California state schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmm262002

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to get into any of the UC med schools from out of state? If so, how tough are they to get into compared to some private schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not from Cali and I applied to UCLA and USC. I am in at USC (private) and on the 1st tier waitlist at UCLA so it is possible. Both of these schools end up with around 20 (or so) out of state students.

rmm262002 said:
Is it possible to get into any of the UC med schools from out of state? If so, how tough are they to get into compared to some private schools?

I think only UCLA and UCSF accept out-of-state applicants. The other UC schools rarely do. I believe UCSF sets aside around 20 spots for out-of-state students but I'm not sure about UCLA (but the numbers are probably similar). I'm from California but I understand it's pretty tough to get in as an non-resident. Definitely try for it. The out-of-state UC students are amazing people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bear1220 said:
I think only UCLA and UCSF accept out-of-state applicants. The other UC schools rarely do. I believe UCSF sets aside around 20 spots for out-of-state students but I'm not sure about UCLA (but the numbers are probably similar). I'm from California but I understand it's pretty tough to get in as an non-resident. Definitely try for it. The out-of-state UC students are amazing people.

aww bear that is so sweet :)

i agree with bear, apply to UCLA and UCSF .. i got into them, and those are the only two i applied to knowing that it would be impossible to get into the other UCs .. even my interviewer at UCSF noted two facts that hurt my chances 1) residency 2) my undergrad institution ............ but you can always compensate for that .. give it a shot! CA kids are amazing people (a big reason why i chose my school) :thumbup:

mentoz said:
aww bear that is so sweet :)

i agree with bear, apply to UCLA and UCSF .. i got into them, and those are the only two i applied to knowing that it would be impossible to get into the other UCs .. even my interviewer at UCSF noted two facts that hurt my chances 1) residency 2) my undergrad institution ............ but you can always compensate for that .. give it a shot! CA kids are amazing people (a big reason why i chose my school) :thumbup:

Anytime, mentoz. Glad to see it looks like you've decided on UCSF. I'm holding onto my JHU spot right now but I'm pretty sure I'll be at UCSF next year; just talking to a few more individuals before I make my final decision.