Program-Specific Info / Q's California OT Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcourtney07

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I am going to be applying to schools for the Fall of 2015. I am looking at OT graduate programs in California. At this point, my top three schools are SJSU, USC, and Dominican University. I was wondering if any students could provide some information about their experience.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

San Jose State has an amazing program. In-state tuition is VERY reasonable, it's one of the oldest and most well established programs in California, faculty is excellent and distinguished and class sizes are small (we have ~76 students but are assigned a "track," so we take the same classes with about ~38 people.) Since coming to SJSU, I have met nothing but wonderful people. The program also does a great job of combining academics with clinical experience. Last semester I did a practicum internship in school-based pediatrics and next semester I start a clinic in physical disabilities. The campus is lovely, there's an awesozme 8-floor library where I meet classmates for projects and during lunch breaks, you can take fitness classes at the Spartan Recreation Center for $16/semester.

In terms of complaints, there has been concern about professors not spacing out the work. You take 5-6 classes per semester and is not uncommon to be assigned 5-6 major projects and presentations at once. If you don't like group work, SJSU might be a tough place to survive. Prepare to co-write essays, perform mock interviews, explain Alzheimer's, perform manual muscle tests, devise a community action plan at a site that only offers physical therapy, elaborate on the founders of OT, attend the OTAC conference, guide people through ethical dilemmas and much more in groups. Also, at SJSU, you must be prepared to reflect on your experiences. Professors are big on reflection papers and sharing thoughts, which can seem childish at times.

Other possible complaints: bugginess of Canvas, our web-based system for organizing class materials, California budget cuts effecting a program that does not have a ton of money to begin with and the relevance of certain topics discussed in class (i.e., do we REALLY need to know about the history of OT, etc.)

Overall, I have zero regrets about coming to this program and would still highly recommend it. :)

That sounds very much like CSUDH, really quite remarkable (except the library is only 4 stories) just how similar the two programs are.

Thank you so much for the insight. I really appreciate it! It is great to hear you are both happy with the decision you made.