1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Call Stipend

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by igap, Aug 18, 2011.

1. igap

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am in a practice where I am required to take a certain number of days per month of ER call. I am paid 1500 dollars per night by the hospital for call coverage, and I was wondering if this is a common thing to get paid to take call. I still get to bill for everything that I do while on call..

I am wondering what other folks' arrangements with hospitals are vis a vis call stipends. How much are you guys getting to take call? How many days does your hospital require you to take call?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Fah-Q

Fah-Q Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I get $750 per night but it's just ENT call and nothing ever happens. I take as much call as they will give me.

4. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    One of our vascular surgeons was just saying that $1000/night is the going rate for paid call. They're usually not too busy at night, but cold legs aren't infrequent.

5. ESU_MD

ESU_MD Old School
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    1000-1500 is reasonable to carry the pager, if you get called into do a job or round then that can be extra hourly rate, usually ~100-150. Vs billing and eating what you kill. This is more common for a classic locums vs call coverage for your primary facility

6. ESU_MD

ESU_MD Old School
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not a bad deal. I seem to remember hearing about a place where the er guys would call in the ENT to close complex facial wounds. How common is that? If i recall it was a philly program?

7. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Rhinestone Cowboy
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In Plastics it's becoming more common to get a call stipend, especially for Hand. I've seen rates from $1000 to $1500.

8. WentForitandWon

WentForitandWon Hand surgeon
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The Plastic surgery attendings at my program take ER and floor consult call for a week at a time and get $5000/wk. They can't bill for the face lacs that the residents repair unless they are present for them (which they never are).

Hand call is a seperate call pool split with ortho and plastics hand.

We also have an occasional face call that is different from the general plastics call (if not a PRS attedning, it is one of the OMFS guys taking facial fracture/lac call).

a complicated system but it seems to workout

--WFIAW

9. blue2000

blue2000 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I get 1000/24 hours for general surgery call in a rural 25 bed hospital. We do about a week at a time. The last week I was on call wasn't too busy -- did about six cases over the seven days. I bill what I do as well as the stipend for call. We have locums cover our call as well, I believe they get 1650/call but that's straight payment without getting more money for anything they do.

10. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I heard a rumor that our neurosurgery dept gets several million dollars a year for call coverage for trauma/ED/consults.

11. Fah-Q

Fah-Q Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Probably true. The trauma surgeons at my level II community hospital get several million dollars per year to cover trauma.

To ESUMD, I rarely get called in for a facial laceration in private practice. I'd like to get those consults more often as they are easy and pay fairly well.