California residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatsupdoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to become a resident of California if you go there just for med school? I know that some states will allow you to do so if you pay taxes, etc. after one year. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You can become a resident after one year, but if the only reason you came was to attend school the state does not consider that, so you would have to live here a year before entering school.

There are some exceptions, ie if you buy a house, have a spouse who is employed here and paying taxes???

huh. anyone know anything more about this?

i was under the impression that if you were renting a house/registered to vote/and changed your license and bank account that you could become a CA resident after 1 year, even if that year was as a med student.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you want to be a California resident?? Unless you like paying ALOT of taxes...........j/k.......I love Cali!

Jetson

If you are going to move somewhere, just to get into medical school, I would move to Texas.

The school is cheap, it is relatively easy to get in, and the cost of living is reasonable. They are also well respected schools.

As far as I know from friends at UC med and grad schools, as long as you change everything to CA by the residency determination date for the following year, you can get in-state tuition starting in your second year of medical or graduate school. This is different than the policy for undergrads where you must live and work a year in CA first. The rules are different for foreign students. You should call the school and find out when the residency determination date is because if you do the stuff too late you'll have to wait an additional year.