Call Schedules at each program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsp

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi- I wanted to start a thread so that when people interview at a program, they can post the call schedules so everyone else will know. For instance I heard that UPenn is q4 on the floors and q3 in the MICU. That q3 is pretty tough, especially. Anyone else want to post? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Three hospital program all overnight call:
Moffitt: q4 o/n no unit months as the units are open. q4 o/n ccu x1 month, Liver Transplant Unit little overnight call
SFGH: Q6 o/n with short call q6 staggered two days before long call. admit till 4/team or 1pm on short. Cardiology Q3 o/n X1month, ICU Q3X 2wks
VA: q5 I believe now.

In general the categorical interns will have 1month ed, 1-2 months cards, 1month elective, 1 month ambulatory with no call and weekends off and two weeks ICU and the rest being floor months and vacation. Vacation is 3 one week blocks, one week around the holidays via holiday schedule and around a week maybe more for intern week. around 5+ weeks total. Some people will have a month on the liver transplant unit and people might spend time in the VA ICU but I'm not sure. For the primary care tracks I think you have an additional ambulatory block but I am not sure where it comes from. these specifics can be answered on interview days.

for r2 and r3 year I believe it works out to be about two months in-patient and two-months out patient alternating. to be honest I know most about the interns schedule. Of note, as it now stands r2/r3 year when your team is on call, you are in the hospital for the duration of your call as in you stay overnight and will see or at least hear about every admission.

I would just add one final comment. We have a more traditional overnight call system still in place at UCSF and I think it has advantages and disadvantages. I would caution people to carefully ask around on interviews at ALL of your programs about work hours and call. I know people in other highly reputed programs that have moved away from overnight call and for example you are supposed to stop admitting your 7 patients for the day and get out of the hospital by 10pm. This can be challenging especially when your admission caps are high, the patients are sick and people end up staying late into the night only to have to return to work a full day several hours later. I know that one BIG name program that has this system was considering adding back overnight call to some rotations if they haven't already and at our program the housestaff didn't really support moving away from overnight call as we thought we would end up spending more time in the hospital. Similarly, some programs where every day you are admitting means continual late days and problems with disposition. Of course, overnight call is no cake walk. I know that when I was interviewing the idea of no overnight call seemed amazing but just realize that there is no perfect system otherwise every fancy program in the country would adopt it.