Calling Admissions Offices?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weix11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So right now there is this one school that I'm waiting on a post-interview decision. I am currently working in a research lab and I was wondering whether or not if it would be beneficial if my Lab P.I. called the admissions offices and talked to one of the deans of admissions and basically recommends me and talks about my work in the lab?

Your responses are appreciated,

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No.

Even if your PI writes a letter of recommendations instead of a phone call, I am uncertain it will be that much helpful. After the decision comes out, you may see if you can send a letter for updates later on and maybe attach that letter of recommendations.

Members don't see this ad :)
No I don't think that would be a good idea. If you're waitlisted, you could send in a letter of interest/letter of intent explaining why you're a good fit for the school and include any significant updates to your app (new activities, publications, etc.). It may help you, depending on the school and how much they value these letters. But for now, as you wait for a decision, just chill and hope for the best. Good luck.

I've seen PIs/professors who send an "email of recommendation" to the admissions office, basically just an LOR but not sent the formal way. Having him call the office would be silly. The best way would be to have him send an email to the admissions office with an LOR attached with whatever he wants to say.

Reactions: 1 user
As stated, no.

Just think about it from the admissions point of view.

Admissions: hello
PI: I recommend weix11
Admissions: Who are you
PI: His PI
Admissions: And then?
PI: No and then
Admissions: And then
PI: No and tehn
Admissions: And then........

If you want, you can just send an LOI and updates

Unless you are truly outstanding your pi is not going to stick his neck out for you. .. He had his own reputation to consider as well

This will have no effect whatsoever, even if your PI is a Nobel laureate. If you've been interviewed, they've most probably made a decision.

Patience is a virtue!

Hello,

So right now there is this one school that I'm waiting on a post-interview decision. I am currently working in a research lab and I was wondering whether or not if it would be beneficial if my Lab P.I. called the admissions offices and talked to one of the deans of admissions and basically recommends me and talks about my work in the lab?

Your responses are appreciated,

Thanks

It would probably only have an effect if you PI was on the admissions committee.

It would probably only have an effect if you PI was on the admissions committee.

and then he can just call himself:
Dr. Doe- Hello, this is Dr. Doe I think ______ would be a great fit at Med U.
Dr. Doe- Thanks for your input Dr. Doe but he came across like a psychopath during his interview.
Dr. Doe- Well, he must have just been nervous, I he's been the best undergrad dish washer I've ever had in my lab.
Dr. Doe- Thanks, but no thanks, we've already decided to reject him, sans a large family contribution.

and then he can just call himself:
Dr. Doe- Hello, this is Dr. Doe I think ______ would be a great fit at Med U.
Dr. Doe- Thanks for your input Dr. Doe but he came across like a psychopath during his interview.
Dr. Doe- Well, he must have just been nervous, I he's been the best undergrad dish washer I've ever had in my lab.
Dr. Doe- Thanks, but no thanks, we've already decided to reject him, sans a large family contribution.

I doubt it. It wouldn't be a game changer but I can't imagine the PI putting a good word for him being a bad thing

What if the PI is somehow affiliated with the medical school? I imagine that would change things. I can't see how it would hurt.

I think in the specific instance of the PI being affiliated with the med school in question, it could make a difference, if the PI is well known to a member or members of the committee. For MD/PhD it's a whole 'nother set of issues but I'm assuming that's not what's being asked here.