Californians- Stanford or Harvard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GALLBLADDER

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Californians,
If you had a choice which would you choose - Stanford or Harvard? Why?

Members don't see this ad.

GALLBLADDER said:
Californians,

i would imagine that for the majority of the californians on this forum the better question is "harvard or ucsf".

GALLBLADDER said:
Californians,

Just the dilemma I fear might happen to me. :rolleyes:

As for you super-star Californians, why not UCSF or UCLA? In state tuition is very, very nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's all about UCSF beeeotch!!!

SeventhSon said:
i would imagine that for the majority of the californians on this forum the better question is "harvard or ucsf".

U're wrong pal, stanford way to go.. my one and only love.

GALLBLADDER said:
Californians,

Harvard... cuz it's Harvard

It depends on your goals and the type of curriculum you feel best suits you. Stanford offers nice weather and the first years are pass/fail (which is very nice), a very diverse class in terms of background, age etc, but living in Palo Alto is rather expensive. Harvard offers two curriculums HST or New Pathway, and it's Boston, so you will be in an area surrounded with intellectual activity from several from the schools in the area. But, just like Palo Alto, finding an apartment in Boston, which is affordable for a typical college graduate, is a bit unaffordable. Shop around some more. It really depends what you want out of your education, and curriculum methods that best suit your education needs. Both schools are in "le creme de la creme." If you are accepted to both, speak to the students, and ask the admissions office if you could speak to alumni. My $0.02. Good luck!

tacrum43 said:
Just the dilemma I fear might happen to me. :rolleyes:

As for you super-star Californians, why not UCSF or UCLA? In state tuition is very, very nice.

Yeah but the fees negate that nice tuition.

Stanford or UCSF both over Harvard. who would want to live in Boston, id have to kill myself if i had to spend 10 months a year for 4 years in Boston

riceman04 said:
Yeah but the fees negate that nice tuition.

Well, not really. Yes the UC's charge like $20,000 in "fees", but for in-staters that's still a good deal compared to $40,000 in tuition at some private and out-of-state public/semi-public schools.

Both are fantastic schools and have drastic differences between them. They are not all that similar so a question of "Harvard vs. Stanford" should be pretty easy to answer once you consider all the factors.

Messerschmitts.... what an interesting story you have!!! im sure otheres already know this-- but a 34 and 3.9, and no acceptances last year?

i gotta say, kudos to you for the persistence and hard work. :) and CONGRATULATIONS--you're going to be an M.D.!!!!

SeventhSon said:

I doubt the majority of Californians have the luxery of that dilema

Its like asking that 1:100 million person who won the lottery if they prefer the lump sum or spread out payments. Sure there is a difference but does it really matter?

haha.. Bernito- I completely agree. I think that people liek to live out their premed fantasies on their website and most people won't have to face this <awful> dillemma. i guess this website is completeyl skewed in its representation of premeds and most of the MD applicants out there.

dr.z said:
Stanford. Nicer weather out there.

DEFINITELY, Stanford. I had the option of going to HMS, but I chose Stanford, like many other of my classmates. Interestingly enough, the majority of the anal students who got into both, chose HMS, so I lucked out!!!! :laugh:

Also, the OTHER school in the Bay Area, is hella stressful from what I hear....and their financial aid sucks....and ours ROCKS!!!

ave debt ~70,000

peace,

ablumoon said:
Messerschmitts.... what an interesting story you have!!! im sure otheres already know this-- but a 34 and 3.9, and no acceptances last year?

i gotta say, kudos to you for the persistence and hard work. :) and CONGRATULATIONS--you're going to be an M.D.!!!!

Thanks! Well what can I say? "Every year we are forced to turn away thousands of highly qualified applicants..." I guess I just turned into a statistic. :p My other working theory is that I was jinxed by some bad juju...who made that hoodoo doll!? (Instead of sticking pins into my doll, someone stuck rejection letters into it). Nah, I'm just kidding, my ECs were weak. Also not good enough at "selling myself", I'm just not one of those aggressive, high-powered interviewees.

But in relation to this thread, if UCSF were not an option, I guess HMS > Stanford. I mean c'mon, it's friggin' HMS! Harvard doesn't train doctors; it trains the next generation of the country's top-eschelon leaders. It's not an opportunity I would miss out on...unless I got into UCSF. :p But what am I talking about, and what do I care? I didn't even apply to any 3 of these schools this time around!