CALL FOR ACTION: MOUNT SINAI ADMIN OFFICE NEEDS HELP

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by solomarc8, Mar 13, 2002.

1. solomarc8

solomarc8 Junior Member

I am beyond frustrated with Mount Sinai's dilly-dallying. Having interviewed in November, I think it's reasonable to expect some response within a few months (they claim to be rolling). Well, now it's march and i still haven't heard a peep.

What's even worse is that their secretaries act annoyed when I call to check on my status. They're rude, succinct, and always ask "Ok?" in a patronizing way to get me off the phone. Furthermore, they assign each person's file to one secretary, so when someone is out of town or out to lunch, you have to call them back.

And then once you reach them, what do they say? Nothing. No decision. No information about an upcoming decision. There's no top-down communication. What purpose do secretaries serve, if not to answer questions pertinent to applicants' files?

Did anyone else notice that it's impossible to speak with someone at mount sinai who knows anything? There's no director of admissions, and dr. kayne won't take phone calls.

Anyone else as perturbed as I am?

completely unrelated: sick news story on the front page of the NYTimes about bad care at Mount Sinai hospital after a live liver transplant, which led to a patient death.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member

solomarc8--

Yeah, I have run into exactly the same thing. I interviewed all the way back in EARLY OCTOBER and haven't heard a peep from them. I get the 'ol run-around every time I call the office...still no decision on my app.

I SO hope I get into Penn this week so I can axe Sinai before they get to me. :)

Good luck all--perhaps their admissions office is reflective of the hospitals problems (Sinai, for those who don't know, is in MAJOR financial trouble and is firing people left and right).

4. TommyGunn04

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm also waiting to hear something from Sinai. I interviewed in early November, and haven't heard a peep from them. I sent them an e-mail inquiring about my status, and never even received a reply! It's really quite ridiculous!

5. Resident Alien

I havent been interviewed there yet, and they wont tell me shi*. And the attitude from the office, you're right about that.

6. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats

Has anyone seen the offices they work in?

ok..well it's not the most "organized" office. At least Sinai is CONSISTENT with not knowing anything. They just don't want to get your hopes up. unlike this penn dilleo, every day is supposed to be "THE DAY"....

Just relax peeps..at least they are being truthful when they say they don't know what is going on :)

7. Blazed

Blazed Senior Member

You are so right about Sinai. Their Admissions staff seem to be filled with the most rude, and incompetent people. They need to get their act together.

8. dr. momo

dr. momo Member

they do seem pretty clueless...one of my friends never got an acceptance letter, but got a packet with all these forms to fill out, like drug testing stuff, etc. she kept saying, "hmmm, i guess i got in..."

9. jase133

jase133 Senior Member

This is nuts. Before I interviewed there, I've heard nothing but good things about this school on SDN. Now everything seems to point in the opposite direction. What's happening?

10. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats

Sinai is the bomb...simple...

They are partially rolling...kinda like how Cornell is rolling. No news isn't Great news..but it could still be good news...so chill :)

11. Harvard.edu

Harvard.edu Junior Member

wewwww. i'm so glad i read this site cuz i am also going crazy with sinai. it's nice to know i'm not the only one who int. there early oct.
    my friend got into the MD/Ph.D program but I guess they hear earlier.
    Also question:
    I know Mt.Sinai ranks pretty good now (23?), but do you think thier financial problems will bring them down? :rolleyes: