California Traffic Violation --4 1/2 years ago!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inhiding

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone happen to know the process of getting a stupid little $52-dollar traffic violation removed from my record (happened in CA)? I wasn't wearing a seatbelt on a trip to a 'club' 2.5 miles from my university, hence the fine. There was no drinking, obviously. We were only pulled over because it was dark and the driver couldn't see the turn lane (I wasn't the driver -- just a passenger).

A friend told me that these things automatically disappeared from one's record after 3 years...but apparently not.:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:mad::mad: It'll be 5 years come January and apparently government agencies STILL see the violation.:mad::mad::mad:

I've never gotten any other sort of ticket or violation or academic problem in my entire life. This is freaking irritating.:mad:

:::rant:::

I realize that a medical school probably wouldn't deny or admit me based on this but it's still irritating as all ****. I don't want it to hurt my chances and I don't feel like explaining it.

I'm so mad I could :boom:. How can this stupid little non-issue STILL appear on my record after nearly 5 years????

PS. No need for the 'you got what you deserved' sermon or the 'seatbelts save lives' sermon. I always always always wear my seatbelt -- this was a minor mixup in the car arrangements and I paid the **** fine so save the moralizing **** for elsewhere.

/end rant.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think this will adversely affect your chances for admission to U.S Pre-Allo Schools. If you still want it removed from your record, you can always hire a lawyer. I managed to have 2 tickets removed from my record with the help of a lawyer. Granted it was within 1 month of receiving the ticket.

Again, my advice is just to leave it be. It adds character?

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are paranoid. What does an infraction have to do with medical school? They don't even ask you about it on the application. This is just not an issue unless you are trying to get a driving job for some company.

You guys are paranoid. What does an infraction have to do with medical school? They don't even ask you about it on the application. This is just not an issue unless you are trying to get a driving job for some company.

I know you're totally right but it still makes me mad.

I'm cracking under the application strain, I think.

I know you're totally right but it still makes me mad.

I'm cracking under the application strain, I think.

This is the most important thing for you: if the violation is still on your record (it should have been removed two years ago), then you are paying high insurance premiums. I suggest you contact your insurance and ask them what violations they have on file. If that old one is one of them, you probably should get a lawyer, go after the state, and maybe even demand an insurance reimbursement for the last two years. Make sure that you are right though. Are you sure it wasn't a misdemeanor? Also remember that the duration of three years starts from the date you have been found guilty and not from the day you received the ticket.

This is the most important thing for you: if the violation is still on your record (it should have been removed two years ago), then you are paying high insurance premiums. I suggest you contact your insurance and ask them what violations they have on file. If that old one is one of them, you probably should get a lawyer, go after the state, and maybe even demand an insurance reimbursement for the last two years. Make sure that you are right though. Are you sure it wasn't a misdemeanor? Also remember that the duration of three years starts from the date you have been found guilty and not from the day you received the ticket.

Thank you. This is very helpful advice.

I haven't been paying insurance at all because I don't drive regularly (I'm in a big city) which is why I just now noticed after the rogerwilco post that "oh hey, I have a criminal record. Aren't I lucky?" (Did you see that previous post, Excelsius?)

I don't see how it could have been a misdemeanor and the fine was paid long, long ago. Between Feb and May 2004 (don't remember the exact date). $52 for not wearing a seatbelt? I mean, that couldn't seriously be a misdemeanor could it? There were no aggravating circumstances... But I'll definitely look into it. Need to make sure there's no misdemeanor there.

Sorry, apparently I misunderstood your original post. A seatbelt violation, if that's all you have, is a non-moving violation, which means that it is not costing any points on your driver license. That should be a complete non-issue and I must say that I don't see how it could be possible for that violation to be a misdemeanor. You are right. Additionally, this violation will not affect your insurance premiums since it is not a moving violation.

One more point here: it is likely that these small violations stay on your court record indefinitely. The three year rule only applies to DMV and insurance company's abilities to see your record. I am sure the courts can always see your past history. But again, this is not a problem. If you have a criminal history, I'd concentrate on that (such as purging a misdemeanor after one year).I am not sure why you are so upset about this violation when it is not a big deal (even if the application process stresses you out). Just relax. If it comforts you, I have received four tickets in the last year (so far have won one case, defaulted the other). My only concern is my insurance. I wish I had five non-moving violations (such as seatbelt) for every single ticket I received. That's a total of 20.

If you still choose to pursue this seatbelt violation, be very careful as to how you approach the court. If you appear before a judge and she feels that you are mocking the court or disrespecting her, she may find you in contempt of court and then you'll have real problems - that will become a misdemeanor and you can even be thrown into jail for a day or two.

