Call room/meal tickets for externs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piko00

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which programs let you stay in the call room for externship period. I heard of some that offer meal tickets, etc. but don't remember which ones exactly. Finances kind of tight here.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You can stay in the call room at Parkland, but sometimes it gets crowded if there's more than 1 extern. There are other med student call rooms next door where I have stored an extern for a night. Externs don't get meal tickets, but often the residents will use theirs for you. Breakfast is about the only meal that we use the meal cards for, though.

You can stay in the call room at LSU-Shreve...plenty of room...as for meals, sometimes you'll get thrown a bone...we do have a fridge in the call room that you can put stuff in...

Members don't see this ad :)
Which programs let you stay in the call room for externship period. I heard of some that offer meal tickets, etc. but don't remember which ones exactly. Finances kind of tight here.
Thanks.

At Carle they have a call room with a computer, TV, and you get all the meal tickets you want. There usually isn't a single cost once you arrive. I've heard that New Orleans also had some expense saving measures.... after Katrina I think they have a row boat tied to the back dock of the hospital that they let externs sleep in.....bring your own pillow and fishing pole though :)

We have all kinds of call rooms at Houston externs can stay in. You don't get meal tickets, but some of the residents will kick down.

Brand new call rooms at LSU NO, small, but new. As far as meal tickets goes, often we would help out our externs for breakfast and/or lunch, but dinner you're on your own.

Shoot, when I externed (almost 5 months worth), I didn't bank on free room or board! Bring money and motivation when you extern.

Brand new call rooms at LSU NO, small, but new. As far as meal tickets goes, often we would help out our externs for breakfast and/or lunch, but dinner you're on your own.

Shoot, when I externed (almost 5 months worth), I didn't bank on free room or board! Bring money and motivation when you extern.

and "kentucky" jelly.

Don't ask [piko00], don't tell! What happens in the call room, stays in the call room...

So as far as landing externships do you just contact the program director and ask for an application/information? I've looked at various schools websites and they don't seem to have much information regarding externships.

I'm thinking of emory or parkland or LSU over christmas break (I would be a 3rd year by then) and then one more during summer between 3rd and 4th year.

DrTacoElf, I'd contact the secretary, whether their website has info on externing or not. She/he should be able to tell you what needs to be done next.

I'm thinking of emory or parkland or LSU over christmas break (I would be a 3rd year by then) and then one more during summer between 3rd and 4th year.

Which LSU? There are 2 you know, Shreveport and New Orleans. Which one is better is a story for another time, but generally where you go should depend on what you want to see/do.