to be different this year

Status
Not open for further replies.