California School of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt University (CSPM) Class of 2025 Interview/Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone planning to apply here?

Anyone planning to apply here?
Yes, I applied here and I was informed that they are currently reviewing my application. I have not heard anything since then but that was only four or five days ago so hopefully within the next week I will hear something. How about you?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an email to schedule my interview

Reactions: 1 user
Interview scheduled on 9/11

I was wondering how specific was everyone when answering the questions about “please share your thoughts” on the 3 topics, like diversity and inclusion, etc.
The character limit is 9999 so I’m a little confused on how much to write.

I was wondering how specific was everyone when answering the questions about “please share your thoughts” on the 3 topics, like diversity and inclusion, etc.

Write as much or as little as you want. You're over thinking it.

Yeah, what @Weirdy said. I didn’t write anything in that blank and still received an interview from them near the end of last cycle. I wouldn’t advise doing that, but it is what it is. Lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an interview. Scheduled for September 11!

I applied last year and was waitlisted and eventually accepted into the Class of 2025. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I applied last year and was waitlisted and eventually accepted into the Class of 2025. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
I have heard they utilize the STAR method for interviews. How would you recommend preparing for them? Thank you!

I have heard they utilize the STAR method for interviews. How would you recommend preparing for them? Thank you!
I think you are referring to situational questions. Mine were more simple and straight forward than that. It was a 2 on 1 interview and some of the questions asked were:
"What made you choose podiatry?"
"What drew you to CSPM?"
"How will you handle the increased workload of podiatry school?"
"What did you change in your studying that helped you achieve an upward trend (grades wise)?"
"Why did you struggle with O chem and how will you handle a difficult subject?"
"Why did you choose podiatry over a different medical program?"

To prepare for your interview, I would recognize the weaknesses in your application (if you have any) and be able to respond with how you are a better applicant because of how you dealt with the adversity. I would also make sure to read up on the school and be prepared to explain why CSPM over any other school (specifically small class sizes and early clinical exposure).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are referring to situational questions. Mine were more simple and straight forward than that. It was a 2 on 1 interview and some of the questions asked were:
"What made you choose podiatry?"
"What drew you to CSPM?"
"How will you handle the increased workload of podiatry school?"
"What did you change in your studying that helped you achieve an upward trend (grades wise)?"
"Why did you struggle with O chem and how will you handle a difficult subject?"
"Why did you choose podiatry over a different medical program?"

To prepare for your interview, I would recognize the weaknesses in your application (if you have any) and be able to respond with how you are a better applicant because of how you dealt with the adversity. I would also make sure to read up on the school and be prepared to explain why CSPM over any other school (specifically small class sizes and early clinical exposure).
Did they ask you questions from the supplementary part of their application (i.e. sharing your thoughts section)?

Did they ask you questions from the supplementary part of their application (i.e. sharing your thoughts section)?
No they didn't. I just interviewed this past week.

Interview scheduled 9/23 excited and a bit nervous.

Anyone know how long for CSPM to make decisions? I interviewed 9/21

I interviewed here September 21st as well and I was getting a little anxious. So I actually emailed Dr. Tran this morning and he emailed me right back. He said it usually takes about two weeks to hear something after the interview, but he hopes to start sending out decisions by tomorrow.

14 business days

Give it some time.

After 14 business days, email someone to see if there are any updates on your application/interview.

Good luck folks.

Was just accepted today! I do have a question about scholarships for this school. This is the note I got in my acceptance email:

"I am also pleased to inform you that you are eligible for the Dean's Scholarship in the amount of $5,000.00 should you commit to CSPM by the deposit due date. Please note that the award of scholarships is based upon availability at the time of offer of admission."

On CSPM under the scholarships/tuition tab, they have this listed:

All accepted students are considered for the Entrance Scholarship. Awarding of these scholarships is based on both MCAT score and GPA at the time of application. These scholarships are renewable, based on maintaining academic achievement. Entering Doctor of Podiatric Medicine scholarships include:

• Regent’s Scholarship $15,000
  • Presidential Scholarship $10,000
Does anyone know if the Dean's Scholarship will be the only scholarship I can qualify for or am I still in the running to get the merit scholarships listed above? Thanks!

Accepted today! Also with the $5k dean scholarship. Not sure how that works.

