Call a pharmacist "Dr. (last name"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
imperial frog said:
I'm planning on taking Bubble Wrap Dynamics 101 as an elective next year.

How many credits is it worth? It's great fun. You just have to buy the right shoes for it.

Members don't see this ad.

Sosumi said:
How many credits is it worth? It's great fun. You just have to buy the right shoes for it.

Only 2. But you have to write a paper and give a presentation on it.

Sosumi said:

That's how all the fun classes get you - extra lab fees and equipment!

imperial frog said:
Only 2. But you have to write a paper and give a presentation on it.

I should be pretty prepared then. Yesterday at work we did our own group presentation - three of us found a large pack of bubble wrap and stomped it into submission. I wonder if they give extra points for technique?

Members don't see this ad :)
technique should be include in the procedure section of the report.

buddyluv said:
I know a Pharmacist that has his credentials on his check.
It goes like this

Dr. John Doe Pharm.D
123 Any Town
City State.

So this guy for whatever reason visited the Pharmacy I work to pick up a prescription (why he did not fill it where he works beats my mind--cos he works in retail too).

Anyway, when I was calling him to ring him up, I called over the microphone Mr. John Doe your prescription is ready for pick up. He walks up to the pharmacy and he goes --it is DR. JOHN DOE. I'm like excuse me, he repeats My name is (emphasis -DR. JOHN DOE. I am a Pharm.D if you must know) I'm like OK. Then he hand me his check for payment and Bingo Pharm.D is printed very bold .....

So you see calling some of them Dr. errrrr means a lot.

Usually, I've only seen the Dr. XXXX, MD or Dr. XXXXX, PhD (or whatever flavour of doctorate) with chiropractors and minorities (in the US). For some unknown reason, Hispanics and African-Americans seem to like having both the Dr. in front of their name and the degree after their name. I'm not being racist, either, but just making an observation.

ProZackMI said:
Usually, I've only seen the Dr. XXXX, MD or Dr. XXXXX, PhD (or whatever flavour of doctorate) with chiropractors and minorities (in the US). For some unknown reason, Hispanics and African-Americans seem to like having both the Dr. in front of their name and the degree after their name. I'm not being racist, either, but just making an observation.

I've never seen Dr. XYZ, MD. I always see Joe Blow, MD. To have the Dr in front and the MD behind seems dumb to me.

highlyfavored said:
I've never seen Dr. XYZ, MD. I always see Joe Blow, MD. To have the Dr in front and the MD behind seems dumb to me.

And unless it's a business check, the need to have Dr. on a check is even more dumb.

Eh...checks and mail seems to be the only place where regularly using Dr. would be acceptable for a PharmD.

imperial frog said:
And unless it's a business check, the need to have Dr. on a check is even more dumb.

I second that!

BME103 said:
That sounds really nice but seriously, do you have time to do all of those things? You may not know this, but pharmacists still spend the vast majority of their time dispensing. That is a fact. Even pharmacists that work in the hospital. It is not because pharmacists only want to dispense but they really don't have a choose. Also, most of the jobs are still in the retails. That is another fact.

I've been on rotations for 8 weeks now, in two different hospitals. Plus, I did my 2nd year practicum rotation in a hospital pharmacy and shadowed at yet another 2 hospital pharmacies. This adds up to five separate hospitals. I have yet to see a clinical pharmacist dispense anything. Where did you get your "facts"? What hospital pharmacy do you work at?

dgroulx said:
I've been on rotations for 8 weeks now, in two different hospitals. Plus, I did my 2nd year practicum rotation in a hospital pharmacy and shadowed at yet another 2 hospital pharmacies. This adds up to five separate hospitals. I have yet to see a clinical pharmacist dispense anything. Where did you get your "facts"? What hospital pharmacy do you work at?

If you have read my post carefully, I did not specifically say "clinical" pharmacists because they only represent a small number of hospital pharmacists that mainly work in teaching hospitals like the ones you did your rotation. Lets not use a small sample to represent the profession.

ProZackMI said:
If youre talking about an educator then yeah ive seen that before, although I havent seen that yet in the medical profession. However, I HAVE seen patients walk up to MD's, etc who happen to be Black, and presume that they were everything BUT who they were. One lady almost had a coneption in front of us. The MD might as well had an eye in the middle of his forehead and she wouldnt have acted as shocked....So it could be an overcompensation in an attempt to get people to acknowledge their education level.

BME103 said:
If you have read my post carefully, I did not specifically say "clinical" pharmacists because they only represent a small number of hospital pharmacists that mainly work in teaching hospitals like the ones you did your rotation. Lets not use a small sample to represent the profession.

My current rotation is not a teaching hospital, they have some UF alumni pharmacists who take students on rotation. The same was true at my last rotation. There are no med students there and no grand rounds with students. They have 4 full time clinical pharmacists full time and are planning on hiring another one. There were about 8 staff pharmacists who did order entry/checking orders that techs pulled and one who did research projects. So, I guess it's under 50% clinical. The point is that there are clinical jobs out there for people who want them. My education at UF was geared towards clinical pharmacy and if I choose to use it that way I can. I don't have to do retail or staff pharmacy and I don't have to leave the area to find a clinical job.

Members don't see this ad :)
highlyfavored said:

That's a Department of Redundancy Department phrase right there...

I was psyched to hell and back about my CPhT title, I'm going to flaunt my Pharm D/R.Ph even more. I earned that sh1t, I'll use it however I want.

highlyfavored said:

It is redundant, but I kind of like that it tells you what kind of doctor they are. I mean, I could have a doctorate in medieval art and put Dr. in front of my name. Maybe if the little white coats said Dr. YOURNAMEHERE Rph some of the retail customers would see that pharmacy is not a 2 year degree.

