Call the dean b/f final decisions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Donkey

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone considered calling the Dean of Admissions (or equivalent) to blubber about how much you like their school and, better yet, about some circumstance that makes it especially appealing before final decisions on acceptances are made in March (for non-rolling schools)?

I think this would be a little namby-pamby and annoying, but what do you fine young overachievers think about calling and sending your love?

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Donkey said:
Has anyone considered calling the Dean of Admissions (or equivalent) to blubber about how much you like their school and, better yet, about some circumstance that makes it especially appealing before final decisions on acceptances are made in March (for non-rolling schools)?

I think this would be a little namby-pamby and annoying, but what do you fine young overachievers think about calling and sending your love?

I haven't been brave enough to call, but for the two schools I'm torn between (if I'm admitted, that is ;) ), I basically wrote said blubber in an eloquent letter addressed to the Dean. I sent one out last week; will send the other this week. At this point, it's all about strategy!

I'm not calling either. But i was bold enough to tell my interviewers that I will enroll if accepted. Then I wrote a letter addressed to the admissions committee, PDF the files, and e-mail them to the admissions office. (Not taking chances with snail mail.)

In other news, I just found out I was WL at NYU the other day. It's too bad because I really like the school, but the interviewer apparently thought that I was going to attend another school in the same tier in NYC. (That was his first question to me :( ). Although I don't know how hard I will pursue the NYU waitlist, I'm curious what I should say in such hypothetical WL letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I wrote a letter too. It's definitely a safer option, as a call could go downhill very fast if the recipient is in a bad mood or if you're at a loss for words. Guess, I won't get making that call, which means I got my a$$-kissing lips all chapsticked up for nothing.

I've heard of people calling after being waitlisted at non-rolling schools, but I think calling before the decision would be overkill.....

would yall send a letter of intent even if you have no new updates to include? I def think calling the dean before a decision is made could be seen as too pushy.

calling before would do nothing and may be seen as inappropriate.

I would send the letter of intent since that seems to be one thing some schools encourage and are receptive to.

samboo said:
would yall send a letter of intent even if you have no new updates to include? I def think calling the dean before a decision is made could be seen as too pushy.