@texasblade98 did you respond to the email or just planning on doing deposit if you plan to attend by Nov. 2

@texasblade98 did you respond to the email or just planning on doing deposit if you plan to attend by Nov. 2
Is this your top school? I emailed Dr. Tran and this was his response :

"Last year as is this year, CSPM wants to help EVERY single student that is awarded admission into the program. COVID-19, societal uncertainty etc. all place stresses on our students, and we want to take every opportunity to help every candidate that joins the CSPM family. To that end, the funds from ALL three scholarships have been pooled into one “pot” and every admitted candidate is granted a $5000.00 scholarship. This scholarship is renewable in subsequent years as long as the candidate maintains academic excellence and maintains a GPA of 3.3 or higher."

Is this your top school? I emailed Dr. Tran and this was his response :

"Last year as is this year, CSPM wants to help EVERY single student that is awarded admission into the program. COVID-19, societal uncertainty etc. all place stresses on our students, and we want to take every opportunity to help every candidate that joins the CSPM family. To that end, the funds from ALL three scholarships have been pooled into one “pot” and every admitted candidate is granted a $5000.00 scholarship. This scholarship is renewable in subsequent years as long as the candidate maintains academic excellence and maintains a GPA of 3.3 or higher."

This is what he means.

Usually, x amount of students get awarded 5k, 10k, 15k.

This year due to COVID affecting students, they have decided to put all of those scholarships into 1 pot, and split it 5k each for as many students as they can award.

That way they can reach out to a greater number of students with the same pot of money. Even if each student only gets 5k.

Does this make sense?

Interviewed on 10/28 and got accepted exactly a week later!

Hey guys!
interview is virtual right?

I cant seem to find residency placement list for this school. Anyone know where I can find the list?

I cant seem to find residency placement list for this school. Anyone know where I can find the list?
Shared among current students.
Not sure if publicly available.

Past 2 years include Kaiser, Scripps, VAs, JPS, Scott & White, Houston HCA, Dekalb, Cambridge, Boston etc.

Some end up at great programs some end up not so great ones.

Matching to specific programs is more student dependent than premeds/prepods think.

Shared among current students.
Not sure if publicly available.

Past 2 years include Kaiser, Scripps, VAs, JPS, Scott & White, Houston HCA, Dekalb, Cambridge, Boston etc.

Some end up at great programs some end up not so great ones.

Matching to specific programs is more student dependent than premeds/prepods think.
Thank you! Can you elaborate more on what you mean by student dependent?

Thank you! Can you elaborate more on what you mean by student dependent?
Pre-health students like to go stat shopping when picking their schools.

Nothing wrong with that and its the only thing you can go off of unless you talk to current students directly, but it has its fallacies.

Pre-health students don't take into account individual characteristics of students.

There are 4.0 students who will fail boards first try. There are 2.7 students who will pass their first try.
There are 4.0 students who have no idea what they are doing in clinic or OR and create more work for others. There are 2.7 students who will be extremely helpful and socially competent.

Then there is everything inbetween- the perfect 3.0 to 4.0 student with competent hand/ social skills and work ethic etc

As a pre-whatever student, you don't realize how much you can change where you end up for residency simply by working hard, being sociable, and wanting the best for your team, not just yourself.

This can land you a stellar residency based on your clerkship month even if your grades are lower than what those programs usually take.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Pre-health students like to go stat shopping when picking their schools.

Nothing wrong with that and its the only thing you can go off of unless you talk to current students directly, but it has its fallacies.

Pre-health students don't take into account individual characteristics of students.

There are 4.0 students who will fail boards first try. There are 2.7 students who will pass their first try.
There are 4.0 students who have no idea what they are doing in clinic or OR and create more work for others. There are 2.7 students who will be extremely helpful and socially competent.

Then there is everything inbetween- the perfect 3.0 to 4.0 student with competent hand/ social skills and work ethic etc

As a pre-whatever student, you don't realize how much you can change where you end up for residency simply by working hard, being sociable, and wanting the best for your team, not just yourself.

This can land you a stellar residency based on your clerkship month even if your grades are lower than what those programs usually take.
That totally makes sense. Thank you!

How long does it take to hear back for an interview invite after they received your verified app?

Hey guys, I have a interview at CSPM Monday. Are we allowed to have a paper to quickly glance at for points to talk about?

Can someone please share a little bit about the timeline and schedule on POD school in general or at CSPM?
Year 1 - classes (try to involve in research and other opportunities)
Year 2 - classes, AMPLE Part I, and start rotation
Year 3 - Rotations
year 4 - AMPLE Part II?
(residency first year AMPLE Part III?)
Do you take more board exams during your residency for Food and Ankle board etc? or Just need to apply to those after your AMPLE?

