California Resident Pursuing MD in Texas??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herbertkim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone from California with no dependents in Texas got into Texan medical schools. I've heard that Texan medical school recruit most of its pool from in-state students.

I've already researched about changing my status from California resident to Texas resident, but I wanted to find out for sure if there has been any cases similar to mine.

BTW, I am considering accepting offer from Rice University soon and start there as an undergrad/Pre-Med and go to one of those UT med school or Baylor Med upon graduation.

Please help me out!:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

so your in high school?

yeah, its possible. But if I'm correct, you'd have to work fulltime and declare independence for state residency.

There most likely have been people who took the path you describe, although I'm not sure how knowing that would help you. It is statistically true that you will benefit from being a Texas resident if your goal is to go to a Texas medical school. Rice is an excellent undergraduate institution. You will have plenty of opportunities to make yourself a competitive applicant for medical school. In the meantime, focus on getting the best grades possible and start looking for research/volunteering opportunities once college starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
wait a minute, OP change your tag to pre-med.

Try to get instate residency as soon as possible though.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone from California with no dependents in Texas got into Texan medical schools. I've heard that Texan medical school recruit most of its pool from in-state students.

I've already researched about changing my status from California resident to Texas resident, but I wanted to find out for sure if there has been any cases similar to mine.

BTW, I am considering accepting offer from Rice University soon and start there as an undergrad/Pre-Med and go to one of those UT med school or Baylor Med upon graduation.

Please help me out!:xf:

Do yourself a favor and don't go to Rice.

I've heard great things about Rice, don't know what the poster ahead of me means (maybe waitlisted? :D jk). Just know that going to college somewhere does not always make you a resident. Often you have to work or own property there for a year first. If you want to go to med school in Texas for sure, IMO it'd be totally worth taking an extra year or two after college to get residency.

Yeah, I wouldn't listen to the poster Jaggibs07. Rice is an excellent UG that has an awesome premed advising office and tons of money to help you make it affordable.

But, I'm curious. I've been seeing it everywhere. Why is being a California Resident so bad? Is it because Cali med schools are notoriously hard to get in?

Do yourself a favor and don't go to Rice.

Why not? Everyone I know who goes to Rice tell me about how they'll get into such a great medical school just because they're from Rice.

And by going to Rice you get the added ability to be super super snooty. Who wouldn't want that?

Yeah, I wouldn't listen to the poster Jaggibs07. Rice is an excellent UG that has an awesome premed advising office and tons of money to help you make it affordable.

But, I'm curious. I've been seeing it everywhere. Why is being a California Resident so bad? Is it because Cali med schools are notoriously hard to get in?
It is the number of applicants vs number of seats. The inflated ratio bumps up the matriculant average making Cali residents have a disadvantage compared to applicants from other states with equivalent stats.

It is the number of applicants vs number of seats. The inflated ratio bumps up the matriculant average making Cali residents have a disadvantage compared to applicants from other states with equivalent stats.

Wait, disadvantage compared to applicants from other states applying to THEIR medical school or disadvantage compared to applicants from other states applying to CALI medical schools?

It would make sense if it were the former and not the latter.

Why not? Everyone I know who goes to Rice tell me about how they'll get into such a great medical school just because they're from Rice.

And by going to Rice you get the added ability to be super super snooty. Who wouldn't want that?

Bad football

Rice is good, and it would take you some time to establish residency. I'd say don't let the TX residency be the sole reason for moving all the way there (seriously, it's a long ways over, and you'll be uprooting life in a certain environment to come to a completely different lifestyle).