California medical license problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Utk1800

Reaction score
Hey guys I've applied for my California medical license and submitted all documents. I have completed my medical school in India. California medical board requires minimum of 4 weeks of psychiatry during medical school. My application has a total of 6 weeks of Psych, but 4 weeks out of that is during my 2nd year. Medical board is saying that they only consider rotations starting 3rd year which doesnot make much sense to me. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Medical Board of California is a notoriously militant, anti-physician, totalitarian group

Reactions: 1 user
Have you asked them what you can do now to address this? Would they count you doing 2 more weeks of psych (I can think of ways to do this, but you'll have to figure that out and see what the board might count)

Some medical boards are more helpful about directing physicians to meet requirements for licensure that they don't have, and others not so much.

Hey guys I've applied for my California medical license and submitted all documents. I have completed my medical school in India. California medical board requires minimum of 4 weeks of psychiatry during medical school. My application has a total of 6 weeks of Psych, but 4 weeks out of that is during my 2nd year. Medical board is saying that they only consider rotations starting 3rd year which doesnot make much sense to me. What should I do?
This doesn't make sense. If your six weeks of Psych were done as a clinical rotation (in whatever year of medical school), then it should count. Plenty of medical schools now start their clinical rotations earlier (ie second year). Now if you were just shadowing as a medical student, that might not cut it.

Reactions: 1 user