Thank you for helping me to put together a timeline. I will be joining CSPM in the fall. My wife and I are just trying to get a plan together of what life is going to be like the next few years. Thank you.

Can someone please share a little bit about the timeline and schedule on POD school in general or at CSPM?
Year 1 - classes (try to involve in research and other opportunities)
Year 2 - classes, AMPLE Part I, and start rotation
Year 3 - Rotations
year 4 - AMPLE Part II?
(residency first year AMPLE Part III?)
Do you take more board exams during your residency for Food and Ankle board etc? or Just need to apply to those after your AMPLE?

Thank you for helping me to put together a timeline. I will be joining CSPM in the fall. My wife and I are just trying to get a plan together of what life is going to be like the next few years. Thank you.
Nothing you can do will prepare you.

Just kidding.

Year 1- classes, start clinicals as early as May
Year 2- Lots of classes. Felt even harder. APMLE 1 July
Year 3- All clinicals, 1 day of class a week, still have exams. Apply for clerkships October, sign contract April.
Year 4- Clerkships, End of Dec - Jan is your big one. Jan = APMLE 2 + residency interviews. APMLE 3 is June.

I've heard its better to get it out of the way as a student, residency is super busy enough without having to make time to take an exam. That being said end of 4th year after match you will be exhausted and less inclined to want to study for another board exam.

Nothing you can do will prepare you.

Just kidding.

Year 1- classes, start clinicals as early as May
Year 2- Lots of classes. Felt even harder. APMLE 1 July
Year 3- All clinicals, 1 day of class a week, still have exams. Apply for clerkships October, sign contract April.
Year 4- Clerkships, End of Dec - Jan is your big one. Jan = APMLE 2 + residency interviews. APMLE 3 is June.

I've heard its better to get it out of the way as a student, residency is super busy enough without having to make time to take an exam. That being said end of 4th year after match you will be exhausted and less inclined to want to study for another board exam.
Thank you so much for the timeline. Yeah... its just for us to think about the next few years in terms of our lives in the Bay area.. kids... etc.
Congrats on Matching into a residency. I hope you got the one you like.
Any tips on the first year on studying for school and the board? I remember in one of the school interview/info session with current students. someone recommend getting the AMPLE review books early and just kind of get a sense of the topics that will be on the board exams? Do you recommend doing that as well?

Thank you so much!

Thank you so much for the timeline. Yeah... its just for us to think about the next few years in terms of our lives in the Bay area.. kids... etc.
Congrats on Matching into a residency. I hope you got the one you like.
Any tips on the first year on studying for school and the board? I remember in one of the school interview/info session with current students. someone recommend getting the AMPLE review books early and just kind of get a sense of the topics that will be on the board exams? Do you recommend doing that as well?

Thank you so much!
Board exam studying is a different animal in terms of preparation and dedicated studying time.

The best you can do is do well in your classes. Learn the material as best you can.

When it comes time for boards, it is completely possible to pass it with strict discipline, a dedicated schedule, and the right books (all covered in the APMLE part 1 thread in detail.)

Don't worry about boards for now.
Some will still tell you to get the books and review them while you learn your class material- but it is not the end all be all.

Hey everyone. I know this has been asked before but has anyone interviewed recently? Any tips? I’ve just scheduled mine and I’m nervous lol
Be yourself.

If you have glaring holes in your transcript or MCAT score, be ready to address it. Take responsibility for it, tell them what you did differently the second time around, etc.

Don't beat around the bush or try to dress it up as a strength or whatever they do these days.
Interview question section on Resources page are helpful.

Hello everybody! Is there an accepted student group me or facebook page for this school?

@Weirdy Thank you for the info! I just submitted my deposit yesterday so hopefully that will come within the next couple of days.

Is applying in March/ April too late for this cycle? Also are the interviews still virtual?

Is applying in March/ April too late for this cycle? Also are the interviews still virtual?
Not too late.

Unsure if still virtual or not.

Make sure you've shadowed properly and know pros and cons of podiatry before you jump to this.
You will be locked into foot and ankle. You will not have the same "prestige" as going MD/DO.
Your job opportunities and compensation will not be the same as MD/DO.

If you can accept the above, go for it. Went to CSPM and loved it despite cost of living. Any other questions, continue to ask here.

Thank you. Can you expand more on their curriculum? Is it lecture base 8-5? Also how far is the nearest housing/ Apt complex from the campus?

Last edited: