California Psychology Supplemental Exam (CPSE)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychstuca

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I appreciated very much a thread on EPPP preparation, and would also like to open a similar thread on CPSE, since I see that quite a few of us are here in California. If anyone wants to share any input on the CPSE preparation process that would be very helpful. I heard polar opinions on the level of difficulty and the time required to prepare. Also, I wonder if most people who passed used only one source versus multiple sources (i.e., Psych Prep and AATBS).

I am in a phase of searching for study materials now.Hopefully I'll organize myself to begin my study next month.

Thank so much in advance for everyone's responses!

Members don't see this ad.

I appreciated very much a thread on EPPP preparation, and would also like to open a similar thread on CPSE, since I see that quite a few of us are here in California. If anyone wants to share any input on the CPSE preparation process that would be very helpful. I heard polar opinions on the level of difficulty and the time required to prepare. Also, I wonder if most people who passed used only one source versus multiple sources (i.e., Psych Prep and AATBS).

Sorry I don't have any advice on preparing for the exam as I'm barely into a psychology program yet (I'm still waiting to hear back from the schools where I applied). But I'm interested in working in California in the future and am interested in your topic. So do you have to pass the EPPP first before taking the CPSE or they are more like seperate exams? BTW, do you think California has preference toward a certain type of degree such as PhD vs PsyD and clinical psych vs counseling psych? I didn't apply to study in any of the programs in Cali though.

You advice will be appreciated tremendously!

I am in a phase of searching for study materials now.Hopefully I'll organize myself to begin my study next month.

Thank so much in advance for everyone's responses!

I took the CPSE the first year it was implemented (previously it was the Jurisprudence exam). I think I used PsychPrep materials (single source).

Don't underestimate its difficulty.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI: California is doing away with the CPSE. If you watch the board meeting from October 2012 they mention the recently approved legislation to change this requirement. I recently moved from WA where I was licensed and have been trying to get more information about when this change will take effect as the idea of doing another exam kind of kills me:) In emailing the board I've been told that yes, the legislation has been approved, but they have yet to determine when it will go into effect. If anyone else has any information on this, or feels inclined to contact the board for more information, I would greatly appreciate it:)

FYI: California is doing away with the CPSE. If you watch the board meeting from October 2012 they mention the recently approved legislation to change this requirement. I recently moved from WA where I was licensed and have been trying to get more information about when this change will take effect as the idea of doing another exam kind of kills me:) In emailing the board I've been told that yes, the legislation has been approved, but they have yet to determine when it will go into effect. If anyone else has any information on this, or feels inclined to contact the board for more information, I would greatly appreciate it:)

Hi Anonymous 10, thanks for your response and leads on this anticipated change. I had no idea! Well, I looked in the Board's minutes from October 2012, and what I took from it is that CPSE is not getting removed for good but simply is being replaced with "an enhanced version" of CPLEE. CPLEE is a law &ethics exam which is I believe 50% shorter and easier than CPSE. Not sure what the "enhanced version" will look like though...
Thanks to you I read a bit about CPLEE and it appears that you would qualify for this exam now if you have 5 years post-licensure in WA. Which I assume may not be the case if you believe you have to take CPSE.

Anyway, thank you for this interesting information. I wonder how long this will take to go into effect. I will def contact the board and of course I will share any news are available. Why study twice as much and cover the material that has already been covered in EPPP, right??! More than enough hoops to jump through already :)

I took the CPSE the first year it was implemented (previously it was the Jurisprudence exam). I think I used PsychPrep materials (single source).

Don't underestimate its difficulty.

Thank you JeyRo, this is very helpful. I have heard that PsychPrep materials better prepare for the CPSE exam than those of AATBS (which looks like is reverse for EPPP).

Sorry I don't have any advice on preparing for the exam as I'm barely into a psychology program yet (I'm still waiting to hear back from the schools where I applied). But I'm interested in working in California in the future and am interested in your topic. So do you have to pass the EPPP first before taking the CPSE or they are more like seperate exams? BTW, do you think California has preference toward a certain type of degree such as PhD vs PsyD and clinical psych vs counseling psych? I didn't apply to study in any of the programs in Cali though.

You advice will be appreciated tremendously!

As far as I know California has no special requirements or preferences for psychologists' backgrounds than any other states do. You want to be competitive for a specific agency or market where you want to work in the future, this is true for jobs in every state. And of course, attending a reputable school helps. One thing you should know about California is that it is probably the most competitive state for psychologist jobs today. However, the situation may very well be different in 5-6 years when you may be ready to apply for internship. Best of luck with your admission process!

