Call Stipend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

igap

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a practice where I am required to take a certain number of days per month of ER call. I am paid 1500 dollars per night by the hospital for call coverage, and I was wondering if this is a common thing to get paid to take call. I still get to bill for everything that I do while on call..

I am wondering what other folks' arrangements with hospitals are vis a vis call stipends. How much are you guys getting to take call? How many days does your hospital require you to take call?

Members don't see this ad.

I get $750 per night but it's just ENT call and nothing ever happens. I take as much call as they will give me.

One of our vascular surgeons was just saying that $1000/night is the going rate for paid call. They're usually not too busy at night, but cold legs aren't infrequent.

Members don't see this ad :)
1000-1500 is reasonable to carry the pager, if you get called into do a job or round then that can be extra hourly rate, usually ~100-150. Vs billing and eating what you kill. This is more common for a classic locums vs call coverage for your primary facility

I get $750 per night but it's just ENT call and nothing ever happens. I take as much call as they will give me.

Not a bad deal. I seem to remember hearing about a place where the er guys would call in the ENT to close complex facial wounds. How common is that? If i recall it was a philly program?

In Plastics it's becoming more common to get a call stipend, especially for Hand. I've seen rates from $1000 to $1500.

The Plastic surgery attendings at my program take ER and floor consult call for a week at a time and get $5000/wk. They can't bill for the face lacs that the residents repair unless they are present for them (which they never are).

Hand call is a seperate call pool split with ortho and plastics hand.

We also have an occasional face call that is different from the general plastics call (if not a PRS attedning, it is one of the OMFS guys taking facial fracture/lac call).

a complicated system but it seems to workout

--WFIAW

I get 1000/24 hours for general surgery call in a rural 25 bed hospital. We do about a week at a time. The last week I was on call wasn't too busy -- did about six cases over the seven days. I bill what I do as well as the stipend for call. We have locums cover our call as well, I believe they get 1650/call but that's straight payment without getting more money for anything they do.

I heard a rumor that our neurosurgery dept gets several million dollars a year for call coverage for trauma/ED/consults.

I heard a rumor that our neurosurgery dept gets several million dollars a year for call coverage for trauma/ED/consults.

Probably true. The trauma surgeons at my level II community hospital get several million dollars per year to cover trauma.

To ESUMD, I rarely get called in for a facial laceration in private practice. I'd like to get those consults more often as they are easy and pay fairly well.