Sorry, apparently I misunderstood your original post. A seatbelt violation, if that's all you have, is a non-moving violation, which means that it is not costing any points on your driver license. That should be a complete non-issue and I must say that I don't see how it could be possible for that violation to be a misdemeanor. You are right. Additionally, this violation will not affect your insurance premiums since it is not a moving violation.

One more point here: it is likely that these small violations stay on your court record indefinitely. The three year rule only applies to DMV and insurance company's abilities to see your record. I am sure the courts can always see your past history. But again, this is not a problem. If you have a criminal history, I'd concentrate on that (such as purging a misdemeanor after one year).I am not sure why you are so upset about this violation when it is not a big deal (even if the application process stresses you out). Just relax. If it comforts you, I have received four tickets in the last year (so far have won one case, defaulted the other). My only concern is my insurance. I wish I had five non-moving violations (such as seatbelt) for every single ticket I received. That's a total of 20.

If you still choose to pursue this seatbelt violation, be very careful as to how you approach the court. If you appear before a judge and she feels that you are mocking the court or disrespecting her, she may find you in contempt of court and then you'll have real problems - that will become a misdemeanor and you can even be thrown into jail for a day or two.

OK good advice all around. Yeah, like I said, no criminal record, so you're right, I probably shouldn't be worried/stressed.

The issue of taking it to court is pretty much non-existent as I have moved from California to New York City. Oh well, c'est la vie. If I do call, I'll make every effort not to come off as a tool with a short fuse.

Good luck with your tickets.

omg please don't pursue this. for medical school, schools don't even see it!!! i mean, think about it, if they considered everyone's speeding tickets (which are worse than seatbelt violations), everyone would be adversely affected. they even say on the apps, list any felony or misdemeanor convictions, but don't waste our time with traffic stuff. seriously, it's completely fine. don't even look into getting it off your record, it's absolutely nothing.

I think medical schools will care about your seatbelt violation about as much as they do about my many parking tickets over the years....

in other words, they don't. chill. it's ok. :cool:

Not to burst any bubbles but a number of secondary applications will ask you about your traffic violations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to burst any bubbles but a number of secondary applications will ask you about your traffic violations.

I applied twice to med school and I can't remember one secondary that asked me about traffic violations. DUI's, drug-related misdemeanors, and of course felonies, but really can't remember anything about traffic violations.

I would have remember for sure because I probably have had at least 15 tickets over the past 10, so I would have had to do some serious writing.

Most schools only care things that can get in the way of you getting your medical license. Traffic tickets aren't one of those things.

I applied twice to med school and I can't remember one secondary that asked me about traffic violations. DUI's, drug-related misdemeanors, and of course felonies, but really can't remember anything about traffic violations.

I would have remember for sure because I probably have had at least 15 tickets over the past 10, so I would have had to do some serious writing.

Most schools only care things that can get in the way of you getting your medical license. Traffic tickets aren't one of those things.

DUIs, misdemeanors, etc, may be related to traffic, but they are not infractions.

DUIs, misdemeanors, etc, may be related to traffic, but they are not infractions.

Ya thats why I just got through explaining why med schools don't ask/care about traffic violations.

If you are going to say something like that, why don't you let us know exactly which schools asked about it and exactly what they asked. If you have valid information, then maybe you must be talking about super-conservative or super-religious schools. Otherwise, you might have confused something.

"Kids (or rather adults), don't drive over 64.99 MPH on the freeway if you want to get into med school." Oh by the way, if you ever get a parking ticket, you must seriously consider Caribbean schools. You might have some chance at a DO school since they are more forgiving. If you can't park your car properly, you probably won't be a good doctor anyway.:laugh::laugh:

"Kids (or rather adults), don't drive over 64.99 MPH on the freeway if you want to get into med school." Oh by the way, if you ever get a parking ticket, you must seriously consider Caribbean schools. You might have some chance at a DO school since they are more forgiving. If you can't park your car properly, you probably won't be a good doctor anyway.:laugh::laugh:

@%^#&^@%#. I just knew I was out of luck. :p.

That stupid site that rogerwilco posted also informed me that my best friend's mother got a ticket for going 79 in a 70 mph zone. I hate that site. It seriously needs to be taken down. Isn't ANYTHING private any more? Be reasonable!!

FTR: So far the most stringent secondary I've seen says "Traffic violations resulting in fines in excess of $200".

For perspective, though, in one of the places I've lived, it's possible to get a $275 ticket for doing 30 in a school zone (20 mph). So, yeah, lucky for me, I don't have to explain that one.

Omigod. Chillax...I don't think any schools care about a minor traffic violation years ago as long as you paid the fee. My friends trying to get into med schools right now have 4+ speeding tickets and multiple seatbelt violations...hasn't become an issue so far. You're too young to be THIS neurotic. Just take a deep breath and enjoy the process (if that's possible...I don't think it is...whatever).

As a precaution, though, I do ALWAYS drive 5mph to 10mph under the speed limit and always do a full car check and mirror check before I pull out of my driveway :)

you were at a club, and you weren't drinking?

what?

you were at a club, and you weren't drinking?

what?

I was 18 when I went and no, most definitely wasn't drinking. It wasn't exactly a club. It was more like a glorified smoke-filled hole in the wall.

Yeah, clearly it was a worthwhile experience overall. :thumbdown:

If you are going to say something like that, why don't you let us know exactly which schools asked about it and exactly what they asked. If you have valid information, then maybe you must be talking about super-conservative or super-religious schools. Otherwise, you might have confused something.

VCOM (DO) asks you to enumerate all traffic violations.

just because they ask you whether or not you have had traffic violations doesn't mean that schools care. as long as they can see that you don't have a record that implies a consistent lack of judgement, schools typically will not pay too much attention to tickets.

That's a non issue. I've gotten speeding tickets in every state I've driven in and nobody has ever questioned me about it except for my parents.

The funniest **** was when I got a speeding ticket in 3 states within 2 1/2 hours. I was leaving NYC, got a speeding ticket for doing 75 in a 50.

NJ, got a speeding ticket for 95 in a 65.

PA, got a speeding ticket for 85 in a 55.

That's a non issue. I've gotten speeding tickets in every state I've driven in and nobody has ever questioned me about it except for my parents.

The funniest **** was when I got a speeding ticket in 3 states within 2 1/2 hours. I was leaving NYC, got a speeding ticket for doing 75 in a 50.

NJ, got a speeding ticket for 95 in a 65.

PA, got a speeding ticket for 85 in a 55.

Man, slow learner! :laugh:

Actually, I bought a radar/laser detector once I got to my destination in Penn. I've only gotten one ticket since.

The laser warning went off like 2 seconds before I saw the cop, and I was going way too fast to slam the brakes, so I had to use engine braking to slow down. 83 in a 55 wasn't too bad of a ticket. Without the detector, it would have been like 119 in a 55.

Yeah, 64 over the speed limit would have been a tough pickle to get out off. Definitely would have impounded my car and suspended my license, thus losing my job as a pharmacy tech because there is no way for me to get to work without a car.

Actually, I bought a radar/laser detector once I got to my destination in Penn. I've only gotten one ticket since.

The laser warning went off like 2 seconds before I saw the cop, and I was going way too fast to slam the brakes, so I had to use engine braking to slow down. 83 in a 55 wasn't too bad of a ticket. Without the detector, it would have been like 119 in a 55.

Yeah, 64 over the speed limit would have been a tough pickle to get out off. Definitely would have impounded my car and suspended my license, thus losing my job as a pharmacy tech because there is no way for me to get to work without a car.

Not to mention going to jail... I was in court once where a woman was advised that she was facing 1 day in jail for every mph over 90. That'd have been a month for you in that court.

Laser detection usually is just good enough to tell you when you're going to be getting a ticket. I call it a "ticket detector." But for radar, my V1 has saved me many a time.

Another self-admitted slow learner. :)

I was 18 when I went and no, most definitely wasn't drinking. It wasn't exactly a club. It was more like a glorified smoke-filled hole in the wall.

Yeah, clearly it was a worthwhile experience overall. :thumbdown:

How did you get into the club if you were 18? And USUALLY to make those glorified smoke-filled hole's better, you drink. (just a bit of advice!)

And i really hope it doesnt affect your admisisons to med school! Man ive gotten 4 tickets (not counting parking tickets) and have lost my licence twice! Im currently without a licence this summer! So trust me, donnnnnt worry!

That is the problem with detectors. I want to know where I can buy jammers(disrupt police equipment) though but every electronics store I go to doesn't have them.

Before you do that, make sure you know that it is illegal in many states. If you are caught with a jammer in CA, that will probably be a misdemeanor. Do you think a cop is so stupid as to think you are only going at 65MPH when you are speeding by at 100MPH? You are allowed to use detectors in most states, but jammers are often illegal.

How did you get into the club if you were 18? And USUALLY to make those glorified smoke-filled hole's better, you drink. (just a bit of advice!)

And i really hope it doesnt affect your admisisons to med school! Man ive gotten 4 tickets (not counting parking tickets) and have lost my licence twice! Im currently without a licence this summer! So trust me, donnnnnt worry!

