1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

california volunteers...where are they

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DR. EUGENIC, Jul 24, 2006.

1. DR. EUGENIC

DR. EUGENIC Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    just posting to see if there are california volunteers that know of places where you can shadow a doc or watch them perform actual surgeries.....near the BREA/la habra/whittier/anaheim area..

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DR. EUGENIC

DR. EUGENIC Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    bump

4. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'll answer just so you don't bump every 20 minutes....

The best way to line up shadowing is with a physician you have some contact with. The best way to make contact is to volunteer. All of my shadowing experiences have come from doctor's I've had interaction with in my volunteering. This has included surgeries.

Doctors have no obligation, professionally or ethically, to let any and all premeds tag along as they do their job, whether surgeons or otherwise. I've found that lots of physicians will say "no" to random folks who want to follow them, but "yes" to those that they've had some interaction with. By volunteering, you're identifying yourself as someone who really wants to be a doctor as opposed to a random premed with a passing fancy.

5. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'd contact local hospitals looking for volunteers and network from there. Nice thing about southern LA/northern orange county is that there are lots of volunteering gigs.

In my experience, clinics have had physicians the most open to shadowing. But this was after volunteering, not cold dialing.

6. nekrogg

5+ Year Member

have you tried the usc cmv program. its a bit far but hey you get to shadow doctors (as far as i know.. im scheduled for an interview)