Call as Outpatient Psychiatrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbpiano1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard residents say that outpatient psych involves NO call. How does this work? I thought that psychiatrists would have to take call in order to get admitting privileges at hospitals......otherwise, wouldn't internists also not take call?

Naive,

bb

Members don't see this ad.

As far as admitting privileges, many psychiatrist who do outpatient work never actually take care of patients in the hospital. This is often handled by psychiatrists who specialize in inpatient psychiatry, who are the ones who do admissions overnight, etc. Outpatient psychiatrists take a different sort of call, which is when outpatients are in crisis or need a refill for their Klonopin or whatever and need to call someone at 3 am to deal with this.

As far as admitting privileges, many psychiatrist who do outpatient work never actually take care of patients in the hospital. This is often handled by psychiatrists who specialize in inpatient psychiatry, who are the ones who do admissions overnight, etc. Outpatient psychiatrists take a different sort of call, which is when outpatients are in crisis or need a refill for their Klonopin or whatever and need to call someone at 3 am to deal with this.

Since no doctor can be on call 24/7, aren't there "call pools" that can cover emergencies when the outpt doc is out of town or out of range from their pager?

Members don't see this ad :)
some psychiatric jobs at community mental health centers do not involve call.

Some private practice outpt psychiatrists don't take call, they tell their patients to go to the ER if they are having an emergency.

Ahh the joys of a large group practice!

(25-30 docs, 2 on call at a time for phone backup and weekend rounding, about 4 times a year. I personally think that private practice is WAY overrated...)

Ahh the joys of a large group practice!

(25-30 docs, 2 on call at a time for phone backup and weekend rounding, about 4 times a year. I personally think that private practice is WAY overrated...)

Are there ways to get into a call pool like this and still be in solo practice?