Some clubs let in over 18. Haven't you ever heard of them? They have them both in my hometown and my collegetown. I think these clubs exist in NYC, too, but I'm not sure. Usually they're pretty lame. This one was worse than lame. Not to bash on obese people but EVERY SINGLE PERSON in the place was obese and probably 45+. So, not quite what I was looking for in a clubbing experience. Talk about a BAD decision. :thumbdown:

Heh, ok, so clearly I should have been drinking while not wearing my seatbelt. But unfortunately, I didn't have a **** thing to take the edge off while the cop was writing me the ticket :( Ah well, at least I didn't get "underage drinking" at the same time. Another fun violation of the law!

I haven't had to answer a "yes" to any questions on the secondaries so far. So I guess I'm going to assume that it's not a problem unless directly asked.

Good grief.

It was a truly idiotic waste of time. I think I learned a valuable lesson about my priorities that night.

Before you do that, make sure you know that it is illegal in many states. If you are caught with a jammer in CA, that will probably be a misdemeanor. Do you think a cop is so stupid as to think you are only going at 65MPH when you are speeding by at 100MPH? You are allowed to use detectors in most states, but jammers are often illegal.

That detector thing sounds kind of useful...I rarely speed but I hate feeling like Big Brother is watching. You can buy them at Radio Shack? Or how do you get them?

Some clubs let in over 18. Haven't you ever heard of them? They have them both in my hometown and my collegetown. I think these clubs exist in NYC, too, but I'm not sure. Usually they're pretty lame. This one was worse than lame. Not to bash on obese people but EVERY SINGLE PERSON in the place was obese and probably 45+. So, not quite what I was looking for in a clubbing experience. Talk about a BAD decision. :thumbdown:

Heh, ok, so clearly I should have been drinking while not wearing my seatbelt. But unfortunately, I didn't have a **** thing to take the edge off while the cop was writing me the ticket :( Ah well, at least I didn't get "underage drinking" at the same time. Another fun violation of the law!

I haven't had to answer a "yes" to any questions on the secondaries so far. So I guess I'm going to assume that it's not a problem unless directly asked.

Good grief.

It was a truly idiotic waste of time. I think I learned a valuable lesson about my priorities that night.

Oh really? I never knew that! Haha im from Alberta (in canada) sooo the legal age here is 18 so i dont know much of down in the states. Haha Ive been hassled soo much when drunk, but usually nothing in a car and ive dont lots of illegal shaz (not drinkin/driving though! im good with that) And yeah im sure it wont be bad! You're fine!

That detector thing sounds kind of useful...I rarely speed but I hate feeling like Big Brother is watching. You can buy them at Radio Shack? Or how do you get them?

I got my detector at Circuit City.

Just make sure you research the detector well before you buy it. Some of them pick up garage door openers.

Mine has a bad habit of going off rapidly whenever I'm near a store. I think that the security thing that prevents shoplifting uses radio signals.

I know that radar jammers are illegal. It's a federal offense because:

1. You need a license to operate a radio transmitter. (Jammer works by sending out false transmissions.)

2. Jamming of any kind is illegal in the U.S.

Don't really care about it though.

I know that laser jammers are allowed though because lasers are not regulated by the FCC, but by the FDA. :laugh:

Anyone happen to know the process of getting a stupid little $52-dollar traffic violation removed from my record (happened in CA)? I wasn't wearing a seatbelt on a trip to a 'club' 2.5 miles from my university, hence the fine. There was no drinking, obviously. We were only pulled over because it was dark and the driver couldn't see the turn lane (I wasn't the driver -- just a passenger).

A friend told me that these things automatically disappeared from one's record after 3 years...but apparently not.:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:mad::mad: It'll be 5 years come January and apparently government agencies STILL see the violation.:mad::mad::mad:

I've never gotten any other sort of ticket or violation or academic problem in my entire life. This is freaking irritating.:mad:

:::rant:::

I realize that a medical school probably wouldn't deny or admit me based on this but it's still irritating as all ****. I don't want it to hurt my chances and I don't feel like explaining it.

I'm so mad I could :boom:. How can this stupid little non-issue STILL appear on my record after nearly 5 years????

PS. No need for the 'you got what you deserved' sermon or the 'seatbelts save lives' sermon. I always always always wear my seatbelt -- this was a minor mixup in the car arrangements and I paid the **** fine so save the moralizing **** for elsewhere.

/end rant.

Actually, we had a lecture and it was something like 250 people need to wear their seatbelts every single time they are in a car their entire life for one life to be saved... take that for what it's worth.

Disclaimer: I usually wear my seatbelt!