California resident OOS school list advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moosher

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This seems to be a tradition over here, so here we go
About me:

-CA Resident
-Major: Biology
-3.91 gpa and 3.92 science gpa
-MCAT: 35M (12 ps,12 verbal, 11 bio)

Activities:
2 yrs of undergrad research, 2 second author pubs, presentation at symposium
1 summer of clinical volunteering at ED of hospital 60 hours
1 quarter of shadowing Surgeon 75 hours
1 year of chemistry department tutoring (prepared worksheets and lecture for exam reviews)
1 yr of school club visiting local elementary schools, doing interactive presentations on health and safety
1 quarter of course developing for organic chemistry lab
Work experience: few months tutoring at tutoring center for rich suburban kids
president of astronomy club (have keys to observatory), and officers on two other school clubs

Lors from: Bio research PI, upper div bio professor, chemistry professor, art studio professor, and doctor i shadowed

What are the weak points of the app, and how useful is a letter from the doctor i shadowed ?
School list
All UC's, USC, Stanford
Rosalind franklin
Virginia commenwealth
NYM
Temple
Tufts
Boston
Einstein
Ohio state
NYU
St. Louis, MO

Any other schools i should apply to? or ones i shouldn't bother at?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Tufts and Boston are money suckers on apps and have 10k plus applicants each cycle. I'd apply elsewhere and save some money...

3.80+ check
35 Mcat check
research/volunteer check

you sir are qualified for all of schools you are applying. It is now your upcoming interviews that will matter the most.

Be sincere and positive. Good luck.

If you don't mind Arizona, definitely apply to the Arizona schools (with their 50% OOS rate now). I also think you could add some better schools in the cities (I can tell you clearly want to live in a real city for med school)-- Philly: you should add Jefferson and Penn as your dream school, NYC: Definitely add Einstein and Mt. Sinai (and Columbia if you want), Ohio: add Cincinnati, Chicago: add Northwestern, Rush, and UChicago, and some other big city schools like Miami, Georgetown, Emory.