We need to stop using doctor as a colloquialism for physician. Maybe we can campaign to call them Phyzs or something. ;)

DownonthePharm said:
It is redundant, but I kind of like that it tells you what kind of doctor they are. I mean, I could have a doctorate in medieval art and put Dr. in front of my name. Maybe if the little white coats said Dr. YOURNAMEHERE Rph some of the retail customers would see that pharmacy is not a 2 year degree.

We need to stop using doctor as a colloquialism for physician. Maybe we can campaign to call them Phyzs or something. ;)

I think that's a good idea to put that on the lab coat.

All the MDs I see put their area under their names on their lab coats.

Micheal Jordan, MD
Oncology

So, which looks better:
Micheal Jordan, PharmD
or
Dr. Micheal Jordan
Pharmacy

I like the first one.

I think its hilarious how every forum in SDN has a thread about "who's a doctor" or "who's a physician?" I realize this is a pre-pharmacy forum but even when I was pre-med I don't remember being so consumed with these titles. In the long run its not these "titles" that earn respect, its what you do with them to benefit the welfare of your patients that earns you respect. just my 2 cents... peace

highlyfavored said:
I think that's a good idea to put that on the lab coat.

All the MDs I see put their area under their names on their lab coats.

Micheal Jordan, MD
Oncology

So, which looks better:
Micheal Jordan, PharmD
or
Dr. Micheal Jordan
Pharmacy

I like the first one.

Naaa, I like Michael Jordan
Basketball frickin Genius

manik said:
I think its hilarious how every forum in SDN has a thread about "who's a doctor" or "who's a physician?" I realize this is a pre-pharmacy forum but even when I was pre-med I don't remember being so consumed with these titles. In the long run its not these "titles" that earn respect, its what you do with them to benefit the welfare of your patients that earns you respect. just my 2 cents... peace

You probably weren't consumed because as a physician you don't have to wonder if your pts will call you Dr. or by your first name. I agree with you about these titles not earning you respect, though.

BME103 said:
^^You are talking about the 1-2% of the profession.

Please cite your source.

When you consider all of the settings in which pharmacists work, including consulting, VA, home health, home infusion, academic/teaching centers, academia, clinical staff in hospitals, etc, etc - these are all clinical/non-dispensing jobs. I'm certain that they comprise more than 2% of the profession.

Again, I'd like to see your source. Please don't bother if it's based on your observations/opinions only. Don't take this the wrong way, but based on your posts lately it just seems like you are trying to stir things up.

All4MyDaughter said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but based on your posts lately it just seems like you are trying to stir things up.

I am glad I wasn't the only one getting that impression.

All4MyDaughter said:
No, I think it's more than just the two of us!

Word :thumbup:

Plus, this thread is tiring...I don't think titles are important as long as you earn people's respect and you love your job. Oh, I just saw manik's post above. Totally agree with you.

I agree. Although clinical pharmacists make up a larger proportion of PharmDs out there, I don't think what you do with your degree should determine the respect/title you get. A PharmD who works in retail, dispensing and educating patients (working directly with patients, which is what I want to do in a retail pharmacy) and pharmacists in a hospital/pharmaceutical setting are both using their degree to different degrees...Although they are very different (and have different feelings of a 'rewarding profession'), we have the same education and the same drive to help our patients and better patient care in general. Can't all the doctors :))) in the house just get along?

Mongoos150 said:
I agree. Although clinical pharmacists make up a larger proportion of PharmDs out there, I don't think what you do with your degree should determine the respect/title you get. A PharmD who works in retail, dispensing and educating patients (working directly with patients, which is what I want to do in a retail pharmacy) and pharmacists in a hospital/pharmaceutical setting are both using their degree to different degrees...Although they are very different (and have different feelings of a 'rewarding profession'), we have the same education and the same drive to help our patients and better patient care in general. Can't all the doctors :))) in the house just get along?

I don't know if you are referring specifically to what I posted or not, but I'm in no way devaluing the work of a retail pharmacist. They are very important, very visible, very accessible, and in my opinion, very well-regarded healthcare professionals.

I was just asking the other person to back up his claim that 98% of pharmacists "only" dispense. I'm still waiting.

I don't think that many people besides of health-care professionals or students actually know what a PharmD is. Kinda sounds like a 6-month certificate to me. I know that many of my relatives seem to think I will be getting on-the-job training at Walmart University. Although everyone recognizes the term "doctor", you don't want to have to explain that you're not that kind of doctor. And since my last name begins with a 'D', calling me doctor would make me sound like a cartoon, a B-movie, or a rapper.

Hopefully, PharmD's will generate a good reputation in the coming decade, and patients will take it upon themselves to call them doctors because they are so much more knowledgeable about drug mechanisms than their physicians. Who knows, maybe medical doctors will even realize one day that Ph.D.'s were the first doctors, and that the stipulation of referring to MDs as the only "doctor" is just as silly as saying that only hockey players are "real athletes". :laugh:

OP:
Yes, I do think Pharmacists along with Medical Doctors, Dentists, Optometrists etc.. should be called "Doctor" _____. I posted this link in another thread but I think it may answer your question:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=278649

MD/ODs, DDS/DMDs, PharmDs, etc... are the same in the respect that they have earned their "First" degree in their field. So if MD's are called "Doctors", why shouldn't Pharmacists?