California to Merge Naturopathic Board with DO Board

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I spoke with Dustin Corcoran at the CMA. He said that they were joining OPSC in the fight. Last I heard they were working on a lawsuit to challenge it.

You can check CMANET.org for updates.

It's ironic that CMA is fighting with organized osteopathic medicine. 50 years ago, they tried to absorb it. I guess some things do change in half a century.

Members don't see this ad.

BUMP

Just got the following email.

OPSC's legislation to remove the two naturopathic doctor positions from the Osteopathic Medical Board of California (OMBC) is scheduled for its first legislative hearing. SB 1050 (Yee) will be heard at 1:00 on Monday, April 5 at the State Capitol. Students who wish to attend the hearing are asked to contact OPSC at [email protected].

In addition to the tremendously successful February 4 March on the Capitol, OPSC has worked with many individuals and organizations over the past few months to ensure the success of the legislation, including:

- Governor Schwazenegger's staff members
- Senator Leland Yee
- Senator Gloria Negrete McLeod (who represents WesternU/COMP and chairs key legislative committee)
- Senate Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg
- Cabinet secretary Fred Aguiar
- Department of Consumer Affairs Director Brian Stiger
- Senate committee consultants Bill Gage and GV Ayers
- California Medical Association leaders
- California Naturopathic Doctors Association

It appears that agreement has been reached on the language in the bill, which will help its potential for passage. OPSC thanks all students who participated in the March on the Capitol, as that helped set the foundation for legislative support.

The text of SB 1050 may be found at
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/sen/sb_1001-1050/sb_1050_bill_20100325_amended_sen_v98.html

If you have any questions about the legislation or OPSC's activities, please feel free to contact OPSC. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
(hope this isn't an April Fool's) ^^ good for them. :thumbup:

(hope this isn't an April Fool's) ^^ good for them. :thumbup:

you can find it on their main page:

http://www.opsc.org/

The legislation to remove the two naturopathic doctors from the Osteopathic Medical Board of California is facing its first legislative hearing on Monday, April 5.

OPSC Introduces Legislation to Address Naturopathic Issue

OPSC has introduced legislation, authored by Senator Leland Yee, PhD, to address the issue of naturopathic licensure under the Osteopathic Medical Board of California (OMBC).

Senate Bill 1050, if approved by the legislature and Governor Schwarzenegger, will remove the two naturopathic doctor positions that were added to the OMBC through emergency budget legislation in 2009. The bill will likely face refining amendments as it proceeds through the legislative process. OPSC will be calling upon members and supporters of the osteopathic profession to send letters of support as the legislation faces key votes.

The current version of the legislation may be viewed at http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/sen/sb_1001-1050/sb_1050_bill_20100216_introduced.html.

OPSC Board Establishes Principles

During its February 14 meeting, the OPSC Board of Directors voted to address specific issues with the naturopathic licensure legislation, including:

Ensuring that the names of the osteopathic and naturopathic licensing bodies remain separate on any public and/or printed material to preclude further public confusion.
Specifying that the physician and surgeon positions on the Naturopathic Medicine Committee (NMC) should be filled by osteopathic physicians.
Defining the reporting structure of the Naturopathic Medicine Committee to the OMBC.
OPSC will be working with Senator Yee in an effort to include provisions addressing these issues in the legislation.

Intersting. The California Medical Board scores low in taking disciplinary action against wayward docs in comparison to other medical boards.

Not sure if they have seperate statistics for the MD and DO boards, or what those statistics would mean anyway. It would be nice to think the DO/ND board is more proactive in policing within its own ranks.
"The Los Angeles Times (4/8, Hennessy-Fiske) reported that "California's medical board is less likely than those in other states to revoke doctors' licenses or take other serious disciplinary action, according to a consumer advocate's report released this week." The state "ranked 41st among boards in all 50 states and the District of Columbia in taking serious disciplinary action against doctors last year, according to the report released Monday by Public Citizen, a Washington-based consumer group." The Times points out that "the report, based on Federation of State Medical."

bth

Intersting. The California Medical Board scores low in taking disciplinary action against wayward docs in comparison to other medical boards.

Not sure if they have seperate statistics for the MD and DO boards, or what those statistics would mean anyway. It would be nice to think the DO/ND board is more proactive in policing within its own ranks.

bth

Ew ... this really needs to be fixed ASAP.

hey Jagger, where did you go to undergrad?

Do non-American schools of osteopathy provide BOst, BOstMed, and BSc(Osteo) degrees instead of the D.O. now?

Members don't see this ad :)
top 25 undergrad to a health professions program to D.O. school. LOL. nice.

I know what you mean by the health student status. :) No more signature, Jag?

I just removed my signature in general recently. Lol ... I dunno, just happened. But yeah, for those who know ... it definitely isn't what the poster (cough, ValueMD Caribbean troll, cough) is trying to make it out to be (a post bacc or whatever).

