California schools suitable for an OOS LizzyM 73 applicant with average app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t0bes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. Many of the California schools are notoriously sought after. Where do you imagine a LizzyM 73 OOS should apply. GPA 3.52 + MCAT 521 or 38. Average ECs with Masters degree by matriculation time.

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea what it takes to get into a California school. I got 1 II and then got rejected post interview. Seems like no matter what your app looks like, there is still a lot of chance involved. Definitely apply, but don't count on any California school.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't bother with UC Davis. Big in-state bias there.

An average app won't get you into a California school, unfortunately. If you look at the MSAR, the stat ranges seem pretty reasonable. However, you need to be a standout with your ECs and be in line with their institutional missions. At least, that is the sense I have gotten in my interviews at California schools and information shared on these forums.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
UCI
Loma Linda

IF you have a strong upward trend, maybe UCLA, UCSD and/or Keck. The MS won't add anything unless it's a SMP. As the wise @gyngyn points out, you're expected to ace a research MS, and they're notorious for grade inflation.

Title says it all. Many of the California schools are notoriously sought after. Where do you imagine a LizzyM 73 OOS should apply. GPA 3.52 + MCAT 521 or 38. Average ECs with Masters degree by matriculation time.

@CaliforniaDreamer don't you have crazy high stats and are a CA resident?:confused:
Do you mind sharing what school you had that experience with?

You can check my MD Apps, but I have been pre-II rejected from most CA schools, post-II rejected from UCSF, and limbo with UCLA and UCI.
Ah, didn't notice you had one. Best of luck to you, hopefully you'll hear back soon from your other interviewed schools. This state is nuts

Reactions: 1 users

umm.... I'm kind of new to this. What does LizzyM 73 mean?

Don't bother with UC Davis. Big in-state bias there.

An average app won't get you into a California school, unfortunately. If you look at the MSAR, the stat ranges seem pretty reasonable. However, you need to be a standout with your ECs and be in line with their institutional missions. At least, that is the sense I have gotten in my interviews at California schools and information shared on these forums.
In state bias? This must be the only UC that has that. A UCI admission counselor straight up told us at a pre-med thing that they have no in-state bias. Its cali--they don't need in-state bias.

Reactions: 1 user
Just apply broadly and outside of CA, you can always look back into it for residency/fellowship/job

In state bias? This must be the only UC that has that. A UCI admission counselor straight up told us at a pre-med thing that they have no in-state bias. Its cali--they don't need in-state bias.
Both UCD and UCR have a strong IS bias. They are the only UC's with a stated preference, though.