California Medicine Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drrouz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My goal is to be a gasteroenterologist and I will be applying to university based programs in california (for family reasons). I scored average on Step 1 and I have Honors/High Pass on my MS3 clerkships (medicine score is still pending but barring any SHELF exam disasters should be Honors). Does anyone have specific information on how competetive my application will be?

I know that these emails get boring and that a lot more goes into successful applications then STEP 1 scores, but I have the sense that a lot of people have the same question.

Members don't see this ad.

please refer to the sticky at the top of the page.

more info is needed. what med school do you go to? class rank? AOA? significant research? that pending medicine grade is also pretty huge..., also are you more interested in nocal or socal? are you willing to consider university affiliated county program?

drrouz said:
My goal is to be a gasteroenterologist and I will be applying to university based programs in california (for family reasons). I scored 218 on Step 1 and I have Honors/High Pass on my MS3 clerkships (medicine score is still pending but barring any SHELF exam disasters should be Honors). Does anyone have specific information on how competetive my application will be?

I know that these emails get boring and that a lot more goes into successful applications then STEP 1 scores, but I have the sense that a lot of people have the same question.

UCSF
Stanford
-----------
UCLA
-----------
UCSD
UCD
-----------
UCI
USC
Loma Linda

I broke down the "university programs" in cali into four tiers based on ease of securing an interview.

unless you have something significant to add to an average step 1 score and H/HP grades in 3rd year clerkships, i would guess that it will be unlikely that you'll be interviewing at the top two tiers.

?don't know if this answers your original question.

Members don't see this ad :)
nice breakdown. how can you say that an interview is unlikely at sf/stanfurd? we know nothing about med school, aoa, research, and the quality of letters (very important). too premature to tell, drrouz. recommend avoiding reading these posts for now. an H in med and an H in subI would be a great start. concentrate on the extracurricular stuff. everyone will have the numbers so you'll need to stand out in other ways. good luck and end of discussion for me.

i agree with bof's breakdown on the california university programs.
with a 218 on step 1, i think you'd have a tough time getting interviews at the top 3 programs. interviews at programs 4-5 are questionable as well.
uc irvine, uc davis, and usc are good university based academic programs that should help you obtain an academic gi fellowship. davis, especially, is a strong program that is hurt by its location in sacramento. also, take a look at ucla-harbor, cedars-sinai, and ucla-va, for university affiliated medicine programs that have good fellowship placement.

now if you have additional cv highlights, such as aoa, md/phd, research with pubs, harvard med, or just great recs from people with connections, you may be able to interview at any of the top programs.

good luck.