Mar 18, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hi!
I just got into a few pharmacy schools and I'm trying to figure out which one would be best. So heres my question:
Can the 1500 intern hours be satisfied by your advanced rotations, or do they have to be done outside of school?
Thank you for your time!

renetto

Removed
Dec 30, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
Go the California state board website and look it up. I was recently looking up the Texas SBOP site and the 1500 hours must come from the advanced rotations and not from time outside of school. Some states have the same requirement but with an extra 1000 or 750 that must come from outside of rotations.

ngmc11

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2006
Status
Pharmacist
CA want 900 hour on your own & 600 hours from school.
You have to check how many hours the state will transfer.
Go the California state board website and look it up. I was recently looking up the Texas SBOP site and the 1500 hours must come from the advanced rotations and not from time outside of school. Some states have the same requirement but with an extra 1000 or 750 that must come from outside of rotations.

confettiflyer

Did you just say something?
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status
Pharmacist
CA want 900 hour on your own & 600 hours from school.
You have to check how many hours the state will transfer.
ya know i looked recently and i swear they don't require this anymore...i'd look it up bu ti'm in class

Mar 18, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
I asked because I looked it up and it just says 1500 hours period, but I asked because I have heard some people say that it is 1500 hours outside of school. I tried calling but they're closed on Friday.
Thank you for your input.

renetto

Removed
Dec 30, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
I asked because I looked it up and it just says 1500 hours period, but I asked because I have heard some people say that it is 1500 hours outside of school. I tried calling but they're closed on Friday.
Thank you for your input.
I did some research for you and I'm a bit confused. The state board website just says 1,500 intern hours with no specifics but I got this from the UCSF School of Pharmacy Website

The California Board of Pharmacy requires completion of 1,500 hours for licensure; 900 of which must be completed in licensed pharmacies (hospital and community). The other 600 of these internship hours may be completed in experiences substantially related to the practice of pharmacy.

Upon graduation, we will certify that you have completed 600 hours in experience substantially related to the practice of pharmacy. Students in the Pharmaceutical Care Pathway may earn up to 120 hours of intern experience for experiences associated with CP 147, the Community Pharmacy Practice APPE. Approval of intern hours for experiences in CP 147 is at the discretion of the precepto
This document from the state board website also says the same thing but doesn't specify whether or not these hours can be acquired through your APPE or if they must be done outside of school interning.

I would call just to make sure but right now, the way I understand it, if you get the 1,500 hours through your APPE then you should be fine.

rxtiger

10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
The way that I understand the law, the hours can come from both school IPPEs/APPEs and from outside of school. The 900/600 distinction mandates that at least 900 of those hours must be in an actual pharmacy (hospital, community, clinic, etc) while the other 600 may come from experience that is not picked up in a pharmacy (i.e. research, working with a drug company, etc). The law also mandates that the intern must have both retail and hospital experience hours before sitting for the boards.

Source: Pharmacy Law for California Pharmacists

Reactions: swatchgirl