Californiate Residents: Good/Realistic out of state schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the cali residents out there, what are the medium-range out-of-state schools that you're applying to? Not necessarily any of the Top notch schools, but more like "average" schools w/ "average gpas and mcats" that one could realistically apply to and get in. I know some schools rarely accept non-state students. which outta state schools would accept cali students?

Members don't see this ad.

What you need to do is look in the book published by the same company (I have blocked their name out of my memory now that I will never have to put up with them again) that does the primary application and it lists the # of out of state residents that a school accepts in a year. Go through the book and find the schools that accept a decent percentage of their class from out of state. But with a few exceptions you will be applying to allot of private schools.

Schools that I can think of
New York Med ~30% of each class CA residents
Albany Same as New York Med
Vermount

As the poster above said.... my alma mater, NY Medical College, is known to accept a lot of Californians like myself. I think my class had 40% californians. A long running joke in the school is that New York Med is also known as UC Valhalla.

Other private universities that do well in taking californians include: GW University; St. Louis University; and Medical College of Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad :)
Add MCP-HU to that list.

From what I have heard, lots of Cali residents in:
U Texas schools
U Michigan (pretty competitive for anyone though)
Michigan State

•••quote:•••Originally posted by LR6SO4:
•From what I have heard, lots of Cali residents in:
U Texas schools
Michigan State•••••Definitely not Michigan State. They definitely give preference to in-state people. I got rejected from them with great stats. But, I did get into U of Mich. I beleive that there are a lot of californians at some of the Chicago schools like Finch and Rush. So, those are definitely good places to think about.

Good luck,

Adam

actually rush is overwhemingly in-state too. they interview few out of state applicants, even though they get a helluva lot of out of state applications, and aim to keep the in-state proportion about 85%, which is nearly as high as the university of illinois at 90%. so that's definitely not a good choice either. finch has a lot of california students, though. i'd say loyola is a better option than rush is because they only aim for a 50% in-state proportion, still not great but certainly better odds for you than competing for one of the 15% at rush.

Everything in sight (worked for me!) :D

•••quote:•••Originally posted by LR6SO4:
•From what I have heard, lots of Cali residents in:
U Texas schools
Michigan State•••••The U Texas system is mandated by state law to accept a maximum of 10% nonresidents of Texas.

so even if all 10% of the out of staters are Californians, (which is definitely NOT the case) then its still not really a magnet for Cali people.

I'd say that the UT schools are comprised of a maximum of 2-3% cali residents.

Now, if you are talking about Texas residents who went to Cali for college but are still officially texas residents, thats a different story. I'm talking only about the Californians who do NOT have Texas residency.

Hey-
I'm applying to med schools next year and I'm a CA resident too. So I had a hard time chooseing mid-range out-of-state schools that i'm applying too. The ones below that I've choose have a significant percentage of out-of-staters, and CA residents are usually a good part of that.

NYU
Northwestern
Tufts
Yeshiva
Mount Sinai

Hope that helps!

Definitely MCW...when I was there, I met a lot of students from california...especially the UC's. Same with NYMC

Also, you can't only depend on numbers alone. You should definitely check out which schools seem to "like" California residents. Your school's career center might have information about which schools people from your school end up at. For example, at my school, they collect the statistics about where their students go (and into which programs) so you could see which schools accept a lot of students into their programs. Hope this helps =)

Thanks everyone for your replies! Do you think there are any medical schools that would be good "back-up" schools? i.e. if you have average stats, you'd want to apply to some schools w/ "below-average" stats so you'd have some place to go to if your record turned out to be a bit less good than you thought. i know that some programs such as drew/ucla are impossible for the average person to get in.

The Medical College of Virginia accepts a pretty large percentage of out of state residents. (For a non-private school) Check them out.

U of Iowa accepts 30% of their class out of state, firm.

U of Minnesota Minneapolis is changing. last year they accepted 46 out-of-staters, nearly 30% of the class. This is a large increase from the approx. 20 out-of-state seats they used to offer.

Further, both these schools are good, and don't get nearly as many applicants as the popular out-of-state applicant schools like NW or MCW. Both are cold weather-wise, but check 'em out!

Lets add Ohio State and Cincinnati. At my interview at Cincinnati, their director of admissions said that these Ohio schools have just recently (this year?) been given permission to accept a larger number from of out of state. This is because applicants from OH have declined by 30% in the last 5 years.

Hey, I am from Ohio and I know the state law here. It states that 80% of the TOTAL student body has to be from Ohio and it does not count the students who were out of state when they started who are now residents. So one year, a down year in apps for Ohio residents, so they take a few more out of staters, the next year they have to compensate for that discrepancy. 80% is the law!

Albany, SLU and Chicago Med's stats aren't as high as other schools...

I would also add Tulane...

Personally, I wouldn't recommend applying to the U of Texas system unless you have strong ties to Texas or really want to practice in Texas eventually. They don't have a lot of spots for out-of-state students (with the possible exception of UTSW), so your money would probably be better spent elsewhere.

I will now list the 15 out of state schools I applied to. I'm a FL resident, btw, and don't have very competitive stats, so I applied to schools that are known to take a lot of out-of-staters:

GWU, Finch/CMS, BU, Tufts, Albany, Sinai, NYMC, Jefferson, MCPHU, Penn State, Temple, Vermont, Tulane, Einstein, and Rochester.