As far as I know California has no special requirements or preferences for psychologists' backgrounds than any other states do. You want to be competitive for a specific agency or market where you want to work in the future, this is true for jobs in every state. And of course, attending a reputable school helps. One thing you should know about California is that it is probably the most competitive state for psychologist jobs today. However, the situation may very well be different in 5-6 years when you may be ready to apply for internship. Best of luck with your admission process!

Thank you soooo very much!

Hi guys,
I just wanted to send the information the board provided me regarding the CPSE. My understanding is that they are going back to using the CPLEE, which as Psychstuca noted, ONLY includes the jurisprudence (state law and ethics) content. In other words, they are doing away with the majority of the CPSE content and reducing it to a standard jurisprudence exam, like all states have. With regards to what is meant by an "enhanced version," my guess is that they are reformatting and re-norming the current CLEE, but this is just a hypothesis. In reviewing recent board meetings, there appeared to be some concern about the relatively LOW pass rate for candidates who were taking just the CPLEE. Each month only a handful (sometimes only 1) people qualified to take just the CPLEE, as only candidates moving from another state in which they had been licensed for a minimum of 5 years were eligible to take it. However, given that ALL applicants will now be taking it in place of the CPSE, my guess is that they will need to have the pass rate closer to the 80 percent mark, rather than the 50 percent mark, which has been the documented pass rate in recent months for candidates taking just the CPLEE. Again, below is my recent correspondence with the board regarding this change:

me: According to the board meeting minutes from October 19th, 2012 and subsequent proposed amendments to the examination regulations, title 16, it appears that the California Psychology Supplemental Exam (CPSE) will no longer be required and that the EPPP and CPLEE will be the remaining required exams for licensure. Is this correct and, if so, when will this change take effect?

respondent: The Board did approve the change. The implementation of the CPLEE is yet to be determined as the regulation has to be changed before we can implement the CPLEE

Hope this helps guys! Anyone else who has more information, please post! Again, this is just my interpretation of what has been stated in the archived board meeting minutes. I encourage everyone who has questions to contact the board directly for more information. And then, of course, to share it with us on this forum:)

I have no experience with AATBS, but I am less than impressed with PsychPrep. There are errors in the manual.

Most notable, Ewing versus Goldstein does NOT expand Tarasoff information to include "close others" as PsychPrep indicates. It only expands it to "family menbers"

They also have some weird stuff in there about informed consent in situation of sexual assault for minors that makes no sense.

I've consulted very senior psychologists who instruct on ethics and they have appraised the PsychPrep materials I've questioned as poorly constructed.

Just FYI for anyone looking.

Edit 7/13. I ended up passing. Method: turned the PsychPrep study manual into a mountain of flash cards, read the manual front to back 2x, and took each practice test 3 times. Day before..light review & a glass of cabernet in the evening. Day of...good cup o joe, and no studying. I found the test very poorly constructed and found numerous questions way out of left field.

Last edited:
Did anyone else use materials other than PsychPrep? I see Aequitasveritas had some issues with the psychprep materials, but still passed. I'm wondering what others have used, and how they did, whether psychprep or another company. Thanks.

I just passed the CPSE (first time) using the Psychprep Home Study Combo materials. I used AATBS with success for the EPPP, but the online reviews seemed to indicate that Psychprep was better for the CPSE. I found the weekend workshop CDs / powerpoints to be very helpful in deciding which of the correct answers was the "best" answer, particularly for the state law and ethics portion.

My Psychprep CPSE study materials are for sale on San Diego Craigslist if anyone is interested! I'll even throw in my notes and flash cards.

I just passed the CPSE (first time) using the Psychprep Home Study Combo materials. I used AATBS with success for the EPPP, but the online reviews seemed to indicate that Psychprep was better for the CPSE. I found the weekend workshop CDs / powerpoints to be very helpful in deciding which of the correct answers was the "best" answer, particularly for the state law and ethics portion.

My Psychprep CPSE study materials are for sale on San Diego Craigslist if anyone is interested! I'll even throw in my notes and flash cards.

Hi! Are your CPSE study materials still available? If they are, could you please email me at [email protected]? Thank you!

Just curious if anyone had more opinions of study materials for the CPSE? Like AATBS vs others? Also, how would you compare the CPSE to the EPPP (for those that have taken and passed both)? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user