Calling Admissions Offices - Mean Encounters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doko

holla atcha boy!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you guys been calling Admissions Offices and encountering really, really mean people that are completely NOT helpful AT ALL?!

Yes, I do understand that they get hundreds of calls, but that doesn't mean you have to be a $*(#)@#@U$ about it on the phone.

The Dartmouth people were REALLY nice. I think it says a lot about a school when you have nice secretaries.

Al Einstein = MEAN secretaries!

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, i've spoken to some smartasses. kind of annoying, but in the end, i'm not the one getting fatter and fatter by munching on twinkies at a desk all day, so it all evens out :cool:

I'm afraid to call UCI anymore, I'm convinced they already hate me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wake Forest is the only school I've called so far... They seemed nice enough. I'm tempted to call Einstein but I think I'll restrain myself for now. They clearly have issues--taking an awful long time to process things.

Overeducated said:
Wake Forest is the only school I've called so far... They seemed nice enough. I'm tempted to call Einstein but I think I'll restrain myself for now. They clearly have issues--taking an awful long time to process things.

I applied to 21 schools. Wake Forest was by far the best experience I had. UCI was probably the worst, Angie, that's pretty much how I felt, like they already knew I was scum. Penn State was pretty bad too.

Overeducated said:

Btw I hope you get an interview at Wake, CSU buddy

haha by now VCU must have me on the idiot list, I called them like about 8 or so times by now :D They were all valid calls, either they think that I am really stupid or really paranoid :rolleyes:

Medikit said:
Btw I hope you get an interview at Wake, CSU buddy
sign0092.gif

it seems like the people at Case don't even know that they are working in admissions for a medical school...."ahhhhh let me transfer you to someone else who will give you a vague answer, leaving you more confused than when you first called."

angietron3000 said:
I'm afraid to call UCI anymore, I'm convinced they already hate me!
UCI treated me way like **** in an email correspondence.

An obvious template/stock response type reply to a very specific question. It was clear they didn't even read the email, like maybe they read the subject only.

Then when I wrote them back explaining that I thought maybe I wasn't clear (bfns) the first time, I hope maybe I can clear it up by saying xyz. I get a reply from somebody who says like this thing like "maybe WE weren't clear, on xyzdate we sent you THIS reply" and pasted in was a copy of the stock letter from before.

*sigh* So not gonna fill out their secondary.

I think Erika at Emory was the nicest secretary I met on the application trail.

I went into the USUHS office, chatted with Michelle and Nashieka, then got a chance to talk to Joan Stearman, the director. There can't be a nicer admissions office. I have been super impressed.

I should be quiet now and not convince anyone to compete with me :laugh:

Doko said:
I think it says a lot about a school when you have nice secretaries.

I think it says nothing at all, but if it means one less competitor for me, then I agree with you! You shouldn't bother applying to schools with mean secretaries :)

Indryd said:
UCI treated me way like **** in an email correspondence.

An obvious template/stock response type reply to a very specific question. It was clear they didn't even read the email, like maybe they read the subject only.

Then when I wrote them back explaining that I thought maybe I wasn't clear (bfns) the first time, I hope maybe I can clear it up by saying xyz. I get a reply from somebody who says like this thing like "maybe WE weren't clear, on xyzdate we sent you THIS reply" and pasted in was a copy of the stock letter from before.

*sigh* So not gonna fill out their secondary.

you should write to them and say this. if they realized you were no longer applying there because of this, they might try to be a bit nicer in the future.

Rogue_Leader said:
I think Erika at Emory was the nicest secretary I met on the application trail.
I dropped off my app at Emory in person - since i am there for the summer - and I met the people at the admissions office... They ARE super nice.

anystream said:
you should write to them and say this. if they realized you were no longer applying there because of this, they might try to be a bit nicer in the future.

That's so odd...I talked to someone in the office, and with the director of admissions as well, asking a specific question about secondaries, and they were extremely nice about it...maybe you caught them on a bad day. =/

Yeah, it does suck getting mean people in the office. But you have to understand that there are maybe 2 secretaries handling every call that comes into the office. And when you have 3k over-anxious type-A premeds calling you for 8 hours a day, you are bound to get a bit cranky. Sure, there are important questions to be asked, but many are the unimportant and trivial ones, which consequently make up the majoriy of the calls.

What I am trying to say is cut these people some slack. Yeah, they may sound bitter and cranky, but you would be too.

Doko said:
Al Einstein = MEAN secretaries!

YES!!! Whoever that Al Einstein sec. is....pure evil.

On the other hand, I spoke to Albany the other day, very,very kind secretary, and she even called me back very quickly as promised!