California Status Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magree

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi:

Is there anyone who has successfully obtained a CA status letter and who might be willing to answer some questions? How long did it take you? Did you have to send in the fingerprint cards? Did you have to have extra documentation for Family Practice rotations, Psych rotations and general medicine? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

M-

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi rickmyster78:

Its a bureaucratic hassle that CA makes FMGs go through (and charges $500 and takes months to complete). You must send your ECFMG certificate, USMLE scores, original Diploma, birth certificate if your a U.S. citizen or visa info if your not, certification of your education, and a bunch of other stuff depending upon where you did your forth year electives etc. Most of the info. is on the CA board of med's webpage. Hope this helps. Anyone out there who has managed to navigate the gauntlet? Would love to hear how the process goes.

Cheers,

M-

Hey out there -

Isn't there anyone on sdn that had managed to get a CA letter? I really could use some help and advice. Thanks in advance.

M-

Hi - I got a Ca status letter earlier this year, if you have any questions, let me know.... It takes quite a while, I started the process in September 2000 and didn't get the letter until about April of this year (so no scramble for me). :rolleyes:
You do have to either send in the fingerprint cards or go do livescan at a police station that's set up for it (livescan is way faster and probably takes out a month or two of waiting).
Ofcourse, you have to have L6s for all your clinical rotations, but no extra documentation for any specific rotations.

Hi Pathdoc:

Why did it take so long? I have most of my paperwork together but still waiting for a bit more. I hope to have it all next week. Have you been doing research since you couldn't scramble? Thanks.

Cheers,

M-

Hey Pathdoc -

I am really in need of some advice. I did the livescan fingerprinting but I'm really desperate to get this letter. Please help!

M-