"I am pleased to report that OPSC's legislation to regain osteopathic autonomy, SB 1050 (Yee), passed its first legislative committee with a unanimous 7-0 vote.
Senator Yee and OPSC worked diligently to gain consensus, helping to ensure the bill did not face opposition. Although early reports indicated that yesterday's legislative hearing would be postponed, it was held as originally scheduled.
SB 1050 removes the two naturopathic doctor positions from the Osteopathic Medical Board of California, adds two public member positions to the OMBC, and reorganizes the Naturopathic Medicine Committee. Details on the bill may be found at http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/sen/sb_1001-1050/sb_1050_bill_20100325_amended_sen_v98.html
As the next step in the legislative process, the bill will now go before the Senate Appropriations Committee. Further updates will be provided as the bill progresses.
Regards,
Kathleen Creason, MBA
Executive Director
Osteopathic Physicians & Surgeons of California
1900 Point West Way, Ste. 188
Sacramento, CA 95815
(916) 561-0724 Phone
(916) 561-0728 Fax
[email protected]
www.opsc.org"

"I am pleased to report that OPSC's legislation to regain osteopathic autonomy, SB 1050 (Yee), passed its first legislative committee with a unanimous 7-0 vote.
Senator Yee and OPSC worked diligently to gain consensus, helping to ensure the bill did not face opposition. Although early reports indicated that yesterday's legislative hearing would be postponed, it was held as originally scheduled.
SB 1050 removes the two naturopathic doctor positions from the Osteopathic Medical Board of California, adds two public member positions to the OMBC, and reorganizes the Naturopathic Medicine Committee. Details on the bill may be found at http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/sen/sb_1001-1050/sb_1050_bill_20100325_amended_sen_v98.html
As the next step in the legislative process, the bill will now go before the Senate Appropriations Committee. Further updates will be provided as the bill progresses.
Regards,
Kathleen Creason, MBA
Executive Director
Osteopathic Physicians & Surgeons of California
1900 Point West Way, Ste. 188
Sacramento, CA 95815
(916) 561-0724 Phone
(916) 561-0728 Fax
[email protected]
www.opsc.org"

Thanks for the update.

I just removed my signature in general recently. Lol ... I dunno, just happened. But yeah, for those who know ... it definitely isn't what the poster (cough, ValueMD Caribbean troll, cough) is trying to make it out to be (a post bacc or whatever).

good one.

6,059 posts.

you're awesome.

Do non-American schools of osteopathy provide BOst, BOstMed, and BSc(Osteo) degrees instead of the D.O. now?

A few of them hand out a "Diploma in Osteopathy" "DO," but if you check out their website they don't try to hide that US DO =/= DO from anyplace else.

What's up with this?

http://www.imperialvalleynews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7054&Itemid=2

Koren Barrett, N.D., 37, of Corona Del Mar, has been appointed to the Osteopathic Medical Board. Since 2007, she has served as a naturopathic doctor at Newport Integrative Health. Previously, Barrett was a naturopathic doctor at Susan Samueli Center, University of California, Irvine from 2008 to 2009 and at the Institute for Progressive Medicine from 2004 to 2007. She is a member of the Sanesco International Advisory Board, American Association of Naturopathic Physicians and California Naturopathic Doctors Association. This position does not require Senate confirmation and there is no salary. Barrett is a Democrat.

Gregory Weisswasser, N.D., 33, of Penn Valley, has been appointed to the Osteopathic Medical Board of California. Since 2005, he has owned and served as a naturopathic doctor for Whitewater Naturopathic Medicine. Weisswasser is a member of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians and the California Naturopathic Doctors Association. This position does not require Senate confirmation and there is no salary. Weisswasser is registered decline-to-state.

What's up with this?

http://www.imperialvalleynews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7054&Itemid=2
Koren Barrett, N.D., 37, of Corona Del Mar, has been appointed to the Osteopathic Medical Board. Since 2007, she has served as a naturopathic doctor at Newport Integrative Health. Previously, Barrett was a naturopathic doctor at Susan Samueli Center, University of California, Irvine from 2008 to 2009 and at the Institute for Progressive Medicine from 2004 to 2007. She is a member of the Sanesco International Advisory Board, American Association of Naturopathic Physicians and California Naturopathic Doctors Association. This position does not require Senate confirmation and there is no salary. Barrett is a Democrat.

Gregory Weisswasser, N.D., 33, of Penn Valley, has been appointed to the Osteopathic Medical Board of California. Since 2005, he has owned and served as a naturopathic doctor for Whitewater Naturopathic Medicine. Weisswasser is a member of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians and the California Naturopathic Doctors Association. This position does not require Senate confirmation and there is no salary. Weisswasser is registered decline-to-state.

What the hell??? I thought the ball was rolling on making sure this didn't happen? Or was appointment a necessary thing before it can be overturned?

Any clarification is appreciated.

What the hell??? I thought the ball was rolling on making sure this didn't happen? Or was appointment a necessary thing before it can be overturned?

Any clarification is appreciated.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if the appointments had been made in the past, and it was just now being reported, in spite of the fact that they weren't going through, or if they are going to stick around...

Yeah, I wasn't sure if the appointments had been made in the past, and it was just now being reported, in spite of the fact that they weren't going through, or if they are going to stick around...

I'll email the OPSC a little later today when I have a few minutes. Thanks for sharing Bruce.

from the OPSC website. hopefully the above postings arent permanent.

OPSC is pleased to report that OPSC's legislation to regain osteopathic autonomy, SB 1050 (Yee), passed its first legislative committee with a unanimous 7-0 vote.

Senator Yee and OPSC worked diligently to gain consensus, helping to ensure the bill did not face opposition. Although early reports indicated that the legislative hearing would be postponed, it was held as originally scheduled.